walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via CMD gets a perfect ten

Ben Nevis via CMD gets a perfect ten

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 05/04/2013

Time taken: 6.5 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was grateful for another chance to get an outdoor session, this time I planned a revisit to Ben Nevis. The high pressure was still in the area so I aimed for the horseshoe of tops, Carn Beag Dearg 1010, Carn Dearg Meadhonach 1179 and the Carn Mor Dearg 1220 then across the CMD arête and up the south ridge to the top of the BEN and down via the Carn Dearg 1221.
I started from the North Face car park near Torlundy at 0745. The track led up to the upper car park (where I guess you need to be in some fraternity to obtain one of these spaces) before crossing the style and alongside Allt a Mhuilinn. A feint path led onto the NW ridge. With each step the views of the vertical northern cliffs emerged.

The summit cairn on CBD was found at 0950. The icy cliff edge was easily followed up on to the top of CDM at 1005, then up onto the CMD summit cairn at 1025.

Just found out that you can click on the images to make them larger and enhance views.

BenNevisApril2013 035 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

The views were superb and were completely dominated by the 700m cliffs on the North face.
BenNevisApril2013 047 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 052 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

The ridge narrowed on descent and continued along the sharp edge of the Coire Leis. Footing was sure as the snow was consolidated and the path fairly obvious. Still, not the ideal place to fret about falling to the left or right or consider the meaning of vertigo.
BenNevisApril2013 053 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 057 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 080 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 089 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 090 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

At the end of the arête a proud cairn is sited to indicate a viable escape route in the event of adverse weather. This leads down into the Coire Leis although without crampons and an ice axe it would be very dangerous in winter conditions.
The surrounding views around the Mamores, Grey corries, into Glencoe were grand and endless.
BenNevisApril2013 098 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 099 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 113 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 119 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 142 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Continued up the very steep south ridge which involved many recovery stops before the slope eased as the summit was reached.1200.
BenNevisApril2013 154 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 169 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 163 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

The clear skies contrasted well with the snow covering and the views around were stunning. I had to climb up on the large shelter as on previous visits it had been too busy. I almost slipped off on the descent as another climber appeared.
I wandered over to the north side of the summit passed the deep gully known as gardyloo and had a wee peak down, before taking some photos back across the summit. I took a personal moment to remember a colleague who recently died after a fatal fall on the northern cliffs. (RIP Mark)
BenNevisApril2013 189 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 194 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 201 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 213 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 216 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

In these weather conditions the summit of the highest point in the UK is a great place to be. However it is not always like this and it is worth recording some important emergency bearings for navigating when conditions are not so good. From the summit cairn, grid bearings of 231 degrees for 150m then after the top of gardyloo adjust to 282 and follow to avoid the dangerous five finger gully. (remember to make adjustments for magnetic north) Further details can be viewed at http://www.mcofs.org.uk/ben-nevis-navigation.asp

BenNevisApril2013 230 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
BenNevisApril2013 232 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I reluctantly headed back down following the edges of the famous gullys and buttresses to Carn Dearg tops then south west into the red burn, Coire na h Urchaire which was covered in snow and was perfect using crampons and ice axe.
BenNevisApril2013 255 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

A path led alongside the Lochan Meall an t Suidhe and meandered north down to the upper level car park and the North Face car park at 1430. The information boards in the car park were excellent and displayed useful contact numbers and details of routes for visitors. Also got a nice wee view of a par three golf hole, must be time for golf now...
BenNevisApril2013 316.JPG
A wee golf hole peeking through the trees

This walk gets a perfect ten/ ten from me for everything and with over 350 images truly refreshed my memory of the Big Ben.
Last edited by scottishkennyg on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: Ben Nevis via CMD gets a perfect ten

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 pm

well done, some great pictures too
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby scottishkennyg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm

thanks tomboy...that was definitely one of the best times on the Ben...
scottishkennyg

Postby erin_niamh » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Stunning!! Does it get any better on the Ben? You have made me want to go and do it again! lol
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks Erin, it is well worth another visit especially if the high pressure is around with clear skies..
scottishkennyg

Postby shelbyandamonkey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:17 pm

glorious! I'm disgustingly jealous! Some great pics there :D
shelbyandamonkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Cheers shelbyandamonkey..I was very lucky to get such great weather and conditions on this occasion..
scottishkennyg

Postby andymeg123 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Looks like you got a perfect "tan"!! Excellent report. Fabulous views! Thanks for the heads up about Gardyloo in poor weather. Planning a trip via CMD arete later this year but will wait for less snowy conditions.
andymeg123
Munro compleatist

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks andymeg123, like the pun, hopefully you will get good weather and a chance to put on the sun tan lotion.... :D
scottishkennyg

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:45 am

Wonderful photos that capture the atmosphere of your day. I really does look beautiful up there.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby ZEbbEDY » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:44 am

amazing pics man
ZEbbEDY
Rambler

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks Sarah86, it is a stunning place especially when the sky is as clear as it was on this day.
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks ZEbbEDY...it's easy when the sky is clear and the views are grand for a layman like me to point and go. :lol:
scottishkennyg

Postby andymeg123 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Cracking photos. Hoping to do this but avoiding snow/avalanche risk. Expect it will be more scrambly than when covered in snow/ice. Would love to do in the snow but not got the experience. Worried about taking on too much especially in view of one of your hairier reports on http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29839
Andy
andymeg123
Munro compleatist

Postby scottishkennyg » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:29 pm

andymeg123 wrote:Cracking photos. Hoping to do this but avoiding snow/avalanche risk. Expect it will be more scrambly than when covered in snow/ice. Would love to do in the snow but not got the experience. Worried about taking on too much especially in view of one of your hairier reports on http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29839
Andy

Cheers Andy, hope you enjoy the CMD route and get the great views . Thanks for the timely reminder about that hairy moment on SnC as it was just about this time last year!!Hopefully the weather is about to change and the high pressure is not far away to get us going. :crazy:
scottishkennyg

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland