walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shaking Hands all the way, Tinto Hill

Shaking Hands all the way, Tinto Hill

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 am

Route description: Tinto from the north

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 01/01/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 486m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We set of for Tinto on New Year’s Day, somewhere close enough and a hill with no cliff tops.
Arrived at 10am and the small car park was nearly full (Space for a dozen cars, then everyone parks on the approach road).
Geared up and set of up the path following the fence line, through the kissing gate and then into nice deep soft snow. There was a slight wind so even though there was walkers already up the hill; you had to look hard for the track. It was easy enough to plough through the snow, drifting to a couple of feet in places.
CIMG1067.jpg
The path up, honest its there
CIMG1069.jpg
Broughton Hills
CIMG1072.jpg
Dollar law and others

A third of the way up, we see the first walkers coming down. As the approached us, walking poles were swung under their arms, and they took of their right gloves, 3 of them in a row then happily shook our hands as they passed wishing us a Happy New year, I couldn’t stop smiling after that, this weird sight of people shaking hands as they passed.
After about 10 people I stopped taking my glove off, yes happy New Year but it is minus 10 for goodness sake.
We made it to the top after 1 hour 40 minutes; the snow on the way up was constantly drifting to well above your new making the last 500 meters very slow going (plus shaking hands all the time)
CIMG1081.jpg
Fence to the top
CIMG1085.jpg
Summit in view

As we summated the wind changed, just to make sure you were awake; we took some pictures on the cairn then made a wee snow shelter to get out of the wind for our lunch. What a view, and we were both over the moon we had decided to come out on New Year’s Day.
CIMG1086.jpg
View from the top, looking towards England and Isle of Man
CIMG1087.jpg
Culter fell etc
CIMG1088.jpg
Stobb Law etc
CIMG1090.jpg
Pentland Hills
CIMG1091.jpg
The way up, The small forest 2nd from right is where the car park is, the black dots in the snow are walkers
CIMG1092.jpg
Looking west from summit
CIMG1094.jpg
Tattys first hill (The toy dog)

We sat enjoying our soup, coffee and rolls when an elderly gent stumbled off the cairn. We had seen him take the wrong turn on the ascent (however I thought he was going a different walk at the time), He was dressed as Tom Weir did in Weirs way, Thin waterproof trousers, jacket, woolly hat and gloves. We could see he was having problems and shared our coffee and soup with him to try and get some heat back into him, long story but we were eventually happy he was ok on his way back down and followed at a distance.
A few pictures at the trig point just to the side of the Cairn then we retreated from the wind back the way we came, more happy new year handshakes and a few on your arse or frontal snow angels and we were back down to the lower slopes, only to be passed by a few skiers coming down, lucky gits.
It was a great day out, made all the better by the snow.
CIMG1102.jpg
Very widy
CIMG1104.jpg
Trig Point with bronze-age summit cairn in background
CIMG1106.jpg
Snow art
CIMG1120.jpg
Just wanted a rest, honest I didnt fall
CIMG1122.jpg
Sweet revenge after she takes a pic of me on my backside
Attachments
CIMG1089.jpg
Pentland Hills
Last edited by allansmitchell on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Shaking Hands all the way, Tinto Hill

Postby malky_c » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:58 pm

These are brilliant! I've seen a couple of Tinto reports on here before, but none with particuarly good photos.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby doogz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:43 pm

some good shots there Al .....except the red date :? .....can you not turn that off and improve your pics 10 fold :)

Original Paisley myself although moved a few miles south of paisley in the last 20 years...Barrhead

looks a good hours walk ....maybe have a look soon

cheers

Doogz
doogz

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Dont know what happened with the date, wasnt on the day before, can only presume the new year reset it to default, was slightly annoyed by it myself
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby doogz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Photo shop the dates out by cropping then re enter your photos...some good shots

cheers Allan
doogz

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Excellent report - I reckon Tinto from the north is great for early winter skills practice.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:22 pm

doogz wrote:Photo shop the dates out by cropping then re enter your photos...some good shots

cheers Allan

The pic quality doesnt deserve the work, just a wee compact camera, if any were wall worthy I would probably have done it.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland