walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking & Landowners - some tips that might help

Walking & Landowners - some tips that might help

Postby sloosh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:42 am

Some tips I have found useful that help keep my presence on the hills tolerable to landowners and those who make their living on the land. Some of it may seem blindingly obvious to you but they aren't to everyone.

Please also see: http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/outdoors-responsibly/access-code-and-advice/soac/

In no particular order:

If you are on a vehicular track and a vehicle is approaching, state your intentions early by finding a suitable spot to wait while the vehicle is a good distance away.
Reason: any car driver will know how disconcerting it is not to know which way a pedestrian is going to go. Taking up a spot nice and early to wait in gives the driver peace of mind whereas waiting to the last minute doesn't.

If you have to walk through a farm yard where machinery might operate, keep an eye out obviously, but don't ever try to make a dash for it if vehicles are operating.
Reason: heavy machinery operators are usually pretty insulated from the outside world by concentration on the task at hand and noise. Having someone suddenly rush to squeeze through a space rather than wait a couple of minutes is at best off putting or can result in loads being shed and at worst can result in injury or death.

Don't clog up access routes with your own vehicle.
Reason: Yes, you may leave enough room for another car to get by but that could be the day the pea harvester or the combine needs access.

Don't throw rocks into rivers.
Reason: It might be fun but not for the angler 50 yards downstream who's fish you have just scared off.

Don't climb over fences and especially dry stane dykes unnecessarily.
Reason: damage. If you break a support wire or the fencing that is time, effort and money the land manager shouldn't have to spend fixing it and the same is doubly so of dry stane dykes. Look for a gate.

Don't walk through areas that have flocks of sheep, particularly those with lambs and / or if you have a dog.
Reason: sheep are especially vulnerable to the stress of getting spooked. If they have lambs the lambs can be separated from the mother and be unable to pair up again resulting in the death of the lamb. Sheep can also spontaneously abort if they are subject to stress. This can happen at any time through the gestation period but is particularly pertinent if environmental stressors such as bad weather have taken their toll. And dogs - even though your dog may not be the type to worry sheep, the sheep don't know this and in their haste to get away they can often injure their legs. These injuries will go untreated. Take a detour if you can.

Don't walk through herds of cattle.
Reason: Similar reasons to sheep although not quite as sensitive. It's in the code but worth repeating here: if you have a dog with you and cattle look as if they are becoming aggressive, let the dog go and get yourself out of the situation as quickly as possible. The dog will be fine - they can move a lot faster than you can.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to add your own.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Re: Walking & Landowners - some tips that might help

Postby ballarat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:50 pm

dont know if the hill phone system is still in operation,but taking the time to communicate with intended victims of invasion is generally worth doing
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby Essan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:04 pm

ballarat wrote:dont know if the hill phone system is still in operation,but taking the time to communicate with intended victims of invasion is generally worth doing

The Heading for the Hills website has now superceded the old Hillphones system, although most of the old numbers still operate in tandem with it:

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/o ... ish-hills/
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 pm

sloosh wrote:Don't clog up access routes with your own vehicle.
Reason: Yes, you may leave enough room for another car to get by but that could be the day the pea harvester or the combine needs access.

Never thought about that one, will consider it more in future.

sloosh wrote:Don't throw rocks into rivers.
Reason: It might be fun but not for the angler 50 yards downstream who's fish you have just scared off.

I reckon this should be Don't fish It might be fun but not for the walker who's stone throwing you've just ruined. ;) I'm going to continue stone throwing but will aim to do so responsibly.

Only thing I can think to add is take your waste home with you but that one should go without saying. I do like the Outdoor Code ad that is only the telly just now, it's quite witty.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion