walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scraggles Notches up his 100th Munro in Strathcarron

Scraggles Notches up his 100th Munro in Strathcarron

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh, Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 06/04/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 31.7 km

Ascent: 2000m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So today was 99% about Scraggles and his 100th Munro; and 1% about me and my final solitary munro in Strathcarron... I'd done a 40km hoof in October the year before over Lurg Mhor, Bidean a'Choire Sheasgaich, Sgur Choinnich, and Sgurr a'Charoachain, but on the summit of Sgurr a'Chaorachain with only a couple of hours daylight left I'd decided not to add in Maoile Lunndaidh... And so I was back...

It's another decent drive.. 190 miles from my home in Bridge of Allan to the start at Craig in Glen Carron... Scraggles has been out for a few beers the night before and is in one hell of a state when I pick him up at 04:45; but he's walked on a hangover before... We're soon underway and walking before 08:00

After we cross the railway line at the start there's one of the white Strathcarron Ponies... The horse gets some breakfast; and I contemplate looking for another one for the trek in haha

Strathcarron 001.jpg
The Strathcarron Pony gets breakfast from Scraggles...

After about 3km of gentle ascent through the forest on a good track that could be cycled if you're inclined you'll emerge into the open wilderness with views towards Creag an Ardaich; and later as you walk along the River toward Pollan Buidhe the first targets of the day in Sgurr Choinnich and Sgur a'Chaorachain...

Strathcarron 002.jpg
The Walk In...

We leave the track at Pollan Buidhe and take to the hillside for the ascent to Bealach Bhearnais... I've long since decided we're doing all three munros to help Scraggles tally... And it's not right that his 100th Munro should be the least reported Munro on Walk Highlands; the lump that is Maile Lunndaidh... So Sgurr Choinnich it will be; a fine hill... :D

The path is good and we're mostly below the snow line until the Bealach...

Strathcarron 003.jpg
Ascending to Bealach Bhearnais...

I point out Beinn Tarsuinn to Scraggles before we turn round and start the ascent of Sgurr Choinnich... It's a good climb but the legs are strong this early in the day... The sun has come out to play, so it's looking like another belter of a day in the wilderness :)

Strathcarron 004.jpg
Beinn Tarsuinn seen from Bealach Bhearnais...

The views are stunning in all directions...

Strathcarron 005.jpg
Panorama including Lurg Mhor, Bidean a'Choire Sheasgaich and Beinn Tarsuinn...

And we can see Torridon...

Strathcarron 006.jpg
Torridon...

As we gain height the views become better and better; and I'm able to point out the monster route I took on my big walk in October... All the way over there I point, and back haha...

Strathcarron 007.jpg
Panorama from Lurg Mhor to Torridon...

Strathcarron 008.jpg
Lurg Mhor and Bidean a'Choire Sheasgaich...

Days like today in the hills are just magic... There's not a breath of wind and it's warm in the sun... You could stand around and admire scenery like this for as long as you want to... It's breathtaking... I'm still convinced no other country has anything to beat Scotland...

Strathcarron 009.jpg
Me with Lurg Mhor and Bidean a'Choire Sheasgainch behind...

We near the top of Sgurr Choinnich and we're in good spirits; how could you not be on a day like this... Scraggles has walked off his hangover, and contemplates his impending century...

Strathcarron 010.jpg
Scraggles on his Century Climb with Torridon as the Backdrop...

Just a short ridge to go...

Strathcarron 011.jpg
The final stretch of ridge to the summit of Sgurr Choinnich...

And that's the century up for Scraggles... Well done pal; congratulations...!!! I've walked all but about three of Scraggles' Munros and it's good to see the old boy reach this milestone...

Strathcarron 012.jpg
Scraggles notches up his 100th Munro on Sgurr Choinnich...

And on such a stunning day...

Strathcarron 013.jpg
Looking towards Torridon from Sgurr Choinnich

Time to get back on it... The hair of the dog if you like as Scraggles pours the Red Wine to celebrate... A nice touch; we've not got cheese and biscuits, so cheddars will have to suffice...

Strathcarron 014.jpg
Scraggles celebrates his 100th Munro on Sgurr Choinnich...

Then it's off... A straightforward descent takes us to the bealach that separates Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a'Chaorachain...

Strathcarron 015.jpg
Looking towards Lurg Mhor from the Bealach between Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a'Chaorachain

Scraggles starts the short and steep climb to the summit as I take some photos..

Strathcarron 016.jpg
Scraggles on the ascent of Sgurr a'Chaorachain...

And on th ascent the views remain stunning...

Strathcarron 017.jpg
Looking back to Sgurr Choinnich...

And get better and better as we regain the height we've lost...

Strathcarron 018.jpg
View back to Sgurr Choinnich on the ascent of Sgurr a'Charoachain...

In no time at all we're at the summit and Scraggles moves on to 101... I'm catching ye up he says to me haha...

Strathcarron 019.jpg
View from the Summit of Sgurr a'Chaorachain...

It's crampons on for the first time on the descent; the northern slopes being firmer without the sun... You lose a fair bit of height and Satmap says we're down to 580 metres at the low point... All the views are behind us...

Strathcarron 020.jpg
View from Drochaid Mhuilich before the ascent of Maoile Lunndaidh...

The ascent to Carn nam Fiaclan is pretty punishing and I'm thinking I'm glad I didn't add this on in October; this would have hurt a lot... As it is it just hurts a little...

The pain is eased about 2/3 the way up when I point out a Golden Eagle to Scraggles soaring in the sky above... Instantly recognisable by sheer size if nothing else; such a graceful bird, and my third time ever seeing one in the wild... And Scraggles' first...

Strathcarron 021.jpg
Nearing the summit of Maoile Lunndaidh...

From Carn nam Fiaclan it's a short and pleasant stroll of just over a kilometre to Maoile Lunndaidh... And finally I get my point... I've worked hard for this summit today... Haha

So that's 279 for me; 25 Munros this year... And just one trip to the Last Great Wilderness of Knoydart and that will be my journey across Scotland's Munros compleat...

We mess around a bit with the panoramic and I send a shot to Monty... When I stop in the hills, you might catch a glimpse of me I jest... Haha...

Strathcarron 022.jpg
When I stop in the hills I can be seen...

The descent to Gleann Fhiodhaig is straightforward... And before long we're in the Glen surrounded by hills and deer... It's beautiful still... I take one last shot of the hills and we trundle the 10km back to the car along the track...

An awesome day in the hills and congratulations to Scraggles!! :clap:

Strathcarron 023.jpg
View looking back up from the Glen...

The Stats... A whisper shy of 32km in 8 hours...

2013 - 04 - 06 - Strathcarron.jpg
The Stats...

And the route...

2013 - 04 - 06 - Strathcarron.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Scraggles Notches up his 100th Munro in Strathcarron

Postby craigee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Aye Cheers Partner - Another epic day - but I think I owe it to the wee 2-hour nap I had en-route in the front of the Black Mamba! Just the one walk left now, until you truly become Sir Doggett of The Munro's. There will be a tad more than 18.75cl bottle of Merlot on the go... Thanks for the 96 that preceded!
Really looking forward to the main-event.
Slanj
Scraggles
P.S - The horse loves the odd Porky Pie !
craigee
Mountain Walker

Munros:211   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Congratulations to Scraggles :clap: Great way to get rid of a hangover :lol:
Another great day, Andrew, and some fantastic photos :thumbup: Amazing views :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby NevJB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Aiming to do this next week so your report could not be more timely - great account and pictures.

Not being quite as spritely, or fleet of foot, we're camping at Bealach Bhearnais - or at least hoping to - as we also want to do Beinn Tharsuinn, Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor and the walk in-walk out distances would be too much.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 pm

That was excellent what a fantastic day and well done Scraggles on the hundred.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland