walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gies a Bhreac

Gies a Bhreac

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 16/03/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 600m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beep,beep,beep,beep 4.30am and the alarm wakes me for another day of fun and frolics in the mountains with a motley crew known as The Munro Meanderers,this time the crew consist of Jonny616(founder),
Quoman,Dawnfoth,Scottish Leaf,Andy Millar 1 and yours truly GLW.4 hrs later and we are all suited & booted and leaving Linn of Dee in fine mild weather heading for Beinn Bhreac & Beinn a"Chaorainn,we know this will be a long day 31k,but very little acent at just over 900 meters give or take,and we reckon should take around 10 hrs.

Now anyone who knows the walk from Linn of Dee to Derry Lodge will recomend taking a bike to shorten the day,but were purists,well some of us are anyway,some of us cannie go a bike,and some of us have found, shall we say,other ways of shortening the days,but when you walk with me,its all walking,and always will be cause I"m the "purist".We new the weather would take a turn for the worse later in the afternoon so a brisk pace was set and just over an hour after leaving Linn of Dee we are at Derry Lodge,we take a 5 min break here then turn right after the lodge on a good path and head up through whats left of the Caledonian pine trees,for me this area is a truly stunning area and I will never tire of coming here.

Tons of laughs and plent merry making,make the walking a pleasure as we gain height and reach the snow line around 600 meters,but no need for crampons today,the top layer of snow is soft and giving,with a nice sold base below that allows you to dig in with your boots.We can see a party of 3 other walkers behind us and catching up to us at a fair rate,and soon we stop to let them pass,but they stop for a wee chat and one says "how are you jonny" and pulls of his balaclava thats covering his face from the now cold biting wind,its none other than Leithy Suburbs,his girlfriend Basecaddet,and Basecaddets dad Steve,handshakes and greetings exchanged all round,a brief chat where you going and such like,the three of them walk in front of us,and disappear into the clag & ever falling and getting heavier snow.

On wards and upwards,the wind picking up,the snow falling more and more,the clag getting thicker,we all fall into a line with no more than 6 feet between us,all looking back to check the person behindis still there with visability now down to no more than a few feet,we eventualy reach the summit and catch up with Dougie and his group,the weather now has taken a fair turn for the worse,a few quick pictures taken,then we get moving,Jonny takes a bearing,I check his bearing,Quoman checks his GPS,and off we go,the plan is walk 100 steps,stop,take another bearing,check the bearing,check GPS,and repeat,we see Dougie & party doing the same we think,but in this weather its not clear whats happening,after 3/4 reps of 100 steps,take a beaing,check the bearing,check the GPS we stop and have a re think,do we continue,or bail,we know we can navigate our way through this,we know we will get to the 2nd summit at some point,but its going to take a big effort from us all to do this,so after a wee pow-wow,we call it a day,turn and take a bearing for the Fife Arms to return and fight another day.

This was a joint decision,and the right decision,we wonder where Dougie has gone,we also know Dougie is a fine navigaitor,and has plenty of experience along with Basecaddet and her dad,but we all hope they are good.Once wee drop back down a few hundered meters food is taken & the sledging begins,and once back at Braemar some light refreshments are taken before heading for home with the Wales vs England rugby match on the radio,Andy sleeps in the back,Jonny jumps up and down,and generally gets stressed out his box,I drive,say nothing,but have a smug smile on my face,just another brilliant day with the MM crew.
001.JPG
Ready for the off
002.JPG
The gooch,you need to be there
003.JPG
Glen Lui
004.JPG
Me taking a pic,of them taking a pic of me
005.JPG
5 min break at Derry Lodge
007.JPG
The tree is mounted
009.JPG
Caledonian Pines
010.JPG
Time for winter gear
012.JPG
Beinn Bhreac summit
013.JPG
Everybody having a great time
015.JPG
Eh,hello,anyone there
016.JPG
Group pow-wow
017.JPG
Andy Millar
018.JPG
Yours truly
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Gies a Bhreac

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm

excellent, when i saw your pics on fb i thought cairngorms, brilliant, also like "some of us canny go a bike" :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby rocket-ron » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:49 pm

well done guys :clap:
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby andy millar1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 pm

As ive said a few times now GLW glad to see you back out and up the mountains,great day but i think its time for me to take timeout and see if my foot gets better.Great day buddy!ps cheers for driving :crazy: pps my gooch was there and nearly got a swatch of yours!!!! :shock:
andy millar1

Postby jonny616 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Excellent account of a great day in spite of the weather :clap:
I with you on the bike front. Purist till I die :lol: :lol:
here are a couple more pics
016 (1280x850).jpg
you taking me taking you
027 (1280x850).jpg
Dawn showing no fear by standing on icy tree while the boys shuffle like big blouses
069 (1280x960).jpg
Us plus Leithy & co
086 (1280x960).jpg
Where did Gammy go? Oh there he is!
094 (1280x960).jpg
View from our lunch spot
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:40 pm

Love the photos of all of you taking photos...and the 'white' picture :D :D Sounds like a good day out...isnt it always when you have company of friends? Like the idea of not using bikes :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Tomsie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Looked a cold day, glad the foots holding up, bikes are fun you dont even have to peddle back
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby pigeon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Nae bikes,i go along with you there Gammy :lol: Good decision to turn round as well ,no the place to be bumbling about ,no long till spring/summer now so there'll be plenty days to get back up there :wink: Well done team
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the day with you boys, even if it was a repeat for me. Will be taking my bike for the other hill. :D :lol: See you all soon x x :angel:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Glad you've got out again Willie and still in one piece :lol: Looked like a fun day and some great photos :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Good to see you out and about Gammy, I see the clag followed you again :roll: Wise decision turning for home I reckon, it's that time of year where conditions really do change in an instant, still a great day out with excellent company by the look of it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Good to see your continuing mountain rehab is going well Gammy. Looks like you all had fun even though the conditions weren't the best. Right decision on turning back in my opinion,no fun trudging onwards in those conditions just for the sake of it & on the plus side,you now have a good reason to go back! Hopefully catch up with you again at some point this year.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby nathan79 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:19 pm

I can sympathise with those conditions look much less fun the the conditions I had on my trips out last week. Good to see you going for bigger routes now. Don't envy your early set-off though!

I've never yet bumped into another Walkhighlander on the hills. I hope to sometime soon.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby quoman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 pm

It was a good day oot again with the gang plenty of laughs nae falling over or in hole's :lol: we done the right thing in bailing out which made for a better day,plus we wouldnt have the chance for the bumsliding which Dawn won :clap: :clap: .
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Green with envy :sick:
Blue because I wasn't out you :-x

But I would have been white as a sheet if I got lost in those conditions :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well done guys and girly in shorts! :clap: :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland