walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Mullardoch in May ?

Mullardoch in May ?

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Just having a think about possible trips - wondered if anyone would be interested in Loch Mullardoch 12 ?

Possibly mid to late May, prefer to keep a wee bit flexible (don't want to go in bad weather), prefer after snow away (so as not to have to carry winter gear). From mid May, sunrise 0500hrs, sunset 2130hrs, ie 16.5hrs daylight - longer at end May. I'm fine with plodding along all day on long days (I don't go fast) but others maybe not ?

Complete round from the east is approx 56km and 4,600m-5,000m ascent (approx). If say 4km/hr + 600m/hr, this gives 23hrs plus stops, ie two long days or 2.5 days. Water sources could be few and far between - map suggests not many sources but need to investigate further. Most seem to go clockwise.

Two options may be:

Anticlockwise:Day1 - very early start, north and down to far west of loch, water supplies at Gobh-alltan then climb to a bit north of Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan (967m) and stop for night. Day 2 - very early start, complete south and back to start. Slightly longer day 2, slightly more ascent day 1.

Clockwise: Part day on Day1 - climb to 951m west of Toll Creagach (or further west to cut down Day2, carry water supplies ?) and camp (about 1000m and 9km). Day2 - rest of south and stop at west of loch at Gobh-alltan (about 2000-2500m and 27km). Day 3 - north and back to start (about 1800km and 20km).

or something else ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Mullardoch in May ?

Postby malky_c » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 am

Not sure if I'll be allowed out camping so soon after the last time, but this has been on my radar ever since I moved to Inverness. Originally as a 1 day thing, but now I have a tent I can actually carry, I'd consider it as an overnighter too :)

So depending on the details, I'd definitely be interested.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 am

I did this last year.. over 3 days, although the last day was only about 5 hours.. could of squeezed it into 2, but that would of been a fair amount of effort, and I'm lazy :lol:

I wouldn't contemplate doing it clockwise.. The heather is very very deep heading up from the dam, and would be a complete nightmare to go uphill in.. It was a nightmare downhill ffs! :D

As for water.. The northern 4 arent so big that you cant carry enough to get over them.. On the affrick side, you follow a burn all the way up to the ridge, then there isnt more until Carn Eighe bypass path, and you will also get some from a wee stream that comes east off the ridge, just before the final ascent of finlay.. Nice camping there too if it isnt too windy..

Would definately be up for doing it again.. Dont know if I would be free when you are going though.. but keep Leithy or me informed and maybe we could fit it in :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby john928 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Might well be interested in this as these are on my hit list. I'm off the last week in May so providing the weather is fair and most of the snow has gone I might be up for it. I was originally planning to do the Alder 6 that week but this is very tempting.

John
john928
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Postby kevsbald » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Last week in May would be a good time for me - would be happy to have a go at this. A veritable WH meet in the clouds!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Meatball » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm in!
I'm free from 11th to 17/18th...I'm in Skye 20th-22nd.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby mini1mini2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Will keep an eye on this as its the way to go,cant commit till nearer the time due to work,heres hoping :) Gordon
mini1mini2
Mountaineer

Munros:132   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:214   

Postby wevster12 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:44 pm

deff on my list, free most of may only a couple of dates i would struggle with, if you can me posted please
wevster12
Mountain Walker

Munros:87   
Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:98   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Taking BC's advice, it sounds as though anticlockwise is the better direction.
I'm thinking about Fri 24 May - Sat 25 May with dawn starts but may need to extend into Sun 26 May but will wait until very near the time to see weather forecast. However, if the weather is very good the previous weekend then may go Fri 17 May - Sat 18/Sun 19 instead.
Either way don't plan to go if weather isn't good, will extend into third day if proving too hard going for 2 days with full packs and hope that the snow's gone to avoid carrying winter gear.
I appreciate that this may be too flexible for people (I'm too used to walking solo :roll: ) but if you're interested, please PM me - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby billrattray » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 am

rockhopper wrote:Taking BC's advice, it sounds as though anticlockwise is the better direction.
I'm thinking about Fri 24 May - Sat 25 May with dawn starts but may need to extend into Sun 26 May but will wait until very near the time to see weather forecast. However, if the weather is very good the previous weekend then may go Fri 17 May - Sat 18/Sun 19 instead.
Either way don't plan to go if weather isn't good, will extend into third day if proving too hard going for 2 days with full packs and hope that the snow's gone to avoid carrying winter gear.
I appreciate that this may be too flexible for people (I'm too used to walking solo :roll: ) but if you're interested, please PM me - cheers :)

Rockhopper, I always go solo on the hills but would be seriously interested joining up if it was 17-19, provided you guys are happy for me to join you. I could possibly make the following week, but join up with anglo-celt friends who do a long distance trek (well actually a leisurely pub crawl) every May, which kicks off on 26 May.

I'll keep checking on here for updates.
billrattray
Munro compleatist

Munros:277   Corbetts:6

Postby Meatball » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 pm

billrattray wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Taking BC's advice, it sounds as though anticlockwise is the better direction.

Rockhopper, I always go solo on the hills but would be seriously interested joining up if it was 17-19, provided you guys are happy for me to join you. I could possibly make the following week, but join up with anglo-celt friends who do a long distance trek (well actually a leisurely pub crawl) every May, which kicks off on 26 May.

I'll keep checking on here for updates.

I definitely cannot do the second week.
Weather permitting I'll probably try the earlier dates...if that suits anyone else?
Meatball

Postby Kevin29035 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:04 pm

I did it in 2 days last summer from the dam. Though I'm busy with hills in May so couldn't make it.

I did it anti-clockwise and would probably do it this way again. The first 4 are big but it feels good to reach the half-way river quick (even though Ceathreamhnan is the real half way!)

Water sources aren't great. Me and my pal went the second day sucking the water out of apples which was stupid. But I couldn't face descending into a coire to get water at the start of day 2. We bivvied on An Socach but for the extra weight of my 1 man tent (like a kg) I really should have just done that instead of waking up in the wee hours with cold ran on my face. Hmm!
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby dawnfoth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Hiya, I will keep an eye on this link if you want to post nearer the time when you are going. I understand this will probably be last minute due to the weather, which is fine by me. Me going is dependent on being able to maintain my fitness amongst other things and likewise I will not be going if the weather is minging :D

Cheers, Dawn
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 pm

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Meatball » Mon May 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Any updates?
Meatball

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs