walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin and a mickle bit more

Meikle Bin and a mickle bit more

Postby GillC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 06/04/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 622m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having had a morning swimming, driving range and lunch, I didnt want to waste this great weather,,so with basic kit, (boots, waterproof jacket, juice and chocolate) already in the car. I headed for a solo stroll 'somewhere' in the Campsies as its on my back door step.

Often overlooked for more challenging or far flung walks I thought it would be nice to use my 2 yr old, and so far unused, Cicerone book on The Ochils, Campsie Fells and Lomond Hills, so coupled with the OS map,, I got to the Crow Road carpark before investigating where to go. From the carpark, I considered revisiting Cort Ma Law and Lecket, having done that solo before,,on a very wet misty day, but the lower slopes were mobbed, as was the downward on the reverse at Lecket Hill. I then decided to wander up Dungoil a little further on the Crow Road, then Meikle Bin came into view. Was it too late in the day (after 2pm)? Stronend crags was an option, then with no where to park there, I thought, stuff it,,Meikle Bin it is.
IMG-20130406-01048.jpg
View from the Crow Road

The last time I climbed Meikle Bin, I did the majority of the journey on my dads shoulders....you may realise then, that this was not recently. In fact I think much of the forestry covering the walk up probably hadn't even been planted then. From memory,,only dad and I made it that day as mum, sis and bro turned back because the flies and midgies were too much. I have spent almost 40 years or so thinking my dad carried me on his shoulders to let me escape the little blighters,,,but yesterday, it suddenly struck me,,,did he do it to keep them off HIM!! lol

I know of the remnants of a plane that crashed there but didnt see any sign of it on this walk, is it still there?

Quick change of trousers in the spacious parking area opposite Todholes, boots on and off I went. Low views over the Carron Reservoir and several 3 manned boats out fishing.
IMG-20130406-01017.jpg
Looking over the Carron Res from the lower path.
There are one or two paths leading off the main track, but just carry on until you cross the river on the concrete bridge, over a very straight, shallow River Carron flowing to the reservoir.
IMG-20130406-01045.jpg
River Carron

I often pass walkers going up hills later in the day and wonder why, but here I was,,today I WAS that person. Walking on my own, means no reason to stop for a natter, so on I went, at a fairly fast pace for me. Lots of walkers around in the lower forest paths which weave around the land south of the reservoir.

As you rise through the trees after taking the right hand fork beyond the river, you are teased by glimpses of the views North. Passing under Little Bin on your left, you dont get a view of that until you pass by and get to look back over your left shoulder. The views to the North open up here for a short spell. Could see straight through to the tracts of snow covered hills.
IMG-20130406-01022.jpg
View North over Double Craigs to Stronend and beyooooooooonnnnnnd

IMG-20130406-01019.jpg
Todays target

The forestry looks thick on the map but there are plenty breaks in the trees and with the sun shining on a pretty snowy track,,it was a pleasure (if a bit slippy at times)

IMG-20130406-01026.jpg
Sun dappled forest pathway. lovely

This is an easy to follow, constant incline, no real toughy,,keeps the heart pumping and legs working though.
IMG-20130406-01025.jpg
Sunny day and sunny disposition...
Smashing...

Onward and upward, you peel off left and out of the trees on to the long sloping shoulder. Several singular pine trees looked ever so Christmassy against the snow covered North slopes , in fact one tree had tinsel and decorations, has someone had a Christmas climb there?
Stirling-20130406-01041.jpg
Awwww,,how festive....
Stirling-20130406-01042.jpg
Can anyone hear bells?

IMG-20130406-01040.jpg
A snowy north slope and the trig point just in view.

Its less than a km from the tree line up to the trigpoint but climb gets a wee bit steeper and there are a couple of shoulders to clear before getting to the top. With quite a bit of cloud cover now, accompanied by an icy wind on the open top, I dug in and decided not to stop for gloves hat etc, until I was at the trig. I could see 2 people and a dog there already. By the time I got there,,my hands were so cold they were a combination of red raw and blue. Colourful. so, hat on, gloves on, windproof jacket too. jumbo fruit and nut bar scoffed, and a few pics taken.

North Lanarkshire-20130406-01039.jpg
Check out the Jedward do! nice view North too.

IMG-20130406-01029.jpg
Looks like Ben More and Stob Binnein,,,or do you know otherwise?
IMG-20130406-01033.jpg
View south east to Lanarkshire hills

My proposed route was circular,,leaving the summit to the South East and down to the tree line, off to the left to and back along the low ground beside the reservoir. BUT...... down into the trees,,following a wide path of footprints in the snow (as well as the 2 with the dog from earlier) I got to the "drainage ditched crossed with sleepers" WHERE,,tell me,,WHERE ARE THE SLEEPERS??? I saw plenty of evidence of people clambering through 3-4' deep peat and mud BEFORE getting to the drainage ditch of running water. I made several attempts at scrambling under the low trees to either side to avoid the leg-sucking mud, then, erring on the side of caution, (Im on my own and I dont think anyone else will be passing this way today) I decided to head back up to the summit and take my ascent route, back down. Wasn't happy about the decision, a) I had to regain a bit of height and b) I do like a circular route.

Anyway,,back to the top, gloves and hat back on as the wind was pretty relentless here, spent another few mins just enjoying the open air. Then off down the snowy track. Having had my nasty fall on packed ice on Nevis,,I made a mental note not to get too relaxed and kept an eye on my footing. The path down through the trees was pretty slippy too for quite a way, but sticking to the softer patches or the slushy broken up bits, made it a bit easier.

Feeling inspired (and hungry) I broke into a jog for some stretches coming down and got back to my car after 3.5hrs,,quite happy with that considering I'd reclimbed the hill after the mud episode.

Not a big hill, not a hard climb, but one thats easily bypassed in the search for more interesting days out. But for a late start and smashing views, this was a good decision. Loved it. I WILL be back. Home for pizza and wine and an early night,,ROCK N ROLL!
North Lanarkshire-20130406-01038.jpg
Looking North,,fabby

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by GillC on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Meikle Bin and a mickle bit more

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi there GillC, that looks a fine wee walk, plenty of interest en route and some cracking views from the top. On your own with the hill more or less to yourself, great stuff, what could be better. Now for the next one, look forward to your next report :) Wise decision to miss out the boggy stuff as you were on your own, pitty about the extra climb but it probably made the pizza taste better anyway :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby GillC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Hey,,thanks Rodmeister,,,just noticed you have only 1 Munro to go,,,whats your last and when are you planning to 'bag' it? Think I'd need someone to point the way for me to get many more in.....need to get more involved in group walks I think. Best of and thanks for your message. G
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:10 pm

GillC wrote:Hey,,thanks Rodmeister,,,just noticed you have only 1 Munro to go,,,whats your last and when are you planning to 'bag' it? Think I'd need someone to point the way for me to get many more in.....need to get more involved in group walks I think. Best of and thanks for your message. G

Hi GillC, Walkhighlands only show up to 282 as that is the updated listed numbers. I completed on Beinn na Lap in 2009, so at present just enjoy days on any hills. Trying to encourage my Grandson from Nottingham when he comes to visit Grampa to add to his tally and also my Niece and Nephews are also showing an interest so I go out with them also. I am also a member of the Argyll Mountaineering Club and try and get out on their monthly meets. At present nursing either bruised or brocken ribs, had a bit of a tumble off, wait fot it West Lomond of all places, it just goes to show you cannot be too careful, even on the smallest hills when there is ice and snow about. I was impressed with your approach re safety on your report :) Be safe and take care and who knows we might bump into each other some day on the hills. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby GillC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Well done you, good job getting the young ones up the hills too. Took me until my 42nd year to really find my way back to them.
Safety, its a must, been too close to nasty experiences and retrospective brow wiping to take it any other way,,and besides,,my mum worries lol

Cheers :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby AlasdairMcD » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:39 pm

We left the car park at 1030 so would have been back before you set out. Was a great day on Meikle Bin but I was really surprised at the amount of snow on the approach to the summit. Glad you had a good day.
AlasdairMcD
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dtaylor5632 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 pm

Great report:)
A lot better with the views than back in Feb when I slogged up there in snow up to my waist and in the middle of a storm lol :shock:
379265_10151261160450636_1766127012_n.jpg
Bit blowy at the top

537965_10151260801010636_878375344_n.jpg
erm, where's the scenery ??
dtaylor5632
Scrambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby GillC » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:02 am

Haa,,indeed,,dont think id have ventured up there on my own in those conditions Lightweight that I am lol :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby hills » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Well done you, good choice. I like this hill, I reckon on a very clear day it has a shout on being in our top ten viewpoints.... well certainly one of the finest in the central belt...
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby GillC » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Hey thanks,,,dont have any advice on the drainage ditch issue i hit? really annoying,,as I prefer a circular route...was I in the wrong firebreak? lol
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby hills » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 pm

No sorry, I havent been on that side of this hill.
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 am

It's a nightmare down in the tree line and very boggy, don't blame you for turning back. Here's a link that shows the route in a bit more detail for you if you're ever going back............or get in touch with me, I'll come with you:)

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21895

Stuart
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby GillC » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks Stuart, I read your report after my trip actually, I 'think' I took the same route down as you, there were certainly a lot of feet going down the same way in the snow but couldnt see an alternative anywhere when i was regaining ground on the way back up. Hoping to get back up this Sunday with my friend, the snow should have cleared a bit so Im going to keep my eyes peeled for a possible different path.

Cheers again, G :)
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby colingray8 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm

GillC wrote:Thanks Stuart, I read your report after my trip actually, I 'think' I took the same route down as you, there were certainly a lot of feet going down the same way in the snow but couldnt see an alternative anywhere when i was regaining ground on the way back up. Hoping to get back up this Sunday with my friend, the snow should have cleared a bit so Im going to keep my eyes peeled for a possible different path.

Cheers again, G :)

Gill,

As you come off the back of the hill and are approaching the tree line, the muddy fire break is in front of you, (photo 4 on part 2 of Stuart's excellent guide) just to the right of the fire break, someone has cut back some of the branches which allows you to walk down parallel to the path but just inside the trees. This will take you to the drainage ditch which, if I remember correctly is not as bad as it is on the main path. Once over the ditch, head back to the left. This will bring you back to the main route just after the ditch where you would have turned left (East) to follow the main fire break along (roughly photo 6 on Stuart's guide). Follow the fire break East but this is muddy in places and towards the end is completely blocked by windblown trees. (Photo's 7 & 8 ). By nipping in and out of the trees most of the time on the right hand side of the fire break, but never loosing sight of the path, it is possible to miss most of the mud and trees. Keep inside the trees on the right hand side as you get towards the end of the fire break, some of the tree branches have been removed creating a path. This path brings you out of the trees where you descend down to cross over a wee burn before climbing a few meters to join an old forest track at grid reference 673816. (Photo's 9 & 10). From here follow the route as described by Stuart and in your book. I'm sure I have the same one.

This is the wettest and muddiest part of the walk and once your past it it is pretty straight-forward all the way back to the start.

What ever you decide to do, enjoy it. One of my favourite walks. :D :D :D

Thanks,

/Colin. :D
colingray8
Munro compleatist

Munros:125   Corbetts:17
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Certainly a nice area for views and you got a decent day for it :thumbup: A few years back we mountain biked over from Carron Valley but took the more southerly of the two tracks....then had struggle with the bikes through the trees and a firebreak before getting to the southeast of the hill at which point the heavens opened so we gave up and cycled back on the other track :roll: - really must go back some time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland