walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long, long trip to Slioch

A long, long trip to Slioch

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 05/04/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1144m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since putting my name down for the WH meet, I'd been a mixture of excitement and apprehension (mainly due to reading stories of previous whisky consumption :lol: ).

Having spent Thursday preparing for the journey to Torridon by picking up a bargain £20 three day hire of Scarpa Mantas, Ice Axe and Crampons from TISO, and a vehicular near-disaster. I was finally ready. Friday morning duly arrived and I awoke at 4:15am to get some breakfast, and make the strongest cup of coffee I've ever had. It kind of helped. I took advantage of the quiet roads to hit Perth quickly, then onto the A9, about 95% awake. I was soon 100% awake when setting off a speed camera outside Perth :?

Anyway, 3.5 hours and 190 miles later I duly arrived at Insherin, followed shortly by Peter Tindal (who i later discovered lives a literal stone's throw from my flat in Forfar :lol: ) then Evie and Euan, and Kevsbald. After introductions and sorting ourselves out, we set off on a cracking, clear spring morning.

DSC_0007.jpg
The walk in, towards Loch Maree

DSC_0005.jpg
It's somewhere up there!

This extremely pleasant walk continues for a couple of miles, crosses a footbridge, then branches off uphill. We stopped off briefly at a waterfall for some photos.

DSC_0015.jpg

It was now time to get moving uphill. The next section was quite hard going, especially in the sun, and I was glad of a few stops to take a drink, catch my breath, and take some photos of the stunning surroundings.

DSC_0022.jpg
Back towards Loch Maree. Meall a'Ghublais dominating the skyline.

As we gained height, the views really opened up

DSC_0027.jpg

Finally the steepish bit was over. We now had a relatively flat trudge through Coire na Sleaghaich, then exited via the left Corrie wall.

DSC_0032.jpg
Coire na Sleaghaich.

The views at the top of this were truly magnificent. It was like walking into a calendar. I could have taken a thousand photos and still not do this justice.

DSC_0040.jpg
A stunning array of Torridon's peaks

DSC_0041.jpg

After half an hour here, drinking in the views, a spot of lunch (I was literally heartbroken to discover i'd left chocolate in the car), we headed off for the short climb to the twin lochans. For some inexplicably stupid reason I didn't take any pictures of this section. However, they were completely frozen over. There is a steep but relatively brief climb after the lochans, and the summit is ever closer. The trig point is not the actual summit. That's another short walk on and is 1 metre higher :lol:

DSC_0056.jpg
Trig Point

We also surveyed a possible descent via the North Ridge and Sgurr an Thuill Bhain.

DSC_0049.jpg
North Ridge and Sgurr an Thuill Bhain (top)

A short few minutes later, we reached the snowy summit area and cairn. The views were nothing short of incredible, across to Beinn Alligin and the other Torridon peaks, with the views to Loch Maree and sea beyond, and also the stunning Fisherfield area. I could have happily stayed there for hours.

DSC_0054.jpg
Loch Maree and it's Islands

DSC_0048.jpg
Beinn Alligin (zoomed)

DSC_0068.jpg
Kevsbald returning from a quick jaunt out to a rocky viewpoint

DSC_0073.jpg
Fisherfield

DSC_0074.jpg
An Teallach (i think) (zoomed)

After a good while at the summit, we took the decision to head down view the North ridge and it's top. This was a pleasant walk, with a couple of exposed short, narrow stretches. The views remained ridiculously good.

DSC_0079.jpg
Across Coire na Sleaghaic to Sgurr Dubh and beyond.

DSC_0085.jpg
View back along the ridge towards Slioch's summit

That was the fun part largely over :lol: Poor sock choice was now resulting in sore feet and the decent was a hot, painful and tedious one to finally reach the corrie floor. After this followed another long descent. I took this final shot of the Torridon peaks before packing up the camera.

DSC_0092.jpg

The walk out seemed to take an eternity, and it was with quite some relief that the car park was reached and i could change into fresh socks and trainers. I'm considering selling the other pair used on the hill to North Korea as a biological weapons of some kind.

A short drive to Kinlochewe and I was soon in the hotel, enjoying a wonderful pint of lager and meeting the rest of the Walkhighlands crew. A fine bunch indeed. Big thanks to Kev, Pete, Evie and Euan. A pleasure to walk with.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: A long, long trip to Slioch

Postby kevsbald » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 pm

That pretty much sums up the views.
I had a tonne of chocolate in my backpack - you should have asked!

You should have asked the guy from Dumfries if he had any nuts.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Meatball » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Nice!
Was good to walk with you on Saturday.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Meatball wrote:Nice!
Was good to walk with you on Saturday.

Cheers! And likewise. Saturday was terrific.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby laconic surf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Looks like you had a great day on slioch. The weather was unbelievable, think I took about 70 photos on friday and 5 on saturday :lol:
Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello, I was on the other table that came on Friday evening. My steak and pint(s) of IPA didn't touch the sides :shock: :lol:
Hopefully I'll get a chance to say hi at the summer meet :D
Lucas
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:31 pm

laconic surf wrote:Looks like you had a great day on slioch. The weather was unbelievable, think I took about 70 photos on friday and 5 on saturday :lol:
Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello, I was on the other table that came on Friday evening. My steak and pint(s) of IPA didn't touch the sides :shock: :lol:
Hopefully I'll get a chance to say hi at the summer meet :D
Lucas

Would be fine to catch up in the summer. I think i was visualising a pint for the last 4 hours of the Slioch walk :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Excellent WR young jupe...and stunning pics. :clap:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Scotjamie wrote:Excellent WR young jupe...and stunning pics. :clap:

Much appreciated.

Excellent work on Saturday's quiz incidentally :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby tina bonar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Well done jupe,all that effort to battle your way from the wilds of Forfar to the wilds of Torridon really paid off.Some stunning shots you've captured there.Someone said you had a massive lens and it's been put to good use! Good to meet you John
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 pm

tina bonar wrote:Well done jupe,all that effort to battle your way from the wilds of Forfar to the wilds of Torridon really paid off.Some stunning shots you've captured there.Someone said you had a massive lens and it's been put to good use! Good to meet you John

Likewise mate. TBF Forfar is probably wilder than Torridon :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby NevJB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Wonderful report and pictures - I am envious.

Will be up Glen Carron next week and was wondering whether or not to hire crampons [from Tiso] - your pictures have pretty much answered the question unless there is a sudden change in the weather.

And yes, once you hit the flat by Loch Maree it's still a long way to the car park.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby peter tindal » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey Jupe, I will not be putting my pictures up as they look crap next to yours :lol: Great report and to answer Kevin question "what your best bag" it is now Slioch. The views, the weather and the company made it a wonderful day never to be forgotton. :clap:
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby kevsbald » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Twas a privilege. Hope to see you all at the next meet.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Nice one - shame I couldn't make it up until friday evening, otherwise I'd definitely have joined you on this walk.

Some quality photos there :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby David-Main » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Well done John, were you in the bar Sat night ? I had a few by the time the quiz was finished so not sure who all I spoke to. Slioch looked good for you going by the pics- nice. :clap:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:281   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland