walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Fine Fionn Bheinn

A Fine Fionn Bheinn

Postby old danensian » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Fionn Bheinn

Date walked: 06/04/2013

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having failed to negotiate an earlier start time, seven assorted WHers finally gathered at Achnasheen station for an undeniably late start at 11.00am.

Fionn-Bheinn-01.jpg
A reflective moment looking east on Loch a Chroisg

Fionn-Bheinn-02.jpg
Equally reflective looking west - it's what you do when you don't start until just before lunchtime

“Well there’s five of us using one bathroom” claimed Keith.

Too much male grooming if you ask me.

Fionn-Bheinn-03.jpg
Rising above the glacial terraces of Achnasheen

Anyway, footprint signs showed the way up to the open hillside above Achnasheen and after following the course of the Allt Achadh na Sine for a while it was time to stop getting lured too far west towards Meall a Chaorainn.

Fionn-Bheinn-04.jpg
Meall a Chaorainn tempts you left and west

There might have been a path or track somewhere, but we simply struck off to the right – in the general direction of upwards and north. There was no evident need to go over Creagan nan Laogh so the bee-line approach was adopted.

Fionn-Bheinn-05.jpg
Threatening weather hangs around Beinn Eighe and Liathach

Reaching the edge of the drop into Toll Mor, we skirted round the curve of the corrie below, just before the cornice edge. The rounded dome was topped out in just ninety minutes.

Fionn-Bheinn-06.jpg
Beinn Liath Mhor from Fionn Bheinn

It’s not a Munro to fight and struggle for. It doesn’t leave you gasping for breath. None the less, for all that, It’s a fine top in good conditions and worth persisting with.

Fionn-Bheinn-07.jpg
A gloomy Fisherfield to the north

It’s all about position for Fionn Bheinn. The gloomy cloud-clothed Fisherfield lay to the north. Slioch, Beinn Eighe and Liathach command the skyline to the north west. Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh caught the sun to the west. Countless more spread across the horizon to the south that I couldn’t begin to name.

It was just a time to soak it all in – and be glad that none of the darker clouds were threatening our own patch of clear sky, yet. But that could change.

Fionn-Bheinn-08.jpg
Not much good weather left over the top of Fionn Bheinn

As a chill began to bite it was time to drop below the summit to escape a stiffening breeze and celebrate this minor achievement with food. Then, simply off down broadly the way we had come. Sauntering, snapping, chatting, waiting: it was one of those days when it didn’t really matter how long we took to get off the hill.

Fionn-Bheinn-09.jpg
Snow-banked pools on the descent

Finally, close to the road and the village there was a bit of tidying up to do. The 800m climbed is actually a bit of a cheat I’ll admit. The GPS said 799m, and that just felt a tad untidy. With no stile to skip over I briefly dashed up the banking to the side of the track, and came back to the sound of baying dogs. But that extra metre had been achieved.

The climb won’t stick in the memory for very long, and any sense of achievement at touching the trig point is way down my list of all time bests. However, the position and view is up there.

Company and conversation made the time and effort pass on the way up, and sharing the space on top does sometimes make you stay longer than some of those solo trips.

With perfect timing spots of rain began to fall as we got back to the car park, and within five minutes it was absolutely lashing it down.

So that was why there was a Sunday surprise when the tent flap was pulled back the next morning.

Fionn-Bheinn-10.jpg
A Sunday morning surprise

Who ordered that?
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: A Fine Fionn Bheinn

Postby Gavin99 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 pm

11 o'clock , now that is a civilised time to go walking :wink:
This looks a very pleasant wander with smashing views , nice to see what we missed on our visit the following day :crazy: Good to meet you again , hopefully catch you at the next carry on 8)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby trekker53 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 pm

A shorter walk but I imagine the boggy bits were all frozen so made for easier hiking. Still there's great views up there. Liked those 2 Loch photos. I'm not used to 11am starts either.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby tina bonar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Nicely described walk OD.The pleasant company and great views made it a very enjoyable outing on Saturday.Your first two shots are stunning
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Meatball » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:00 pm

It was a bit different the following day!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby londonwalker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi OD That's haw it was..I was there queuing for the bathroom :D :D
like the reflective photos. Not the finest hill in the world though
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby dawnfoth » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi OD - looks like a lovely hill. I have been looking forward to it for some reason and your pictures don't look too shabby! :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland