walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime in winter, Ice Snow and Gales

Beinn Ime in winter, Ice Snow and Gales

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 am

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 10/01/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday Morning, Up at 6.30am, The plan to walk up the path to Beinn Ime first and if we have time To do Beinn Narnain on the return. Planned the route in Satmap software and entered our walking speed, 1.5 kph, always add what I guess is going to be half our actual walking average, this way I can see if we have enough time to complete the walk before dark.
Looking good, quick check of this site and it gives 6-7 hours, roughly same as my calculations.
Wrong, took us 6hours and 40mins to just get up Beinn Ime and back to the car, Starting at sunrise and back as the sun was setting, First Munro of 2010, but hardest walk we have ever done.

2010-01-10Beinn-Ime.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We had done the cobbler last year so knew the path up to the top of the valley, This was the usual if not icy zig zag, we made it as far as the bench, then the crampons were on, this may have been too soon, but falling on the lower slopes was a risk. When we reached the Dam the path was less icy and more compact snow, but crampons were now on so we carried on.
IMG_5246.jpg
The zig zag path, only 100 metres up
IMG_5247.jpg
At the bench, getting crampons on and a wee robin comes to see if there is any food
IMG_5249.jpg
Path up, not too bad just compact snow
IMG_5269.jpg
Crossing the burns on the path
IMG_5289.jpg
Nearing the top of the valley, looking back the way we had come

The last time we were in the mist so it was good to see the cobbler and the views were great back down the path
IMG_5263.jpg
Ben Lomond
IMG_5265.jpg
The cobbler

We finaly made it to the top of the valley and were deserted by the other walkers who either went up the cobbler or turned back, The wind had now hit us, we sorted out our clothes and set of with GPS in hand. It was a long steep climb, at 900m the wind was gusting, knocking you onto your knees and the ice axe was brought into play a few times to reach the summit. The wind was so strong we crouched at the summit, took some pictures and got off as quick as we could before we were blown off.
IMG_5300.jpg
Beinn Ime
CIMG1266.jpg
Ridge line at top
CIMG1268.jpg
The top
CIMG1269.jpg
Views from top
CIMG1272.jpg
The way back
CIMG1274.jpg
The trig point minus the trig?
CIMG1275.jpg
So windy I dont know what direction the camera was pointed
CIMG1276.jpg
Ben lomond in the distance
CIMG1277.jpg
Trying to find shelter
CIMG1280.jpg
Trying to stand up

We set off without any lunch, had tried to find shelter but lost one sit mat in the wind, and it was now past 1pm. The desent to the 800m mark was slow, once out the worst of the wind it was then a slow trog back the way we came. We were not cold thanks to all the new clothes, but fatigue was setting in, by the time we found shelter and had some food it was 2.30pm, I took off my crampons, a mistake so at the start of the zig zag path they went back on. Knees were in bits by now and we stumbled back to the car. As we have only been doing this for 10 months it has shown us that we are still not fit enough for 7 hour trogs in the snow. All in all great day out but took a lot longer than planned.
IMG_5314.jpg
Comming back down Ime
IMG_5317.jpg
View of cobbler
IMG_5324.jpg
Beinn Ime ice and snow all the way
IMG_5342.jpg
Narnain and Cobbler
Last edited by allansmitchell on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Beinn Ime in winter, Ice Snow and Gales

Postby David.Ferguson » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Looks COOOOOOOOOOOld.
Think you got better visibility on Sunday than i did on Saturday though i never had the wind to contend with on Cruach Ardrain.

Your shots are great.

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby bazer100 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:51 pm

nice write up and pictures, man yous got better views of ben lomond than i did, and i was on the damn thing, total white out at the top on sunday.. looked a good day for yous

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Couldnt have asked for better views, from 800 metres the wind was blowing gusts of ice and snow into our eyes(dont know the technical term) so you couldnt realy stand to admire the views, I was carrying a small compact camera and my DSLR, the batterys were draining from fully charged to flat every 20 minutes so didnt take as many pics as the scene deserved. We could see the snow swirling around Ben Lomond, looked good from our view.

At the top I had put my DSLR away half way up so it didnt get in the way, so only used my wee compact to snap at the view, if it hadnt been so windy Im sure I would have spent ages up there snapping away.
Attachments
IMG_5260.jpg
Ben Lomond
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby Milesy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 pm

haha I swear to god that is the same Robin that accosted me for food at the bench on the zig zag path on my way to A'Chrois yesterday as well!!

Also.. we also were admiring the summit of Ben Lomond yesterday. Had an Everest summit look about it.

CIMG3139.JPG
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:16 am

Lovely pics - especially like the ones of the Cobbler from the back - not seen that view... in fact, never saw any of it before and I've done all those! :( I will be back to those 3 sometime though - just I'm gonna choose a better day.

Hope someone fed the poor robin out of the various groups who've seen it!
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 am

He looks pretty well fed to me in my picture... :lol:
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Blimey, you've come a long way since Duncryne Hill :shock: :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:16 pm

After Sunday the wee hills look like a good idea :lol:
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:53 am

Milesy wrote:He looks pretty well fed to me in my picture... :lol:

That's how they all look in winter - they're not fat, they've got their feathers fluffed up to try to keep warm!
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:22 am

Thats my excuse as well 8)
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland