walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd and Buidhe

Stuchd and Buidhe

Postby scooby0511 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 am

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 20/04/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another nice day to be had in the Glen Lyon area, although not as bright and clear as previous weekends.

The snow has nearly all gone except for a few stretches on Stuchd an Lochain, which didn't give any cause for concern, but Crampons and Ice Axe was taken just in case.

Lovely drive up with excellent views, first time on the road from Ben Lawers car park and it was great with some four to five foot snow drifts still in situ at the side of the road, but not on the road itself.

I decided to do Stuchd first because on reading reports i thought that it would have been easier to follow from the maps and once up, I could plan my route up Meall Buidhe from a good vantage point.

Parked the car and left the car park at about 1006 just after a couple who I bumped into a few times on both hills and they were kind enough to take my summit shots for me.

dam and start to Stuchd.JPG
Start of walk with steep climb ahead

The guide books mention the start of this walk as being steep, which it was, but it was a good path and rewarding with views down the Glen or up the Dam to take your mind off the climb.

Once you reach Creag an Fheadain the views over to the south open up and they are great, but you had to watch for the ice patches on the path.

IMGP0098.JPG
Steep climb finished and view ahead

Got very windy at this point and it was a cold wind, but looking ahead your adrenalin kicks in and you just want to get to the summit.

Snow was nice to look at, but didn't cause any issues with enough exposed grass to avoid the snow if that is what you wanted to do.

Compared to Weaselmasters walk report "2 Easy Lyons - Stuched and Buidhe" the conditions at the top was totally different and it was only the weekend before.

Thanks to a lovely couple, and their dog, I got a nice full length summit shot with no snow on the summit. Excuse the hat, it was all I could find in the boot of the car, but my ears were warm.

Stuchd Summit 1.JPG
Stuchd summit

Snow on Stuchd.JPG
Snow waiting to go

Did think on the way up about the long walk round, but decided to walk back to the car park when I took in the views from the summit. Decided i would lighten my load at the car before heading to Meall Buidhe seen as I could see I would not need crampons or ice axe.

Lochan Daimh and Meall Buidhe 2.JPG
Second target

With the views of Buidhe I knew roughly what route I was going take, this was confirmed when I spotted the small cairn on the road and the light track going up.

The path was easy enough, but was also easily lost and although I had my map and compass, I could see the target ahead so that is what I aimed for.

The peat bogs were great fun trying to dodge them and it was easier because some points were still solid underfoot with the frost and still some snow.

After what seemed a long climb I got to the top and wishful thinking I thought I reached the summit, until I got there and seen I still had a bit to do.

Meall Buidhe Summit ahead.JPG
Not quite there yet

Another summit photo thanks to the nice couple. Great views all around on this summit, sometimes you don't realise how long you stop for to take in the views, but it is a must when the weather is good.

Way down was easy enough although you have to be careful in the bogs as it is easy to loose the path although you can easily just keep your eye on where the dam is and head for that point.

Meall Buidhe snow.JPG
Last of the snow on Buidhe

A good day out with some great views on the hills and from the car on the road up.
Attachments
Meall Buidhe Summit shot 1.JPG
Meall Buidhe Summit
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Stuchd and Buidhe

Postby Bod » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Hello there Scooby0511! A fine day it was on Saturday and yes that was myself, valerie and gavin99 on top of Stuchd.....sorry we didn't get a chance to blether. The three of us and Ritchie our golden lab were sat beyond and below the summit and stayed there for some time enjoying the views down to the loch. You guys all arrived and left again whilst we were sat there. Cracking day though, and when we got back down to the car I headed up the neighbouring the corbett Cam Chreag just east of Buidhe, another nice walk :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby scooby0511 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:29 am

Cheers Bod, next time I will say hello. It was all about timeing as we were not all together even though we arrived together, if you know what I mean. It was a good day.
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:58 pm

it's a lovely hat, who cares about the latest style if they have warm ears!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby simon-b » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:02 am

Cheers scooby, very timely. I'm staying in Killin for 7 nights starting a week on Saturday, and I'm hoping to climb these two. So this post is useful. Did you see if there was a lot of snow on Ben More and Stob Binnein?
Nice photos, great report.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby scooby0511 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Cheers mrssanta it was warm.

Thanks Simon-b, a little snow still on Ben More and Stob Binnein, but with the weather this week it may all go.

I'm planning to do Meall Corraniach and Meall a'Choire Leith on Saturday rather than Bridge of Orchy so I will give an update.
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland