walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The sub-zero camping, 4 Munros and a scary whiteout

The sub-zero camping, 4 Munros and a scary whiteout

by Mountainlove » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 12/03/2013

Time taken: 7.2 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The sub-zero camping, 4 Munros and a scary whiteout

Postby headless spectre » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Great report, your very couragous.

I often use my car as a sleeping place particularly when travelling to and from the highlands and I also like a drink to relax and help me sleep.
Does anyone know the law concerning this as i am always afraid that i will be accussed of drink driving, I put the car keys in the glove box. But you must be able to drink in a camper van so why not a car. Do you have to not be in the driver seat?
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:59 pm

well done, i`d love to go out and do that myself, i bet that wait ,waiting on the person with the head torch to say something as they passed went on for ever ?
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:29 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:Fab report, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I got taught a lesson on these four, in high winds, thick clag and thumping rain.
Was horrible...... made even worse by the cloud lifting as I got back down the last one :lol:
The best view I had all day were of that ugly "cairn."
Many thanks...urgh your 'best' picture of the cairn...mmm dont think that was your highlight of the day :crazy:

scoob999 wrote:Camping in the snow :? Are you mad! :shock: Ooops sorry......of course you are :shock: :lol: :lol:

One has to be :crazy: but at least there are a few more out on this site 8) :lol:

malky_c wrote:Nice one, with some lovely pictures between the white :) . Good to get caught in a good whiteout once in a while - keeps you on your toes (or knees if you end up descending steeply without noticing it initially).
Getting lost seems to be a common theme on these hills - noticed it in other reports and have managed to contour right round a minor summit myself and ended up going back the way I came :roll:

I wish I woudl have noticed that when I read some of the reports before I started the walk!! Would have taken even more care...but getting lost makes a day sometimes (well at the end anyway!!) :D

PeteR wrote:Great report and stunning photos :D Loved the video too. They're the sort of windy conditions I quite enjoy :D

Yes the wind was amazing...although some stretches were pretty bad...first time I had wished for an bavaclava!!

dogplodder wrote:Great pictures. :D

I've thought this before but you are one tough cookie! :clap:

Thanks for the compliment :D

headless spectre wrote:Great report, your very couragous.
I often use my car as a sleeping place particularly when travelling to and from the highlands and I also like a drink to relax and help me sleep.
Does anyone know the law concerning this as i am always afraid that i will be accussed of drink driving, I put the car keys in the glove box. But you must be able to drink in a camper van so why not a car. Do you have to not be in the driver seat?

I was asking around and what I was told is that as long as your car keys are not in reach , it is ok to sit in the car to have a drink, otherwise it is seen as 'Drunk In Charge'. Maybe worth while, not to sit in the drivers seat either.

tomyboy73 wrote:well done, i`d love to go out and do that myself, i bet that wait ,waiting on the person with the head torch to say something as they passed went on for ever ?

OMG it felt like ages :lol: :lol: But the thought of doing a Munro at night crossed my mind 8) :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby seamus0 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Great report, love the sound in the video! I was looking at doing a wild camp for these next weekend. Where did u end up camping? Just wondering if there are any decent wee spots around the route?
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:50 pm

seamus0 wrote:Great report, love the sound in the video! I was looking at doing a wild camp for these next weekend. Where did u end up camping? Just wondering if there are any decent wee spots around the route?

I ended up camping next to the single track road which connects Milton Morenish / Edramucky with the Bridge of Balgie at Meggemie Outdoor Activity Centre. If you come from the south, drive past Killin until you see the signpost for Ben Lawers. There are lots of parking spaces and laybys were you could put your tent and from there it is not that far. The road to the starting point might be an idea, but it is pretty much fenced off, so I am not sure how easy it is to find a spot...but I heard that some people camped up there as well.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Superb ML :clap:
Mad as a monty and brave as a basscadet
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 am

Scotjamie wrote:Superb ML :clap:
Mad as a monty and brave as a basscadet

Lol many thanks!! :lol: :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 pm

My vote for report of the month :D :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby IndoorMunroist » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Terrific photographs
IndoorMunroist
Walker

Munros:66   

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland