walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Posse up on Beinn Alligin

Posse up on Beinn Alligin

Postby nathan79 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 12/04/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 1320m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kinlochewe day 3 for me. Having arrived Thursday evening to rendez-vous with a handful of other early birds, Friday was Beinn Liath Mhor - Sgorr Ruadh bailed on due to surprisingly non-beer related malais.
After toiling on Beinn Liath Mhor I'd earmarked a low level long distance with Gable Gable End.

However, a Friday spent nursing 4 pints and 2 tiny drams followed by a good night's rest had me electing instead to join the squad heading for Beinn Alligin. I'd hoped for the weekend to get one of the big 3 up here done, so this'd satisfy that desire.

To the car park it was. Myself, Caeser, Bod and Valerie (Ritchie was having an away day with Gavin99), Tomsie, Jupe1407, Morecambe Monkey, Meatball and Ken.

Forecast of 30% cloud-free tops was lookingon the pessimistic side. Blue skies and fluffy clouds in the sky for a promising start. Jackets were soon removed.
IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG
3 billy goats. Gruff?

Pressed on along the pleasent path towards what looked like an uninvitingly steep climb.
IMG_0960.JPG

Fine views to be had, nice to see Liathach from the other side.
IMG_0963.JPG
Liathach's north side

IMG_0966a.jpg
Loch Torridon

Easy stuff and view savouring over, it was time to blitz that steep but thankfully shorter than expected ascent then time to hit the horns. Skies darkening, but cloud still far above us. (for now anyway).
IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0968a.jpg

IMG_0979.JPG
Munch break.

IMG_0982a.jpg

IMG_0989a.jpg

IMG_0990a.jpg

IMG_0996.JPG
Monkeying down off the horns.

Well the horns safely conquered, cloud hanging lower, time to make what looked liked another long steep pull up to Munro number 1. Seemed strange to have done so much already without hitting a summit.

IMG_0998.JPG
"Looking back, over my shoulder" (sing it, you know you want to)

IMG_0999.JPG
Ken ascends into the cloud and snow

Once more it was an ascent that was far less taxing and unenjoyable than it initially looked and soon enough Sgurr Mor's top was reached.
IMG_1000.JPG
Sgurr Mor summit

Cloud, bit of a wind and snow meant we didn't hang around here too long. A few pics then a descent, with the poor visibility it was important to bear in mind the presence of Eag Dubh.

IMG_1002.JPG
Eag Dubh, the black cleft.

Chanced upon another couple of hardy souls enjoying Alligin's delights. In trainers and trackies! "Hmmmm" I think was the collective thought. I didn't speak to them myself but others in the group did. No horns for them jut the two Munros clockwise then back down. Would we see them again?

Continuing our descent we slipped below cloud level again and almost managed to get a clear look at Sgurr Mor as the cloud blew away off it briefly.
IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG
Ahhhhhh, so that's what it looks like.

The cloud came back as quick as it went over Sgurr Mor so it was onwards and upwards towards Tom na Gruigaich. Delayed by a painful occurrence of cramp(and for once it wasn't me!) we were relieved to see two figures coming back down from Sgurr Mor towards us. It was the trainer boys, who soon passed us and were on their way back down.

Summit number two reached and it was time to break out the flapjacks. I should have broken out my camera as well. I didn't realise until we were halfway down that I'd not even grabbed a pic of the summit! Doh! :roll:
I know others did though, so I'll be thieving.

Horns done, both Munros bagged and it was time to head down towards Coire nan Laogh. Down and down through the thinning snow until the path revealed itself and we bimbled down back towards the cars.
IMG_1018.JPG
last of the snow.

IMG_1019.JPG
Back up into the corrie

An amble back down one of those paths that's generally fine but in places has steps bigger than you'd like for weary legs. Some boggier bits too. A burst of energy had me almost skipping the last wee bit back to the car park before we decamped, some of us to the Torridon Inn for eats before the evening's fun began, some straight back to KInlochewe. I certainly enjoyed my burger at the Torridon Inn, washed down with a pint of The Torrid One.

A grand day out that had me glad I hadn't settled for a low level walk. Fine company on a fine mountain.

Just need to work out when I can squeeze in return journeys for Liathach and Beinn Eighe now.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Posse up on Beinn Alligin

Postby trekker53 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 am

Aye a good report Nathan,
I kinda wish I was there, looks very dramatic in places. A wee bit better than a low level walk, eh!!!. Congrats to all.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby old danensian » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:30 am

Great description and some moody misty photos Nathan - serves as a good taster to make sure that a return is planned.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:33 am

Great report and photos! You were really lucky to get the horns done before the cloud came down :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Meatball » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Happy days!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Excellent report Nathan, which saves me the bother of typing one up. I'll probably stick the photos on that thread in General Discussion.

Cracking day out,with a good bunch. I thoroughly enjoyed the horns for a first time bit of scrambling. Pity the summits clagged up, certainly a hill i'll do again on a good day.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Enjoyed your report and certainly looked a great day out :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:23 am

Another special day, great report Nathan! :wink: :D :D
DSCN1910.JPG
After the first horn....looking very smart!
DSCN1915.JPG
The gang on the highest horn!
DSCN1917.JPG
Very nice :)
DSCN1939.JPG
Gathered on the link route between our two summits.
DSCN1962.JPG
Tom na Gruagaich, the scene of the flapjack tasting :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Sreat report on a superb day out,the scramble over the Horns was great fun. Can't believe you didn't get a summit shot on Tom na Gruagaich after chastising me for doing the same on Sgurr Mor! :shock:
Not sure where that burst of energy came from as you shot off down the path towards the end. Was it that tasty flapjack kicking in or could you taste your burger & pint waiting for you in the Torridon Inn? :lol:
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Nice one Nathan. Looking quite bright there again! I toned it down a bit that day! Good to see the word "bimble" being used again in a TR. Been a while....... :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland