walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

You "Kintail" gammy was about

You "Kintail" gammy was about

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:13 am

Route description: Sgùrr nan Conbhairean round

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 13/04/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1322m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

90% cloud free northwest Scotland so said MWIS,so after looking at jonny 616,quoman & my munro map Kintail was picked for the latest outing for the Munro Meanderers crew,that and the small problem that jonny616 has now got to travel over 100 miles to turn his red balloons blue.Now as you may well know my clag attracting ability is 2nd to none,jonny616 has a knack of bad weather on his outings also,but 90% cloud free that's a big window to fill for even us two :roll:,course we did not factor in Ceaser who we met at the carpark at the start of this walk,so that's 3 people with legendry clag attracting abilitys all in the same area,all doing the same walk.Ceaser & soapy(I think that's his name) started of at a cracking pace and soon left us 3 well behind,hmmm,2 cag miesters at the rear,1 clag miester at the front this will test mwis if nothing else.

The 1st signs were good,no wind & clear skys above as climbed the stalkers path up the shoulder of the ist summit but soon the clag miesers started to weave the spell and all to soon we were in the all to familiar low cloud & no views :lol: .The 1st summit was reached without to much bother,the walk to the 2nd summit was shall we say"interesting",fairly steep terrain,complete white out,deep snow,and huge cornices round the corrie rim made navigation a shade testing to say the least,near the top of no2 we saw two walkers approaching,it was ceaser & soapy,turns out they had made the 2nd summit & dropped down to the bealach between the 2nd & 3rd top,but the conditions were way too dangerous to go any further & made the call to turn back,with this in mind we pressed on with a lets see & make a call when we get there,2nd summit reached,then a bearing taken to no 3,map,compass & 3 gps units all checked,walked for 100 steps & 2nd summit cairn reappeared :shock: wow,never had this before,same with jonny & quoman,so start again,compass bearing,3 gps units checked again,this time the weather gods gave us a wee break,and the clag cleared just enough to see where we were heading :shock: :shock: it was not a good site,we could see the bealach we wanted,but it was very narrow with a huge drop off on our l/h/s and even bigger cornices on the r/h/s,this was where ceaser & soapy had turned back and we can see why,so whats to do,then we got a break,and huge break,the wind died & the cloud lifted giving us a perfect view ahead,but it was still going to be a carefull walk till the ridge widened enough to make the walking easier,we took this nice n slow and after what seemed forever got across and had a wee breather and had a wee look back where we had came from,and then watched 5 other walkers behind us doing the same,they seemed to be very close to the edge of the cornice but all got past safe & well,after this it was an easy stroll to the 3rd summit of the day in now beautiful weather,on the way down we met & spoke to the 5 other walkers who turned out to be MRT peeps on a day out,we had a fair wee chin wag with them & told them they were a wee shade to close to the edge of the cornice in our view,turns out they were thinking the same watching us pass the cornice :lol: :lol: infact they were thinking their day out would turn into a job for them.The way back was now just a matter of following our steps back,with the MRT guys walking with us for the full walk out,great guys & lassie,made even better when we got back down to the road & they gave us a run back along the road to our car,many,many thanks for this,Hope ou like the pics from the day.
DSCF3115.JPG
DSCF3116.JPG
DSCF3117.JPG
DSCF3119.JPG
DSCF3120.JPG
DSCF3121.JPG
DSCF3122.JPG
DSCF3124.JPG
DSCF3126.JPG
DSCF3126.JPG[/attachment]
DSCF3127.JPG
DSCF3128.JPG
DSCF3129.JPG
DSCF3130.JPG
DSCF3131.JPG
DSCF3132.JPG
DSCF3133.JPG
DSCF3134.JPG
DSCF3135.JPG
DSCF3136.JPG
DSCF3137.JPG
DSCF3138.JPG
DSCF3139.JPG
DSCF3140.JPG
DSCF3141.JPG
Attachments
DSCF3125.JPG
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: You "Kintail" gammy was about

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Great day.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Superb dayout again..aye that second summit was a bit tricky round in a circle you should see the track when i uploaded it to my laptop one big loop :?
It was good to meet and walk with the MRT/RAF Team
sail chaorainn (10) - Copy.JPG
sail chaorainn (11) - Copy.JPG
sail chaorainn (35).JPG
sail chaorainn (37) - Copy.JPG
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Stuart Angus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Brilliant wee trip this, loved reading it :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:33 pm

:lol: Good to see you haven't totally regained your "clag bringers crown" and you did get some views :thumbup: Sounded a great day despite the tricky conditions. Still to get to these hills, hopefully not in the too distant future - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Well done two Willies and a Jonny :clap: :clap:

Clag or no clag, it looks like a fab day out! :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ceaser » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:36 pm

well done GLW , i feeel so happy that you lot managed to get the 3 done :clap: it doesnt bother me in the least ,that we had to turn back after 2 and then watch the clouds dissapear as we made our way back to the car :wink: :lol:
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:40 pm

ceaser wrote:well done GLW , i feeel so happy that you lot managed to get the 3 done :clap: it doesnt bother me in the least ,that we had to turn back after 2 and then watch the clouds dissapear as we made our way back to the car :wink: :lol:

We saw your lunch spot at the bealach,you did the right thing,we would have turned back also it the cloud had not lifted,it wasn't a place to put a foot wrong ceaser.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby ceaser » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:47 pm

aye ,it was an easy decision wullie ,met another guy back at the car , who was just in front of us on the walk ,he bailed out on the 2nd summit due to the bad visibility .....the hills arent going anywhere ,i,ll catch the 3 rd one sometime :D
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:29 pm

well done mate ,nae crampons on this trip :lol: , cant wait to get out again wae you another 3 in bag dont think i will ever catch you
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby mrssanta » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Was just a wee bit concerned last night thinking you'd a MRT experience to report, glad it was a good one 8)
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby soapy27 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Braw report there Gammy and reading that about the ridge i'm glad we turned back .Looks like it paid off for taking your time too. Was nice to meet you guys as well :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Looks great! I wish I had stayed another night in the tent and met you in the morning to grab that last munro. To be honest, having spent a day on the South Glen Shiel Ridge on the friday, I thought the ridge to the last munro (Sail Chaorainn), would have been very dangerous indeed and thus my decision for coming home. Glad you guys made it across and back safely and MRT didn't end up on the job. Looks like a fabby day and the weather didn't look too bad at all :D :clap:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby Rottiewalker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:27 pm

well done glw an company, i was up there last month with quoman an tomsie, we turned back after 2nd one due to conditions, still Sail Chaorainn to do, hopefully soon tho! anyway well done again :clap: :clap:
Rottiewalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:56
Fionas:5   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:14   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Loved reading your report, Willie, sounded a great day :thumbup:

Some fantastic photos and I'm sure there must be a good one for the monthly competition :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland