walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Mor Coigach (Garbh Choireachan)

Ben Mor Coigach (Garbh Choireachan)

Postby litljortindan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Route description: Ben Mór Coigach and Sgùrr an Fhìdhleir

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Mór Coigach

Date walked: 27/01/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 604m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a good day here a couple of years ago. The need to travel there and back same day starting from Aberdeenshire necessitated a short walk so I elected to visit the west end of the ridge only.
The morning was quite spring like and I had a very pleasant walk up into the glen to the north of the main ridge.
Surprisingly, there was a lot of thin ice from about the 500m contour upwards.
I got to the bealach between the main top of Ben Mor Coigach and Garbh Choireachan after a couple of hours and decided to head straight west from there as I was already short on time. I then had a highly entertaining walk along that narrow section of ridge in the late afternoon light and mist.
This was also an occasion for me to say goodbye to a family member who had recently died so it is a day that will always stand out in my memory.
I reached the end of the ridge as the sun was setting which was both poignant, for the aforementioned reason, and bloody freezing! I was so desperate to photograph and video that sunset and at the same time had to take my gloves off to work things properly that I was really getting seriously cold with the wind that was rising.
I tried to be decisive and descend but had to stop a couple more times on the way down to do more photographing, videoing and freezing.
Once I'd descended about half way the air warmed up and I had a tolerable stumble through the peat following the path down in the dark.
IMGP3175.JPG
bmc1 11

IMGP3178.JPG
bmc2 11
IMGP3195.JPG
bmc 11
IMGP3185.JPG
bmc4 11
IMGP3194.JPG
bmc5 11
IMGP3220.JPG
bmc6 11
IMGP3221.JPG
bmc7 11
IMGP3226.JPG
bmc8 11
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Ben Mor Coigach (Garbh Choireachan)

Postby kevsbald » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Some nice shots of my favourite wee hill.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Ben Mor Coigach (Garbh Choireachan)

Postby litljortindan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 pm

kevsbald wrote:Some nice shots of my favourite wee hill.

A man with good taste in hills obviously! Think I've been there five times in all and maybe I'll manage another five in the future...

This is from the coldest day I've ever had on a hill:
54100173v2.jpg
brr!

Knees suffered for months after. But otherwise I have great memories of this place.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland