walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New spikes and Camerageddon

New spikes and Camerageddon

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Wansfell

Date walked: 29/03/2013

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 350m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following the huge snow fall the previous Friday it was with some trepidation that we ventured over to the Lake District for the Easter weekend. The initial plan for the Thursday when we arrived was to wander up Wansfell from Ambleside but a quick look at just how much snow was up there we decided to go shopping instead and bought some micro-spikes. We’ve been thinking about purchasing some of these for a while and with four days to fill walking in the Lakes with much snow and ice even on low fells we finally took the plunge.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We returned to climb Wansfell the next day but this time from the delightful village of Troutbeck to the East. An initial look at the fell from this side made it look as if there wasn’t much snow. The fact was it was all hiding in Nanny Lane, our ascent route.

The Mortal Man by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Ill Bell ridge from Nanny Lane by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

After about 100 yards up the lane we encountered a covering of bone hard ice so it was spikes on. I have to say that from the very start these fantastic bits of kit were superb. 8) On ice that would be just about impossible to traverse could be walked upon as if it was normal dry ground. Better was to follow as the drifting snow had filled the lane up to the brim necessitating walking on top of the fairly solid drifts with the occasional plunge through the top.

Over the Fence by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Ill Bell Ridge again by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Getting Stuck in! by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Soon enough Nanny Lane and its drifts were left behind as we struck out up the path to Wansfell. There was still enough ice and snow to keep our new acquisitions on our feet but we did have to avoid rocks and stones on occasion.

It was on Wansfell Pike (a fine viewpoint indeed) that my camera told me it required a new battery. A sense of dread overcame me as I realised not only had I failed to charge my spare but left the charger at home. To make matters worse Grace’s camera was also on red and the charger for that was sitting somewhere in our front room. :(

Wansfell Pike Views by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Kirkstone Pass by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We set off along the fantastically built dry stone wall towards the true summit of Wansfell. I managed a few more snaps before the last few electrons drained from my battery and left me feeling somewhat gloomy. The spikes were proving there worth time and time again on the undulating ridge and we made good pace helped by the need to get out of a very cold wind that was blasting in from the East. We reached the cairn at the Northern end of the ridge which I assume was what AW felt was the summit. Subsequent maps suggest the point across the dip where the wall lies is the true top so we visited that as well.

Wansfell Wall by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Natures Sculpture by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking back along the Ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr (taken with camera phone)

Just what is that dog doing? by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr (taken with camera phone)

Grace on Baystones Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr (taken with Samsung point and shoot)

And a third view of the Ill Bell ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr (taken with camera phone0

We found a sheltered spot for lunch and had a go at making snow angels in a drift before making our way down, following the wall and many more impressive drifts back to Nanny Lane.
We capped off the day by enjoying a cup of tea and a selection from the pudding menu and the Mortal Man inn.
:D
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: New spikes and Camerageddon

Postby Ibex » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Very nice photo's of the snow drifts. I am impressed with the snow in Nanny Lane. Very deep! Can't help but think of sledging down that. Probably would be very fast and very trecherous though.

Nice to see you out in the hills with your daughter again. No dog this time?
I like the idea of tea and a bit of pudding in the pub afterwards. Great idea! :D
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm

It was a full family outing, just my better half and dog are a bit camera shy. The sledging might have some merit but it could be painful if you shot over the wall into the field :lol:

p.s. I've since found a pic and put it on the report, I'll probably get wrong now!
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Looks like you had a far better day! Glad the camera held out long enough for you to get some more great shots. Over the Fence, Wansfell Wall and Nature's Sculptures are all first class.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 pm

clivegrif wrote:Looks like you had a far better day! Glad the camera held out long enough for you to get some more great shots. Over the Fence, Wansfell Wall and Nature's Sculptures are all first class.

Cheers Clive :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:A sense of dread overcame me as I realised not only had I failed to charge my spare but left the charger at home.
What????? How could you manage to do that :shock:
Some great photos, nevertheless, by whatever device :lol: A lovely walk despite all that snow and ice.
We were staying at Hawkshead Hill over Easter :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby tenohfive » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:48 am

Cold weather sucks the life out of batteries for some reason. I used use 7dayshops in my camera (400D also) and always carry 3 in my camera bag just in case - I bought them ages ago but I seem to remember they only cost about £4 a pop. Out of interest (and on a tangent) how do you find the 17-70mm? Seems like a decent focal range but I'd heard they can be a bit soft?

Sounds like a decent day out though in any case and some lovely shots.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:52 am

Great report as always JK, that cold weather sure does eat the batteries :roll: but you got some fantastic shots before the premature demise of the batts. :clap:

Since coming out to Canada I always take additional batteries and keep them in a crotch pocket for warmth, as mine dies I swap it out with the warm one, when it dies I usually swap back again as once warmed the original is back to almost full charge, I do this several times during a winter hike....works a treat.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:23 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:A sense of dread overcame me as I realised not only had I failed to charge my spare but left the charger at home.
What????? How could you manage to do that :shock:
Some great photos, nevertheless, by whatever device :lol: A lovely walk despite all that snow and ice.
We were staying at Hawkshead Hill over Easter :D

I've no idea Susie, I believe it was loads of work nonsense filling my head combined with worries about just what the roads would be like and just what fells would be possible. Anyhow carrying just a little compact for the remainder of the walks was certainly a lot lighter :D

tenohfive wrote:Cold weather sucks the life out of batteries for some reason. I used use 7dayshops in my camera (400D also) and always carry 3 in my camera bag just in case - I bought them ages ago but I seem to remember they only cost about £4 a pop. Out of interest (and on a tangent) how do you find the 17-70mm? Seems like a decent focal range but I'd heard they can be a bit soft?

Sounds like a decent day out though in any case and some lovely shots.

I have two batteries at the moment and normally religiously charge one up once it goes flat so I've always got a full one in the bag. Just a complete brain fade to forget this and the charger. God knows how bad my memory will be once I get old(er).
As for the 17-70 it's a great lens but it does have some quirks. At larger apertures it is soft around the edges but given it has image stabilisation it means in normal light I can shoot down to f16 where you get really sharp pics as the first few images show. I couldn't quite stretch to the 15-85 canon and the 17-85 has some reliability issues so it seemed the natural choice.

ChrisW wrote:Great report as always JK, that cold weather sure does eat the batteries :roll: but you got some fantastic shots before the premature demise of the batts. :clap:

Since coming out to Canada I always take additional batteries and keep them in a crotch pocket for warmth, as mine dies I swap it out with the warm one, when it dies I usually swap back again as once warmed the original is back to almost full charge, I do this several times during a winter hike....works a treat.

Cheers Chris, I did try the warming trick and squeezed a few more shots out of them but flat is flat, not sure the cold had a great deal to do with it unfortunately.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Some good photos there JK, at least the battery lasted long enough to take some pictures. Its amazing some of the tips you get on this site, and I will ensure that my spare batteries are kept warm too in future.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 am

L-Hiking wrote:Some good photos there JK, at least the battery lasted long enough to take some pictures. Its amazing some of the tips you get on this site, and I will ensure that my spare batteries are kept warm too in future.

Cheers LH.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby richardkchapman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 am

Great pictures. I share your pain with cameras, batteries, and forgetfulness. Even though I remembered the charger, and even have a spare battery with me, I still forgot to actually change the battery for the freshly charged one before two of my walks this week :(
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:213   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:13 am

richardkchapman wrote:Great pictures. I share your pain with cameras, batteries, and forgetfulness. Even though I remembered the charger, and even have a spare battery with me, I still forgot to actually change the battery for the freshly charged one before two of my walks this week :(

We are forgetful because our minds are full of important matters such as which fells to climb and by which routes, oh and work :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland