walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and Stob Coire Easin

Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and Stob Coire Easin

Postby hendo1967 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 07/04/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first report, so please forgive any mistakes with the order of pics (first time I tried this I kept on getting an error message - never a good omen)!

For once I was glad that MWIS got the forecast wrong and it's not often I would say that. I was looking for a munro to do as my 100th and also accessible for Ana (my wife) and I to do together as she is not keen on doing anything too adventurous in the Winter. I chose these as they are within reasonable driving distance (4hrs from sunny Irvine :lol: ) and close to an area with some shops in case things didn't go to plan (Fort William).

We left Irvine at 4.30am (after a restless night of about two hours sleep) and arrived early at the car park near Fersit at 8ish. As I said the MWIS forecast was for 20% cloud free but the weather was gorgeous and the sun was shining so I was looking forward to a good day.

We followed the WH route over Creag Fhinaclach, Meall Cian Dearg and then on to the summits and, apart from some minor scrambling on Meall Cian Dearg it was pretty straightforward. We took our time and stopped when we feltthe need but made reasonable time to the first (and 100th :D ) summit in good time, had a quick bite to eat and took the obligatory photos and trundled on to Stob Coire Easin. This was a quick ascent and then we made our way off the munroes via Coire Lair which was steep but with some exciting glissading using ice axes as brakes we made good time and descended to around the 700m mark pretty quickly and then contoured the hills to make our way back to the original path below Meall Cian Dearg and back to the car, again followed by the sun. All in all a great and memorable day for numbers 100 and 101. The fact that we had booked into a B&B in Spean Bridge also meant that I didn't have to face the 4 hour journey home on the same day too - result!
Attachments
DSCF1803.JPG
Sheldon (the car) in the parking area
DSCF1805.JPG
Path across from the parking area
DSCF1811.JPG
DSCF1816.JPG
Meall Cian Dearg
DSCF1826.JPG
Love this shot of the cornicing
DSCF1828.JPG
Ingenious use of Ana's hair bobbles (her idea)
DSCF1830.JPG
Panoramic shot 1
DSCF1831.JPG
Panoramic shot 2
DSCF1833.JPG
Ana at the cairn on Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin
DSCF1835.JPG
At the summit of Stob Coire Easin
hendo1967
Mountain Walker

Munros:154   Corbetts:6
Donalds:2

Re: Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and Stob Coire Easin

Postby Tomsie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:58 am

Well done on the ton :clap:
Cant remeber how long it took me, but longer then ye :lol: :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Meatball » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Well done.
Better than my visit....you lucky person!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby hendo1967 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Cheers Tomsie. I read your report about your visit. It could easily have been any of us in that position, we've been there ourselves. We were lucky with the conditions, but you need to take the good with the bad I suppose :)
hendo1967
Mountain Walker

Munros:154   Corbetts:6
Donalds:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland