walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowy Whitehope Law

Snowy Whitehope Law

Postby wjshaw2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Whitehope Law

Date walked: 21/03/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 5.6 km

Ascent: 360m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A very snowy day, but with none falling and patchy blue skies, this looked like it was going to be a lovely walk. And it was, but my hopes to carry on to Blackhope Scar along the ridge dissolved fairly quickly as it was slow going with ankle-thigh deep snow, none of which was quite frozen enough to support my weight. Oh to be a mountain hare skipping along the surface...mind you, this is a grouse moor so I suspect the farmer thinks hares are his enemies: nasty tick infested things.

But having parked by the B709 I was soon getting lovely views.

Looking N to Burntshell Rig and beyond.jpg
Looking N to Burntshell Rig and beyond

Windlestraw Law from the West.jpg
Windlestraw Law

The snow did start to have a frozen crust towards the top, but only rarely so that it could support me so it was a foot deep slog to the top. A good slog.

21032013566.jpg
A disused trap on Earnhope Slack

The wind picked up heading for the top bringing a light drifting of snow and chilling my face to the point of balaclava-neediness for the first time this winter.

Whitehope Law from the North, 300m from summit.jpg
Nearing the summit from the N

The top reached, photos were taken and second layer of gloves applied.

Dun Rig and Dollar Law from Whitehope Law.jpg
The hills of last week seen from the summit - Dun Rig, Glenrath Heights and Stob Law with Dollar Law on the right.

Down Leithen Water from the top of Whitehope Law.jpg
Down Leithen Water

I headed off to do some of the ridge towards Blackhope Scar getting as far as the 607m lump.

Broughton Heights over Glentress Forest from 607m lump N of Whitehope Law.jpg
Broughton Heights over Glentress Forest from 607m lump

A little further on I decided that there was little point in tramping along the ridge much further so decided to descend by about the steepest slope around. Which was fun. I restrained my urge to sledge...

The way down.jpg
The way down

And back to the car, meeting a hard working shepherd on the way, struggling to feed his sheep. Even his dogs looked like they would prefer to be indoors.

Another Donald climbed, again on a slightly shorter route than I'd hoped. I daresay the bogs would put you off getting all the way to Blackhope Scar in the summer, but I will do that all one day. Perhaps traverse all the Moorfoot Donalds in one go...?
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:64
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

Re: Snowy Whitehope Law

Postby hills » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 am

Goodness, wonder what this hill will look like after the promised huge dump of snow tomorrow, bad enough now eh. Often looked at this hill as a winter pick, but not sure how good the road would be, was it gritted?
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 am

That sounds like hard going! would not fancy being up there in a whiteout though. :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby wjshaw2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:05 am

The road was completely clear - ploughed and gritted and no ice. As I was heading back to Edinburgh there was the odd patch of windblown snow creeping onto the side of the road. A further freeze might make that nasty, but it was fine yesterday.
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:64
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

Postby gmr82 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:49 am

Nice timely report, hoping to do Whitehope and Windlestraw Law tomorrow and good to hear it does (at some point) get gritted. Keeping an eagle eye on the snow forecast though.
You had some not bad weather at points, looks like white cloud and blue sky in some :) . Hopefully the snow will have frozen enough to support my weight whenever I do make it :lol:
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Nice one, still got this one to do which will be handy when i want a nice short day. Cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland