walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corrour 3

Corrour 3

Postby gman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:52 am

Route description: Sgòr Gaibhre and Càrn Dearg from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Sgòr Gaibhre

Date walked: 03/04/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1340m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

corrour 3 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Got the train from Crianlarich & arrived at Corrour at 9am, travelling in by rail is definitely more relaxing than by car :D Corrour station:

Met a couple of guys who were doing the 3, walked down to the loch then they went clockwise & I went the opposite way - planned to meet at the Tetra Pak lodge at the other end of Loch Ossian.

I missed the start of the path up Carn Dearg & stayed on the lochside track a bit too long. Back on the right track:

View back down to the loch with Nevis & the Mamores in the distance:

Across to Creag Meagaidh:

Getting towards the top of Carn Dearg, should have brought the Ambre Solaire as I got sunburn 8)

Over to Munro No. 2, Sgor Gaibhre:

Didn't take long to get to the cairn, starting the walk at 400m helps:

Grey corries, Aonachs & Nevis on the right, then Mamores then Glen Coe hills on the left:

Next hill - Sgor Gaibhre, then descend to the left:

Nevis:

Sgor Gaibhre cairn, pointy hill on the right must be Schiehallion :D

Lawers range:

Nevis & Mamores:

Descent from Sgor Gaibhre, think I was lower than the path:

Looking back to Sgor Gaibhre, descent was a bit steep & snow was icy so I stuck the crampons on after falling over a couple of times :lol:

Followed footprints down, I headed for the right of the trees at the north east end of the loch:

Down on the right of the trees, crossed the bridge & headed towards the granite lodge:

Bridge:

Lodge, a snip at £30k per week:

Then followed track down north side of loch:

Just after a cattle grid there's a path up the right hand side of a burn:

About halfway up there's a bridge & the path crosses to the left, the way was blocked by fallen trees though so I stayed on the right. View up from bridge:

Emerged from trees & here's the last Munro of the day, Beinn na Lap:

Bit boggy just after the trees & steep ascent. Legs feeling it after the easy descent from Sgor Gaibhre then walk around the loch.

Over the loch to the other 2 hills:

Ben Alder:

Cairn, looking over to pointy Schiehallion:

Grey Corries & Nevis:

Mamores:

Descent, Glen Coe hills in distance:

Back to south west end of loch:

Got down a bit earlier than expected so had a couple of hours to spare before the train, had a look at youth hostel:

Then wandered back to the station:

Hotel welcomes walkers if you remove anything muddy. Cold drinks & comfy seats :D Other 2 guys appeared, must have missed them at the lodge. They were talking about taking bikes on the train to Corrour then cycling to Ben Alder from this side instead of Dalwhinnie which sounds like a plan.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Corrour 3

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Beautiful photos - thanks for the route - these hill are on my possible list for this year so this is really helpful :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby ballarat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm

great report and pics,even if they make me home sick :(
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby mr_ash_37 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Cracking pics and report, well done
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland