walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Week Walking

Week Walking

Postby Tomsie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Route description: The Falls of Bruar, near Blair Atholl

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Mór (Glencoe), Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 23/03/2013

Time taken: 15 hours

Distance: 42 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejE7bENjzuM&feature=player_detailpage

Week started off arriving at Independent hostel in Glencoe on Monday night, with weather and avalanche forecasts not favourable for Munro walking, plus after leaving box of maps at home along with some other things decided on the Pap as best option, drove down to car park from hostel only a short distance away prob a half mile but wasnt sure of this beforehand. The day was clear and the route from here was well sheltered from the easterly wind, saw mountain rescue out with a group what looked like an education course further up the hill from me before I crossed first bridge as if heading towards Clachaig Inn before the path cuts back to the Pap again further up, as I hit the snow met 2 young guys who turned back because they couldnt find the path in the snow. As I reached the flatish part just under the Pap I was down on my knees the wind was that strong thinking might have to turn back here, sat there maybe 5 mins which felt longer for the wind to ease off a bit, I climbed straight up over the rocks and made my own path scrambling over what I felt comfortable with but knowing I wasnt going to descend this way. Once at the top took a few pics but didnt stay long as wind was too strong and too cold there, headed off a bit further east as on WH route and back at car just after 14.00, took a spin to Glen Etive to pass away rest of afternoon.

Met office app with sun all day, decided to do Meall Mor just behind the hostel, after getting bit of advice from Keith for best route headed away across the River Coe as it was low enough to walk across, but the clouds were low and was snowing lightly. Walked through the visitor centre and up the forrestry track to just beyond the tree line and theres another track and path that takes you up the hill with views to Beinn a Bheithir if the day is good I got some glimpses of that ridge :lol: . The hill is big enough just 50ft short of a corbett and has a nice ridge on the top, didnt get the views that I wanted like the ones I was after seeing looking up Glencoe. Made my way back down the same way.

Up early next day to drive up to Kintail to meet Wullie and Alec for what was originally planned on the Monday, but the weather was bad so today Thursday was looking a lot better and it didnt disappoint :) , blue skies all the way up. We set off from the Loch and the path is excellent just the way I like walking uphill zig zag plus we were blocked from the wind, started to get a bit of slog once we get to the plateau snow being deep in parts hard ice other parts. Reaching Carn Ghluasaid just after 2 hrs, by the time we got to the beleach Sgurr nan Conbhairean the weather was horrendous strong winds, bitter cold, we changed clothes here gloves, goggles whatever to make it a bit warmer, when we got to the top decided 2 was enough for today in this weather, so made our way back down same way stopping for a late lunch just after 13.30 behind not so sheltered area but I did pick the spot :crazy: . Once back at the cars said goodbyes and made my way to Kingussie.

Plan was to do another graham Creag Ruadh before making way to Blairgowrie for the nav course on Saturday, but everyone will know the amount of snow and strongs winds :( :( we had on Friday wasnt going onto any hill much to the relief of lady from B & B, so she told me about the Bruar Falls walk. I parked in the car park at the Bruar House and took the path up through the forrest and down other side taking a good few photo,s on my way. As I still had time to kill stopped at Pitlochryand went on another walk from the town around the Dam and up by the small loch. Unfortunately the course had being cancelled by this time because of the weather but decided to stay at Blairgowrie anyway and maybe do another walk on Saturday nearer Braemar, but that road was closed so took the A90 back home. Unpacked gear and repacked for Torridon :) :)

Video might be a bit long 8)

http://youtu.be/ejE7bENjzuM
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Tomsie on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Week Walking

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:23 pm

sounds like you made the most out of your week away :clap:
..keep meaning to stop and do the falls of Bruar walk ...always fancied breaking a journey with this walk ..but each time ive stopped ive just ended up in the cafe lol!!
fingers crossed you get better weather in Torridon :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Tomsie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:33 am

Cheers Alice was a great little walk better than I expected . I didn't go to cafe or to check out the posh toilets I heard about.

Here's hoping for good weather up there
Tomsie
Walker

Postby jonny616 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 am

You certainly made the most of a bad weather week. Hope you all get good weather in Torridon, I've only been there (walking) in the clag :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Tomsie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Cheers jonny better then sitting about even if I nearly froze.

Is Torridon worth walking with no views?
Tomsie
Walker

Postby morag1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Shame about the weather but seems like you made the most of your week, so well done :D

I've always wanted to see the Falls of Bruar but never managed it yet. I have been up Meall Mor though and like you I went up the logging track from the visitor centre. We were there just after a period of heavy rain and there were dozens of lovely waterfalls all the way down the hill. 8)
morag1

Postby Tomsie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks Morag, if you like waterfalls you, ll like that walk.
Didnt see any falls up there to much snow, but hope you got the view up Glencoe from summit.
Tomsie
Walker

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:25 pm

Gosh, you did get a shite week for weather didn't you? My mate Steve often has the same problem :lol:
Good effort though John. I did the Pap at the height of summer, which was spring last year :lol: when it was scorchio!! I had to stop every 5 minutes to wipe the sweat from my brow and catch any oxygen that might be in the air, but the wee scramble to the summit was great as were the views. Glad you got a couple of Munros in too - I still have the 3rd one left to do too! Looks like you, Wullie, Johnny and I have a mission to complete! :D Hopefully get out with you soon for those 3 at Newtonmore! :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby ceaser » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:23 pm

well done john on getting some walking done ,in whats been a poor week weather wise AND getting down off the hills without making any phone calls :lol:
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:52
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1

Postby Tomsie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 pm

dawnfoth wrote: Hopefully get out with you soon for those 3 at Newtonmore! :D

:lol: :lol: I gave up on them, they wont be Munro's by the time we get round to them, I was gasping for breath only cus the wind was too strong to get any air :crazy: :lol:

Who's counting anyway :think:

ceaser wrote:well done john on getting some walking done ,in whats been a poor week weather wise AND getting down off the hills without making any phone calls :lol:

I went up the smaller one's so spider could come get me :D :D
Tomsie
Walker

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:07 am

Quality Tomsie your no a man to be sitting about are you 5 walks in a week good going.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 pm

nice one Tomsie, who did you change clothes with ? is this something new ? still watching the video btw :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Tomsie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 pm

Change clothes??

Yeah its a bit long :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Tomsie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 pm

quoman wrote:Quality Tomsie your no a man to be sitting about are you 5 walks in a week good going.

No Wullie go off me head sitting about unless I, m working :lol: :o
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 am

Some nice photos on your video...like the ones from the wee waterfall taken from above :D Sounds like you made most of the week! Well done!!! :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland