walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Whin Rigg & Illgill Head

Whin Rigg & Illgill Head

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Illgill Head, Whin Rigg

Date walked: 04/03/2013

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 711m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the final report, finally! From the weekend of 2/3/4th March 2013. Wainwright numbers 210 & 211 the ones above Wastwater.
After Sunday’s exertions on Haycock and Seatallan today’s trip was quite short if a little uphilly. Leaving the car at YHA Wastwater I set off down the road towards the western end of the lake and located the signpost attached to a wrought iron kissing gate (didn’t get kissed!) and left turned down the obvious path.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 067.jpg
The obvious path

The weather was great, if a little chilly and the ground nice and dry. The path was well signed and soon increased in upward gradient in true Lakes fashion.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 070.jpg
On way up

Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 072.jpg
Still going up!

Puffing and panting apart, I was rewarded with superb views down the length of Wastwater and eventually made the ridge joining the path from Miterdale in the west, turned left and headed for Whin Rigg
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 073.jpg
The Ridge

Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 074.jpg
Whin Rigg I think!

Whin Rigg was one of those hills with multiple summitty look a likes, so to be on the safe side I visited the lot, finally settling down on the one with the nice view of Buckbarrow and Middle Fell to have a well earned brew and, because I was solo, a caramel wafer! I could wax lyrical about the virtues of a Tunnocks gobful of exquisiteness, but I’ll let the product do the talking :lol: :lol: :clap:
Suitably refreshed and satiated, I set off along the ridge for Illgill Head in the distance, passing a couple and dog coming towards me and commenting on the wind which had got up nicely enough to be cold.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 076.jpg
Illgill Head, Scafells in the background

Illgill Head is not the most striking of hills as can be seen but it gives great views of the Scafells, Great Gable, Yewbarrow etc etc
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 077.jpg
Summit cairn Illgill Head

Illgill Head was not a place to stop for long, mainly because, although the sun was shining, the wind was knife-like in its penetrability factor and to tarry was to freeze!
I reversed my route and headed back towards Whin Rigg
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 078.jpg
The way back

Strange how things /scenery change in the space of a few hundred yards when going the other way, the drop from Whin Rigg felt considerably worse going up than it did going down! :?
I met two other couples on my way back to the right turn down off the ridge, both of whom, were enjoying the weather and rightly so.
A ninety degree right and the downhill bit got progressively steeper, I’m sure it wasn’t this steep on the way up, but the moment was broken by the arrival of two helicopters.
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 080.jpg
View going down

Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 081.jpg
Spot the Chopper!

I watched, photographed and listened as they made their way up towards Wasdale Head and disturbed the peace by circling the valley, clearly checking out their walking route for next weekend, before disappearing noisily back towards the coast. Only wished I’d been up there with them the views must have been great!
I stopped one last time to admire the view of my trip the day before
Wastwater - 2nd March 2013 084.jpg
Yesterdays Hills

Before making my way back to YHA Wastwater (Nice place to stay!), the car and a three hour drive home, via Tesco to buy ‘dearly beloved’ flowers and chocs, it was her weekend off and I’d been missing!! Sometimes you have to suffer for your passion, it lasted about three days!!!!
Only three left now! :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Whin Rigg & Illgill Head

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:27 pm

DaveB1 wrote:This is the final report, finally! From the weekend of 2/3/4th March 2013

Hurrah!! Only a few weeks late and I'm surprised you could remember so much detail, Dave :lol: :lol:
Good to see you had such fantastic views :D
DaveB1 wrote:I could wax lyrical about the virtues of a Tunnocks gobful of exquisiteness, but I’ll let the product do the talking

Jeff even has a T-shirt that says the same thing :lol:

Let's hope the weather is very kind to you for the last ones :wink:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I agree entirely about Tunnocks, food of the gods. :D
Really like these two fells a nice easy wander with spectacular views, just what you need sometimes.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby DaveB1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:35 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:I agree entirely about Tunnocks, food of the gods. :D
Really like these two fells a nice easy wander with spectacular views, just what you need sometimes.

You're right JK, Think I'll add these to the list of 'do again'

SusieThePensioner wrote:
DaveB1 wrote:This is the final report, finally! From the weekend of 2/3/4th March 2013

Hurrah!! Only a few weeks late and I'm surprised you could remember so much detail, Dave :lol: :lol:
Good to see you had such fantastic views :D
DaveB1 wrote:I could wax lyrical about the virtues of a Tunnocks gobful of exquisiteness, but I’ll let the product do the talking

Jeff even has a T-shirt that says the same thing :lol:

Let's hope the weather is very kind to you for the last ones :wink:

Thanks Susie, Off to YHA Wastwater on 19th overnight, to do Yewbarrow and Cold Pike on Saturday, if all goes well only Rannerdale Knotts left, which will take a little planning to get all the gang there for party! Will post dates etc Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:20 am

wow you've really whittled those down dave :clap: now you've mentioned tunnocks caramel wafers I can think of nothing else dammit :lol:
Bless your mrs for putting up with your repeated soirees to the hills....will she be happy that you're going to have more time to spend with her......or not :shock: ......... :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jim walton » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Good write up Dave..Have a great time on the 19Th and see you soon...jim
jim walton
Bird-watcher

Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:204   

Postby DaveB1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:08 pm

ChrisW wrote:wow you've really whittled those down dave :clap: now you've mentioned tunnocks caramel wafers I can think of nothing else dammit :lol:
Bless your mrs for putting up with your repeated soirees to the hills....will she be happy that you're going to have more time to spend with her......or not :shock: ......... :lol:

I'm very lucky Chris, she understands and encourages the healthy lifestyle bit. That weekend was a bit of a communications misunderstanding ( I'd mentioned it weeks before, she said okay, I booked it all and she realised it was her weekend off :lol: 'Too late was the cry!!). Have really enjoyed doing the more obscure Wainwrights and already mentally drawing a list up for a second visit!
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby DaveB1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:09 pm

jim walton wrote:Good write up Dave..Have a great time on the 19Th and see you soon...jim

Cheers Jim, will post the results!
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland