walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The challenge of Cairnie Hill!

The challenge of Cairnie Hill!

Postby Jaywizz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairnie Hill

Date walked: 07/04/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Who would have thought this small hill would present so many challenges! I had hoped to do it a few days ago after Norman's Law and Hunt Hill - but with railway and phone mast engineers parked on the B937 there was nowhere to park! I looked at parking in Monimail but the hall carpark looked 'private'. So, as today (Sunday) was cold and wet with the threat of snow, I had a prompt start to park the car beside the phone mast (just off the road!) on the B937. I walked back to the track on the other side of the road, then up the track, leaving it to head east along the forest edge, then through the trees to reach a gap in the plantations just west of the summit. The summit itself is 'protected' by most unfriendly gorse, so I tracked a little lower round the hill, past magnificent beech trees before finally gaining the summit.

There were some snow flurries on the descent, again through plantations, skirting pheasant pens. Two Roe deer were disturbed at the edge of a field - and ample evidence of a large roe deer population. I have never before seen so much damage/barking on young trees as I saw today.

Interesting short walk, just nice to add it to my collection of Sub 2000's.
Attachments
Cairnie Hill summit.jpg
No great views - but still a summit
Last edited by Jaywizz on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: The challenge of Cairnie Hill!

Postby hills » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:29 pm

It is a nice hill, nice views, and I mind getting ripped to bits by the gorse.... :?
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland