walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

East and West Lomond in the sun and snow

East and West Lomond in the sun and snow

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Lomond, West Lomond

Date walked: 30/03/2013

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 429m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today looked promising compared with weather of late, so it was a quick dash over to Fife to pick a couple of 2000 hills East and West Lomond. After a week of DIY I felt in need of a blowout and some fresh air, left the Maspie Den car park just after 0905 hrs and headed up the East Lomond first, wow still a lot of snow about, did not expect quite so much. Both Lomond hills are very popular and there have been many reports written so I'm not going into great detail re directions as they are both very easily climbed and both have tracks most of the way.
1.JPG
First views of both East and West Lomond from the Freuchie Road looking West
2.JPG
Car Park at the start in Maspie Den, cross the road and pass through the style
3.JPG
Good track with a good covering of snow runs between two stone dykes
4.JPG
East Lomond in the distance
5.JPG
Looking back at Bishop's Hill
6.JPG
I found the owner of the discarded sledge later on in the walk, the sledge was being pulled by one of her dogs, West Lomond in the distance
7.JPG
Getting nearer to the climbing bit, easy going so far!
8.JPG
From summit view point looking towards West Lomond, yes it's blue skies!
9.JPG
View over Falkland from the summit of East Lomond
10.JPG
Have now returned to the car park time now 0950hrs, and now heading off on the track on from the rear of the car park which is signposted to West Lomond. Track turns to your right and you come to a gate, after the gate turn left and walk with the woods on your left and a stone dyke and track on your right, this track takes you to the bottom of the hill
11.JPG
Quite a lot of snow has fallen, I don't think I will include Bishop Hill today, too much snow and tussocks to clamber over.
12.JPG
Track carries on and beyond on the North side of the hill
13.JPG
East Lomond and Harperleas Reservoir on the right
14.JPG
Cairn on top of West Lomond
15.JPG
Trig point
16.JPG
Plenty of the white stuff here also

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: East and West Lomond in the sun and snow

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi Rod

I always find a bit of DIY every now and again helps with discussions/negotiations over future walking plans, only this afternoon I have offered to paint the lounge and whilst I'm not looking forward to it, tactically it should prove to be time well spent :lol: :lol:

It must be about 10 years since I walked these two hills and that was in summer so good to see them with their winter coats on. Their a bit busy for me, another couple of hills to do on a friday me thinks.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

I always find a bit of DIY every now and again helps with discussions/negotiations over future walking plans, only this afternoon I have offered to paint the lounge and whilst I'm not looking forward to it, tactically it should prove to be time well spent :lol: :lol:

It must be about 10 years since I walked these two hills and that was in summer so good to see them with their winter coats on. Their a bit busy for me, another couple of hills to do on a friday me thinks.

Hi Gordie, an early start helped, well just back of nine, up and down East in 45mins met three others, car park a bit busier when passing through to do the West and met a couply of guys going up, but as you say much busier on the way down. Did not fancy hills this Sunday, roads and hills far too busy, so went into Wicks on the way back (to keep in the good books), so I guess that's my Sunday filled up, but who knows Monday, maybe, as you say, DIY does seem to make it easier to get away some :lol: :lol: times. Both hills are good with a snow covering very easy walking not much climbing.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 am

We drove past the Lomonds yesterday and I was quite surprised to see as much snow. Looks a great walk to do in these conditions but I tend to avoid them at the weekend due to them being so busy. What was the wee road to the carpark like?
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby naepace » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

Sarah, I couldn't tell you if the road is clear of snow at the moment but I'm 100% sure these conditions will have done nothing for the road surface which wasn't great beforehand. I'm developing a severe hatred of potholes !
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:38 am

Nice wee walk and done in quick time :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 pm

dooterbang wrote:Nice wee walk and done in quick time :)

Hi dooterbang, yes fine wee walk, maybe better a week day or as I did early on in the day, but with a bit of snow on, makes a fine mornings work and not too far to drive for me anyway :D It was quite slippy on top so take care, ideal for Yaktrax.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby hills » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Nice. I cant believe how many hills in the central highlands that you can see these 2 from, and it works in reverse, lovely viewpoint. East Lomond in particular is a firm favourite of mine, very busy hills though....
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Sarah86 wrote:We drove past the Lomonds yesterday and I was quite surprised to see as much snow. Looks a great walk to do in these conditions but I tend to avoid them at the weekend due to them being so busy. What was the wee road to the carpark like?

Hi Sarah86, the wee road up to the carpark from the centre of Falkland was clear of snow, but ca canny there are some deep holes so watch your speed and suspension, I went in one, ouch! :o
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 pm

hills wrote:Nice. I cant believe how many hills in the central highlands that you can see these 2 from, and it works in reverse, lovely viewpoint. East Lomond in particular is a firm favourite of mine, very busy hills though....

Your right there hills, I was on the hill early and off by lunchtime, but by then it was getting busier. It was obvious buy the amount of footsteps in the snow how popular they are, but a cracking winter walk all the same.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Sarah86 wrote:We drove past the Lomonds yesterday and I was quite surprised to see as much snow. Looks a great walk to do in these conditions but I tend to avoid them at the weekend due to them being so busy. What was the wee road to the carpark like?

Hi Sarah86, the wee road up to the carpark from the centre of Falkland was clear of snow, but ca canny there are some deep holes so watch your speed and suspension, I went in one, ouch! :o

Thanks :) I have been up the wee road before but not so keen on driving in the snow, not the nights are clearer it would be nice to have a quick walk up East Lomond. Yeah, those pot holes can be a nightmare, the road to the reservoir for walking Bishop Hill is a nightmare too, was zig zagging all over the place!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby alvason » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Nice! Refreshing story and fine pics, Rod. Never been up these hills but often viewed from Edinburgh. My great-grandparents lived in Falkland so I sort of feel attached to the area. Well done!
alvason
Ambler

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:23 am

alvason wrote:Nice! Refreshing story and fine pics, Rod. Never been up these hills but often viewed from Edinburgh. My great-grandparents lived in Falkland so I sort of feel attached to the area. Well done!

Hi Adam, yes it's amazing how these two stand out and can be viewed from so many places,
IMG_2795.JPG
The Lomonds from Ben Chonzie
Hope to do a few more in these parts soon, but had a wee bit of a tumble coming off West Lomond and bruised some ribs, well I guess if your going to have a slip that's the place to do it :lol: so will see how the recovery goes. Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Good stuff Rod, two lovely hills these. I did them along with the other Sub on a nice cold crisp day. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland