walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bum slides and a tight squeeze

Bum slides and a tight squeeze

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Lingmoor Fell

Date walked: 31/03/2013

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 335m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done two walks around Troutbeck we decided to head west for some slightly different views. Lingmoor Fell looked like a fine target given its modest height and relative isolation making it a good fell to bag on its own. I was somewhat worried that the road would be closed to the Blea Tarn car park and I took a chance by ignoring the ROAD CLOSED sign. Turns out the road was blocked but was snow free until it passed through the col between Side Pike and Pike O’ Blisco

With the clocks going forward and a slow start anyway we didn't park up till after midday and were delayed further by another camera issue :roll: , as the little Samsung compact was dead. Ten minutes charging using my car charger for my phone gave it enough life to get through the walk. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was very cold around Blea Tarn probably because it is so sheltered it traps the air and the feeling of serenity was increased further by a thin film of ice on the water. The cold had kept the snows from melting and as soon as we set off up the path (not that we could see it under the snow) it was spikes on. It may only be a short pull up to the summit from here but given the steepness and depth of snow it was quite hard work.

Even at this low level a small cornice had formed on the edge of the gill next to the path. We stayed well back but some numpty had been walking as close to the edge as possible :roll: . If it had given way serious injury could certainly have been suffered.

Blea Tarn from the ascent by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Coniston Fells by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The route eventually turns summitwards once the top of the gill is reached. The drift at the top of the steep ravine looked very deep indeed. Fortunately no numptys had been testing it out.

The final pull up to the summit of Lingmoor Fell, known as Brown Howe, was rewarded with stunning views, best of which were to the west with a wonderful panorama stretching from Weatherlam to the Langdales proving quite captivating.

Hughie on the fence by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

View from the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace on Brown Howe by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It was quite blowy and cold on top so we continued along the icy path till we found some shelter to enjoy lunch. Lingmoor Fell was quite busy today but many walkers were having troubles with the slippyness of the path. Few problems for us however and we made fine progress until we got delayed by a chap who was struggling badly with a steep section of path that resembled the cresta run. Aware he was holding us up he shuffled to one side onto the snow to let us past. I confidently made my way ahead before even the spikes gave up and I performed a perfect painless bum slide for about six feet. Grace followed but slipped far earlier and shot down the path with a huge grin on her face gently arriving at my feet around 20 feet later :clap: . My better half chickened out however and went onto the snow.

Looking along the ridge to the Langdales by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Views from the path by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Lingmoor Tarn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We followed the path down to the col with Side Pike and decided to have a look at the squeeze. Fortunately the path on this section was completely snow and ice free so we continued on through the remarkable narrow gap , (regretting the sticky toffee pudding) and along the relatively exposed ledge around the flank of Side Pike. We visited the Birkett top before floundering our way down through more drifts back to the road and the lovely path around the tarn.

Lingmoor Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace getting through the squeeze by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Langdales from Side Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Blea Tarn from Side Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Classic view of the Langdales by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

This is a beautiful little walk that I would highly recommend, great way to spend a morning/afternoon whatever time of year.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Bum slides and a tight squeeze

Postby tenohfive » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Lingmoor Fell is one of my favourites - the panorama that greets you over the last few feet as your head pokes above the summit is fantastic. Looks great in those shots too.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Great walk and some fantastic photos :thumbup: Good job you had at least one camera to use :lol:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:I was somewhat worried that the road would be closed to the Blea Tarn car park and I took a chance by ignoring the ROAD CLOSED sign.

We turned round on the Saturday :( but Blea Tarn is one of my favourite places for photos. We then drove along to the end of Great Langdale and had to negotiate compacted snow and ice that was about a foot deep in places :shock: It was then we decided not to go any further :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Ibex » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Your reports, always make me smile. Reminds me of when I was young and I went to the Lakes with my Dad to walk. Sadly not anywhere near as consistently as you and your family.
Those walks as a child were always fantastic and I loved any minute of it. Being in the hills felt natural and I used to almost bounce up them. My Dad used to call me, the little mountain goat.

Its nice to see your daughter out there, with her family enjoying the hills. Warms the cockles of my cynical heart, so to speak.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 am

tenohfive wrote:Lingmoor Fell is one of my favourites - the panorama that greets you over the last few feet as your head pokes above the summit is fantastic. Looks great in those shots too.

Thank you

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great walk and some fantastic photos :thumbup: Good job you had at least one camera to use :lol:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:I was somewhat worried that the road would be closed to the Blea Tarn car park and I took a chance by ignoring the ROAD CLOSED sign.

We turned round on the Saturday :( but Blea Tarn is one of my favourite places for photos. We then drove along to the end of Great Langdale and had to negotiate compacted snow and ice that was about a foot deep in places :shock: It was then we decided not to go any further :lol:

Cheers Susie, fortunately we approached Blea Tarn from Little Langdale and the road was fine up to the car park :D

Ibex wrote:Your reports, always make me smile. Reminds me of when I was young and I went to the Lakes with my Dad to walk. Sadly not anywhere near as consistently as you and your family.
Those walks as a child were always fantastic and I loved any minute of it. Being in the hills felt natural and I used to almost bounce up them. My Dad used to call me, the little mountain goat.

Its nice to see your daughter out there, with her family enjoying the hills. Warms the cockles of my cynical heart, so to speak.

Thanks Ibex, the thought of completing with my wife and daughter in the next few years is just about my biggest ambition at the moment. I feel it will be somewhat emotional once we reach the summit of Great End in a few years time.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 pm

I'm sure that will be a great day for you! :D
A nice achievement to have done much of it with your family and inspired another generation of walker.

By that time Grace and Hughie will have clocked up a fair few Wainwrights as well. :clap:

I don't think i'll ever be attempting that squeeze though. Don't think MRT carry the jaws of life. :lol:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Ibex wrote:I'm sure that will be a great day for you! :D
A nice achievement to have done much of it with your family and inspired another generation of walker.

By that time Grace and Hughie will have clocked up a fair few Wainwrights as well. :clap:

I don't think i'll ever be attempting that squeeze though. Don't think MRT carry the jaws of life. :lol:

We have done every Wainwright together as a family so we'll all complete at the same time hopefully. Hughie will need to catch up on a few but I'm considering bagging those with him before then.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Yet another great report with a lovely set of pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Good to see Hughie in good form!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 pm

clivegrif wrote:Yet another great report with a lovely set of pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Good to see Hughie in good form!

Cheers Clive :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Westies do love the snow! A great report from a fine little fell, JK. Side Pike is certainly worth including in the Lingmoor agenda.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 pm

A genuine little gem here JK, there looks to be a good depth of snow in some places :shock: lovely shots throughout as always :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 am

simon-b wrote:Westies do love the snow! A great report from a fine little fell, JK. Side Pike is certainly worth including in the Lingmoor agenda.

Hughie is quite obsessed with snow, he normally writhes around in ecstasy when he first finds a good patch. Side Pike does make the walk into a nice little round.

ChrisW wrote:A genuine little gem here JK, there looks to be a good depth of snow in some places :shock: lovely shots throughout as always :clap:

Thanks Chris. Considering it's only 450 meters high or so the amount of snow was amazing over a week since any fell. Can't imagine what it was like the previous weekend.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland