walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Life in the slow lane, Beinn Achaladair and a'Chreachain

Life in the slow lane, Beinn Achaladair and a'Chreachain

Postby Frigate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 01/04/2013

Time taken: 8.75 hours

Distance: 22.1 km

Ascent: 1385m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Life in the slow lane - first on the hill and the last off it (had to sweep up and put the lights out).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Arrived at an empty car park and off onto the hill at 08.25 just as the rush hour arrived, spent the next few hours being passed by them all, not that I could have gone any faster.

IMG_0035.JPG
Beinn an Dothaidh

IMG_0038.JPG
Rannoch wall

IMG_0036.JPG
Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh

IMG_0037.JPG
Stob a'Choire Odhair

Decided to follow the Gorton bothy track as far as the footbridge as per the WH route. Some local signs were indicating to stay south of the river and walk through the woods parallel to the railway line.

IMG_0039.JPG
09.00 to somewhere

When I arrived at the footbridge it was destroyed, looked like an iceberg or tidal wave had come down the Water of Tulla and hit it. 20 mtrs up-stream a safe crossing point was found but difficult to access what the normal water level would be.

The wind was brisk and keen in the glen a foretaste of what was to come on the ridge. Made good time up to Coire an Lochain and went all the way into see the frozen loch, the turned left to climb to the ridge between the 981 top and a'Chreachain.

IMG_0044.JPG
Coire an Lochain

IMG_0045.JPG
Beinn Achaladair

IMG_0048.JPG
Clach Leathad and Meall a'Bhuiridh

IMG_0049.JPG
Stob a'Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar

The wind was blowing in a circular direction in the coire and lots of powder snow had accumulated on the route up until where exposed to the high winds and had hardened into 300-500 mm waves.

IMG_0051.JPG
Coire an Lochain headwall

IMG_0053.JPG
Frozen Lochain

IMG_0054.JPG
Meall Beag

IMG_0055.JPG
Beinn a'Chreachain

IMG_0052.JPG
Mamores, Grey Corries et al

IMG_0056.JPG
Over Meall Buidhe to Achaladair

Before I topped out on the ridge the force of the wind made its presence felt and another layer was required (4) and a balaclava and hood even then the lefthand side could feel the chill for most of the round.

IMG_0057.JPG
Ridge up to a'Chreachain

IMG_0062.JPG
a'Chreachain summit cairn

IMG_0058.JPG
Loch Lyon

IMG_0059.JPG
West to Achaladair

IMG_0060.JPG
Clachet traverse Black Mount

IMG_0061.JPG
What's this one again?

Great walk over Meall Buidhe with fantastic views, wave after wave of white topped giants in all directions.
The top of the ridge was ice covered and the wind had sculptured it like somebody had been round with the Artex comb.

IMG_0063.JPG
Back to a'Chreachain

IMG_0064.JPG
Beinn Achurin and Auch Gleann

The climb up Achaladair from Bealach an Aoghlan was a little bit tasty, sheets of smooth ice and even with spikes on I had to cut several steps just to be extra safe when changing direction.

IMG_0065.JPG
Final climb to Achaladair

The great day had to come to an end and I was chased off the hill by the wind all the way down Coire Achaladair
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: Life in the slow lane, Beinn Achaladair and a'Chreachain

Postby Huck Finn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Looks like you had a good day, the photos never give a true idea of cold and wind though :roll:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 am

Does look cold but that aside, on a day like this who wants to hurry anyway :wink: Brings back special memories of an unforgettable day in these hills - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pigeon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Well done kev,steaming on past the one hundred mark already
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Frigate » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Huck Finn wrote:Looks like you had a good day, the photos never give a true idea of cold and wind though :roll:

Aye, missed you Charlie, had to talk to myself all the way round.

rockhopper wrote:Does look cold but that aside, on a day like this who wants to hurry anyway :wink: Brings back special memories of an unforgettable day in these hills - cheers :)

Thanks RH, don't think it was as cold as your trip in spite of the wind, I could only dream of doing something that big these days

pigeon wrote:Well done kev,steaming on past the one hundred mark already

Praise indeed from one whose just steamed past the 200 (the woods weren't scary at all).
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Looks pristine! Nice. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Some very nice photos Frigate. When I'm out I often find myself being the one passed by everyone else :lol:

It's been a while since I was on any of these hills and they sure do look tempting.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby KeithS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi,

I did that circuit the other way round that day, I must have passed you at some stage.

It certainly was a windy day. I struggled up Beinn a'Chreachain into a terrible headwind and then on the ridge down my favourite hat (red with ear flaps in case anyone finds it) was blown off my head and was last seen heading upwards and westwards over the cliffs in the direction of Glencoe.

I must have been even slower than you as mine was the only car at the car park when I got back and the lights were not too far off turning themselves off.

It was a very good day, in great winter conditions, despite losing my hat and my crampons breaking as I left it too late to take them off :(

Hope you enjoyed your day as much as I did mine
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Frigate » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Graeme D wrote:Looks pristine! Nice. :D

Thanks Graeme, The wind quickly filled in the boot prints of the quicker walkers making like I was the first not last up there.

PeteR wrote:Some very nice photos Frigate. When I'm out I often find myself being the one passed by everyone else :lol:

It's been a while since I was on any of these hills and they sure do look tempting.

Cheers Pete, gradually getting to grips with the new camera.

KeithS wrote:Hi,

I did that circuit the other way round that day, I must have passed you at some stage.

It certainly was a windy day. I struggled up Beinn a'Chreachain into a terrible headwind and then on the ridge down my favourite hat (red with ear flaps in case anyone finds it) was blown off my head and was last seen heading upwards and westwards over the cliffs in the direction of Glencoe.

I must have been even slower than you as mine was the only car at the car park when I got back and the lights were not too far off turning themselves off.

It was a very good day, in great winter conditions, despite losing my hat and my crampons breaking as I left it too late to take them off :(

Hope you enjoyed your day as much as I did mine

Hi KeithS, yes a very enjoyable day inspite of the wind, now worried as often you can glimpse movement that is not there when out walking but to miss someone passing you??? Its not a very wide ridge either, mind you I did hide behind a rock for a tea break so could have been then.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby Rudolph » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

That's a great report. Thank you
Frigate wrote:The climb up Achaladair from Bealach an Aoghlan was a little bit tasty, sheets of smooth ice and even with spikes on I had to cut several steps just to be extra safe when changing direction.

That's what I remember - we'd done that climb just a few days before on Good Friday. It looked really easy on the map and from above. Cold Wet and Hungry had spikes on and found that climb pretty tricky too when we were going back. She found the descent tricky too until we slid down practising self arrest. On the other hand we were passed by runners using spikes only.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland