walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Out of hibernation for a charning day in the Monadlaith

Out of hibernation for a charning day in the Monadlaith

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Route description: Geal Chàrn, Monadhliath

Munros included on this walk: Geal Chàrn (Monadhliath)

Date walked: 01/03/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 627m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Funny how it goes, you scan the weather forecasts for a decent spot of weather for weeks, then wander off to do something else and immediately your back's turned the weather gods come out to play. We almost missed the spell of good weather at the end of February but managed to squeeze in an outing on St David's day - so headed for the hills with a Dutch friend to celebrate living in Scotland :roll: :roll:

Menno had volunteered for this outing, having done some hill walking in the past and wanting to get back into it. We'd picked a relatively easy hill so that we (well I really) could build up a bit of fitness after the winter lay-off. It seems to me that even the so called 'uninteresting' mountains have their strengths and Geal Charn was a great way to ease ourselves back into the outdoors, it took us to a lovely area I'd never visited before (although the well-traveled Roger had bagged munros in the area and backpacked across the Corryairack Pass many years ago) and the route provided us all with the stimulation to get out again. Also a shortish walk meant a later start - hopefully late enough to miss the morning traffic on the Kessick Bridge. :problem:

Biggles and Bertie have never really understood why they've been consigned to low level, short walks for months so were eager to get going, and for most of the walk put on displays of energy their humans could only dream of.
Geal Charn 01 Come on then.jpg
Come on then!

Not much snow for most of the walk, weather good and views of the surrounding Monadhliath and over to Cairngorm let us indulge in some mountain spotting and future trip planning.
Geal Charn 02 Looking south.jpg
View south

Geal Charn 03 heading up.jpg
An easy romp up

Geal Charn 06 View from the top.jpg
Eying up the final push for the top

Geal Charn 04 Summit in sight.jpg
Cairn in sight

Geal Charn top - R&L 02.jpg
Liz and Roger make it!

Once at the top the dogs scoured the area round the cairn for any tasty left overs, until Menno altered their focus of attention with almond croissant - yes 1 for him and 1 for the dogs :?
Geal Charn 09 Roger & Menno at the top.jpg
Dogs hunt for left over lunches

Tempting views
Geal Charn 08 Looking south west.jpg
Views west

Geal Charn 10 Looking south.jpg
The Cairngorms

It was great fun having someone else with us, helping us put the world to rights, bribing our dogs and loving being out in the hills as much as we were. On the way down I couldn't help musing about the number of accidents this year that have also started out as a group of friends doing something they loved together, our venture today was a much simpler and safer one than theirs. But on the way south that morning we'd passed a serious looking accident on the A9 and as we neared the Garva Bridge it dawned on me that we were just about to start on the most dangerous thing we'd done that day - the drive home - and yes I was the driver :?
Geal Charn 11 Garva Bridge.jpg
Garva Bridge

Back at the car Biggles and Bertie were given a bridie that Menno had failed to eat - he's definitely a must for future walks :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Out of hibernation for a charning day in the Monadlaith

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Biggles and Bertie certainly looked like they enjoyed themselves. Good to be back out on the hills with a bit of blue sky to boot. Now for the next one. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Good to see B & B in action again - and doing the sniffer dog routine round the cairn! I'm sure my two think that's the purpose of climbing hills - so they can mop up fallout from other walkers' lunches! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:48 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Biggles and Bertie certainly looked like they enjoyed themselves. Good to be back out on the hills with a bit of blue sky to boot. Now for the next one. :)

Dogs love the hills - and there was plenty of blue sky on the next route! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30299

dogplodder wrote:Good to see B & B in action again - and doing the sniffer dog routine round the cairn! I'm sure my two think that's the purpose of climbing hills - so they can mop up fallout from other walkers' lunches! :D

Yeap - dogs as self propelled recycling machines :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland