walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CMD Arete & Ben Nevis, Alpine Style...?!

CMD Arete & Ben Nevis, Alpine Style...?!

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 30/03/2013

Time taken: 8.45 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1555m

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kerri (from my circuit class :wink: ) donned crampons for the first time last month and spent 10 minutes descending ice when we did the Horns of Alligin in Torridon. The experience obviously had her salivating for more crampon action as she purchased a nice shiny new pair of Grivel crampons and a Grivel ice axe :)

The Easter weekend promised a windless blue skied sunshine laden affair so I hatched a plan to take in the CMD Arete & Ben Nevis.

This would be Kerri's 4th & 5th Munros and had the possibility of her wearing crampons along a narrow ridge for the 1st time. We had done Striding Edge, Tarmachan Ridge & Beinn Alligin these last few months but the snow was soft then, if any, apart from some ice we encountered and my guess the highest mountain in the UK would provide some sooper dooper crampon action :) .

Friday night was spent taking in some banter at the Glasgow Comedy Festival with Bruce Morton & his Greater Shawlands Republic but we still rose at 5.15am Saturday morning and left Glasgows West End 6am bound for The North Face Car Park at Torlundy arriving 8am and good to go at 8.30am.

As predicted the sun was very much shining , some cloud did occasionally block the topping up of the winter/spring/summer tan though :? :lol: 8)

We headed SE for 6k, which was mainly all uphill, to reach Carn Mor Dearg. The views to the North Face of Ben Nevis stunning :)

Kerri enjoying the feel of crampons on her feet and ice axe in hand :)

CMD Arete to my left (your right).

The snow was compact and hard above 600M and was perfect for crampon use.

Nearing the summit of CMD we witnessed the MR helicopter attend a call for help from what I believe is Tower Ridge. I'm hoping all was well and that the use of a flare from those requiring help indicated no casualties.

After 4 hours we eventually arrived at the summit of CMD to be presented by the most amazing views in all directions but particularly South to the Mamore Range and beyond :D

At the Summit of CMD an Englishman, a Pole and a Czech girl (sorry, can't think of a joke) arrived shortly afterwards and would also be doing the Arete which now lay ahead of us.

The Arete looked razor edged with boulders protruding above the snowline...we set off with excitement and fear :shock: :) 8)

After a few awkward moves I stopped to think if this was safe for Kerri who only had minimal ridge, snow, crampon & ice axe experience. I asked her how she felt and the reply was assured so knowing that she handled previous ridges we moved on. By this time we had let the Euro group ahead of us which was handy as we could follow them and see how they handled any tricky moves.

A better perspective....

The Arete turned out to be fantastic fun. I wouldn't have felt that safe if the snow had been softer though. On 2 occasions we had to use our hands and clamber over the top of some icy boulders but apart from that it was fine. You do require a head for heights and good balance as the exposure on either side could unsettle you.

Nearing the end of the Arete we witnessed some crazy dude gliding/parachuting in what looked like his bivvy sack :shock: :shock: :lol: 8)

We now had a 200M climb to the summit of the highest mountain in the UK. The snow was again compact and perfect for crampons and ice axe. Without an ice axe and crampons a punishing fall into Glen Nevis would be the probable outcome as you required these to reach the summit.

I loved this section of the walk/climb due to the physical challenge, stunning views and sense of adventure.
Just before the top I waited on Kerri as she was not far behind, due to the steepness I had to stand as sitting would be dangerous :shock: . Kerri admitted this section was difficult. She's fit but she's not hill fit yet :wink: :)

After 6 hours we finally reach the summit of Ben Nevis - check out the view :D

Time for a pose... :)

The snow covered observatory shelter

We found a quiet spot after reaching the summit and had a bite to eat before descending to the half way lochan. We took a fun route down coire na h-urchaire which found us sliding down on our backsides for a few hundred metres - big smiles all around :D :D :lol: 8)

At the half way lochan head North for 4K back to the car park. I followed the Allte a Choire Dhuibh which was snow covered and made the walk more pleasant. It was only the final 1.5K through the woodlands that hurt the old legs, the joys of 4 season boots :? !!

On route home we stopped at the Clachaig Inn for food and a beer. Was delighted to find the veggie option was a tasty puy lentil pie with puff pastry :)

In Alpine like conditions this walk is simply superb and I recommend if you haven't yet experienced it then to think about giving it a go...when the weather is kind. It's equally fun in summer time to without the snow.

Thanks to Kerri for joining me on such a wonderful day, we truly are blessed :wink:
Last edited by dooterbang on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: CMD Arete & Ben Nevis, Alpine Style...?!

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:33 pm

Wow Dooter that was brilliant! Fantastic excitement and views all round. :clap: And well done to Kerri going for it!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby mountainstar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Brilliant Dooter :clap:
Really WOW!!! Photo's as usual, you have the knack of finding great weather 8)
I love the Nicolas Cage Hollywood CGI snow explosion behind you that you got your movie mates to create on the Summit :clap: :shock: :wink:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:09 pm

well done DB and Kerri (from circuits) .. cracking day and cracking pics.
If you were as fit as me you could have done it the way i did and add in the aonachs and the grey corries beforehand :wink:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:16 pm

stunning photos here, absolutely stunning.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Malckyb » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:11 pm

What really stunning pictures and what a day you got. Must have been so awesome...you are lucky people indeed!! :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Well done to you both and congratulations on the day choice as the captured views are truly spectacular.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:54 am

Brilliant once again :D We were on Druim Fada and saw the helicopter hovering and did wonder if someone was in trouble. We also saw the crazy paraglider :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby morag1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:35 am

Fantastic report, love this :clap: :clap: :clap:

The CMD arete is way too scary for me, I know I'll never be up there so it's good of you to show me what it looks like :lol:

That first photo would win the monthly comp no problem 8)
morag1

Postby pebbles-2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:40 am

Superb photos!! What a stunning day you had. I long to do that walk, but think my first go will be without snow, however tempting it looks. Kerri is very brave indeed. 8)
pebbles-2

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 am

Nice to see big smiles all over the hills! :lol: There's nothing better than happy climbers jumping for joy on the mountain top...

Seriously, what an Easter we had this year - made up for the dodgy March days...We had four days off, four days spent hillwalking, scrambling up snowy slopes, enjoying the sunshine.

CMD Arere looks great in white :D I did The Ben from the "lazy" side, before I was confident enough to even try any scrambling. Have to come back and complete the traverse.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 am

Oh yes - doesn't get much better than that 8)

I've slid down some remaining snow in the Red Burn before, but never had proper winter conditions on the arete.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 am

Absolutely stunning, God it does not get better than that, what an experience. Thank's for posting! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jenniferc6 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm

brilliant photos, it must have been a great day out :)
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:183
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Postby Bod » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

One to look at again and again :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland