walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 Grahams from Glen Luss

4 Grahams from Glen Luss

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dubh, Beinn Eich, Cruach an t-Sidhein, Doune Hill

Date walked: 10/04/2013

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1492m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

track (4).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A quick jaunt up the a82 to the wooden bridge at Luss where you turn left into Glen Luss. I carried on up the glen and parked at the side of the road just at the entrance to Glenmollochan Farm. I'd imagine most people planning these 4 would go via Beinn Dubhs South East Ridge, but Beinn Dubh has always confused me. If anyone knows what the summit proper is then please let me know, I just always head for the 657 spot as it's the highest point :crazy: So with that in mind I leave the parking spot, head through the gate onto the hillside,and start climbing up the South East Ridge of Mid Hill, unfortunately, MWIS were spot on with their forecast of 600M cloud around the Loch Lomond area :roll: I've done the Glen Striddle Horseshoe many times, and usually Loch Lomond is a fine accompaniment on the descent back into Glen Luss, but alas, not today.
20130410_094457.jpg
Mid Hill
20130410_102505.jpg
Loch Lomond

Once up the initial ascent, there's a small cairn, and its a short walk from here to another small cairn at the 657m spot
20130410_105522.jpg
One down

From here, I skirted round Coire Carlaig and made the heartbreaking descent to the valley floor at 227m with the highest point of this group of Grahams, Doune Hill, hiding in the cloud. As I descend, light snow starts to fall, gradually turning to rain as I hit the valley floor.
20130410_110648.jpg
Doune Hill (Route of ascent to the right of the right hand stream
20130410_113732.jpg
Descent route from Mid Hill

The route to from here to Doune Hill looked pretty steep on the map, and down on the ground, this proved to be the case. On a better day, the view behind you down Glen Mollochan may be more inspiring than it was for me :lol: I eventually zigzagged my way to the col between Doune Hill and its East top where there was a fairly brisk wind, the new snow was starting to lie over existing ice patches and visibility was pants. Had to get the map and compass out as I headed for the summit, eventually JUST making out the trig point in the distance. Stop for a very quick self timer shot in horizontal snow then carefully on my way. 2 down, 2 to go
20130410_124535.jpg
View towards summit...
20130410_124949.jpg
...Spot the trig
20130410_125143.jpg
I think I'm smiling

Made my way to the 515m Bealach via Beinn Lochain, thankfully not the same leg bursting ascent as Doune Hill, and the outlying Cruach an t-Sidhein is quickly reached, even seeing a smalll cornice around the rim of the small crags below the summit
20130410_131404.jpg
Cruach an t-Sidhein
20130410_133320.jpg
The wee cornice
20130410_135431.jpg
1 to go

From the summit, I retraced my steps to the Bealach, then traversed the Southern slopes of Beinn Lochain as I headed for Beinn Eich, once again visibility here was naff, so a keen aye was always kept on map and compass, and I eventually got myself to the low point between Beinn Lochain and Beinn Eich. From here I found a bit of a path, which became more defined once the climb up Beinn Eich started, but then quickly vanished in the well trodden snow, where many footprints led me quickly to the chilly summit. Again a quick snap, then off down the East Ridge to Eddentaggert Farm, where you join the road and follow it back to the car.
20130410_141707.jpg
Beinn Eich is in there somewhere
20130410_151200.jpg
4th and final

All in all a good walk despite the lack of views, though be aware, they can be very boggy when the terrain isn't frozen ( my mate was knee deep on Beinn Dubh :lol:)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: 4 Grahams from Glen Luss

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Nice one, bit of a wild day you got though. I'm with you on the Beinn Dubh confusion as it's 642m but the summit is 657m :? :? :? Maybe it's because it sounds better, a bit like Beauchille Etive Mor. :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 pm

nope, sorry , you missed out the lower bit, it doesn`t count , get back up there and do it again ! :clap: nice walk Dave, have done most if it on seperate walks, on nicer days :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Good to see you out walking, Dave. Not good weather as your photos show but, there's nothing better than being out on the hills......well, sometimes :wink:
lomondwalkers wrote:Had to get the map and compass out

I'm all for using a map and compass :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Gavin99 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Nice one , that's a fine round , I like the photo of the cornice on Cruach , it suits it 8)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Nice, the Graham's next to Beinn Dubh are the more impressive of the bunch anyway IMHO :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one, bit of a wild day you got though. I'm with you on the Beinn Dubh confusion as it's 642m but the summit is 657m :? :? :? Maybe it's because it sounds better, a bit like Beauchille Etive Mor. :crazy:

Aye maybe that's it Johnny, and it's just as inspiring as you approach it on the a82 :lol:

tomyboy73 wrote:nope, sorry , you missed out the lower bit, it doesn`t count , get back up there and do it again ! :clap: nice walk Dave, have done most if it on seperate walks, on nicer days :lol:

Shame on me Tommy, I'll wait til it's another crappy day and go back.... shouldn't need to wait too long :lol: Aye, I seen you even spotted some eagles up that way :clap:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Good to see you out walking, Dave. Not good weather as your photos show but, there's nothing better than being out on the hills......well, sometimes :wink:
lomondwalkers wrote:Had to get the map and compass out

I'm all for using a map and compass :lol: :lol:

Sometimes??? Whatever can you mean? :crazy: :crazy: :lol: Can't complain about the weather really, we were spoiled for long enuff. Back to the norm now though :thumbdown:

Gavin99 wrote:Nice one , that's a fine round , I like the photo of the cornice on Cruach , it suits it 8)

The wee cornice was a nice surprise 8)

Stuart Angus wrote:Nice, the Graham's next to Beinn Dubh are the more impressive of the bunch anyway IMHO :thumbup:

I'm with you on that one Stuart :thumbup:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland