walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CAER CARADOC IN THE SNOW

CAER CARADOC IN THE SNOW

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:28 am

Date walked: 09/01/2010

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, hope everyone is faring well with the snow, yesterday we chose to go south to Church Stretton where we knew the main roads would get us right to the hills, even so we parked further away than last time and walked up the lanes.
IMG_2695new.jpg
Setting off
IMG_2700new.jpg
Plenty of snow about
The following photo shows our route behind us
IMG_2703new.jpg
The way ahead
Going up before crampons
IMG_2708new.jpg
Pre crampon
It soon got time to fit them and it made life easier
IMG_2711new.jpg
Strike a pose
IMG_2716new.jpg
Kitted up
IMG_2718new.jpg
Just love the snow
IMG_2724new.jpg
Steve has a slide
IMG_2730new.jpg
Ice axe arrest
After the fun it was time to move on
IMG_2734new.jpg
Lovely scenery
IMG_2737new.jpg
Crampons off
IMG_2740new.jpg
The way ahead
We reached the top of The Lawley, where there were some skiers so we got a full group shot.
IMG_2745new.jpg
Summit
This is me at the top, please note that is fur from my hat and not my hair :lol:
IMG_2743new.jpg
Summit
The views were glorious as we returned to the car
IMG_2754new.jpg
Sunset
IMG_2760new.jpg
Time to go home
Before I finish I would just like to show you a photo from a local walk over Xmas, Dave and I were just having a sarnie sitting on a log when someone got up from the other end and well.........it's always me :lol:
PC280650new.jpg
Oh dear !
Thanks for looking, see you soon, love Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: CAER CARADOC IN THE SNOW

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:49 am

Great post - love the end pic! :lol: You look to have had a great day!
mountain coward

Postby mountain tortoise » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Nice pics as ever Sue. Always nice to see what you been up to. I am no good with a camera and as you often go to similar places as me it is nice to see some good picutres of those areas.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby 37lumleyst » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 am

Some lovely pics there Sue - I like the one with all of you 'Kitted up' and the one with the sun just behind the hill 'Time to go home'

Glad there were no misshaps with cars/snow and trees this time :D
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks for the comments, snow always gives great photos, it's just printing them off they always have a blue tinge, anyone get around this, don't know yet where we are this weekend, the road from us to the Peaks is shut this morning before Buxton :(
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 am

susanmyatt wrote:snow always gives great photos, it's just printing them off they always have a blue tinge, anyone get around this,

Not sure what system you use on your computer but if you right click the picture you want and select open with 'Microsoft Picture Manager' then when open, from the tool bar at the top click the drop down 'Picture' and click 'Auto Correct'

This takes all the blue tinges off any snowy pictures and make the colour a bit more vibrant 8) , then, when you print them the colours looks more as they were on the day. Personaly I then click 'Save As' and rename the picture - that way you always maintain the origenal should you not like the changes or want to do something else with it later :thumbup:

Hope this helps more than confuses :?
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:53 am

If using a different photo package, the thing you need to adjust is the 'colour balance'. You'd move this towards the warmer end to eliminate the blues.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:58 am

Thanks to both Pauls, have tried the auto correct but it brightens the picture so if you print it the sharpness falls off quite a lot, will try the latter. We had a snow photo when i went the lakes last year put on canvas and when I asked the printing chappie he said he would alter the saturation, may be a posh term for the balance :lol: Thanks very much, Sue
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland