walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Liath and Culardoch from Keiloch

Carn Liath and Culardoch from Keiloch

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:05 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag an Dail Bheag, Culardoch

Date walked: 22/04/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 998m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dry, bright and clear with a bit of sun, looking good for a walk in the Southern Cairngorms with two Corbetts to be added to my list. The carpark at Keiloch is well sign posted from the Braemar/Ballater road A93, parking costs you £2.50 and there is also a toilet. I left the carpark at 1025hrs and followed the access road to Invercauld House passing the estates office on my right.
1.JPG
Carpark and toilet at the start of the walk
2.JPG
Signage to follow, take the left fork soon after leaving the carpark
3.JPG
The access road to Invercauld House, before reaching the house there is a track on the right heading up the hill through the woods, also signposted
4.JPG
Track through the trees, gives nice walking spongy in places, nice for the feet, nothing too stoney
5.JPG
Looking back the way I came with Lochnagar and Glenshee hills in the distance
6.JPG
Track open up for a section before entering another wooded area where there is a wooden gate and pass gate not locked, fine for a bicycle if you wished. Thid track is a right of way to Tomintoul
7.JPG
Track with Carn Liath on the left, the first Corbett to be climbed
8.JPG
At the low point of the track you come across a wooden bridge over the Allt Cu'l
9.JPG
Further up the track about 400m head off up tracklesss hillside to climb through heather on the South East shoulder of Carn Liath to reach the summit cairn where there are fine vies of Ben Avon
10.JPG
View to my next Corbett, Culardoch. Just taken two hours to get to the summit, now to head off down East to pick up the track again
11.JPG
Before leaving I took a photograph of the lichen covered cairn stones
12.JPG
Culardoch in the distance, quite rocky with no path with small pockets of snow, at the base of the hill ground gets much wetter and there id a feint path to the track
13.JPG
Evidence of a study of heather re-generation taking place
14.JPG
Within an hour your at the trig point after following the track for most of the way up until it heads North rather abruptly
15.JPG
Instead of heading off to the track cutting across the base of the South side of Culardoch I decided to head for the original track, a mistake, the ground was pretty wet and boggy, I shouldhave headed down South to hit the other track which carries on and meets up with the right of way track at the wooden bridge, will know next time. Snow melt pouring onto the track.
16.JPG
Looking South from the track
17.JPG
Wooden bridge at the Allt Cu'l
18.JPG
Looking over Glen Feardar

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Carn Liath and Culardoch from Keiloch

Postby mrssanta » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:58 pm

that looked like a grand day out, good to see some vegetation and blue sky
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm

mrssanta wrote:that looked like a grand day out, good to see some vegetation and blue sky

It was a lovely day, what a start to the weekend, pity the Saturday and Sunday was not quite up to the same standard. But when you get a day like that it gives you a proper lift, and the snow is dissapearing fast.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Two fine hills with good walking in on tracks. Certainly better weather than I got for my double header on them! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Graeme D wrote:Two fine hills with good walking in on tracks. Certainly better weather than I got for my double header on them! :lol:

Hi Graeme D, It was a fine day, and the track was surprisingly nice to walk on, really enjoyed it, maybe because it was my first hill for over two weeks, because of a wee tumble at the end of March on the Lomonds. Now fine and raring to go again. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Benjaminnevis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Great to see the snaw disappearing am fed up looking at pictures a snaw covered hills.i did this 2 in blistering heat end oh may last year unfortunately that was the end of the summer it hosed down for months after that :( :( Great walk tho and grand views all round.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Benjaminnevis wrote:Great to see the snaw disappearing am fed up looking at pictures a snaw covered hills.i did this 2 in blistering heat end oh may last year unfortunately that was the end of the summer it hosed down for months after that :( :( Great walk tho and grand views all round.

Aye not much snow left that's for sure, ground pretty wet with the snow melt, cracking track though! There was no Summer at all last year, this year must be better! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland