walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich

Ben Vorlich

Postby delberto » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 28/10/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left Ardvorlich with a party of 5 willing and eager young mountain goats.
The route all the way to the top was firm underfoot and the path was clear and not difficult. Even although it was raining the night before.
At the summit we were in thick mist, but it cleared a bit to give us a glimpse of stuc a chroin and surrounding mountains.
After a quick lunch we made our way down the mountain. I had the privilage of navigating the party onto the wrong path.... :( One of the eager beavers in the group noticed afetr decending a couple of hundred yards.... so we resummited and found the fork in the route back to Ardvorlich.
Couldnt believe how easy it was to make the mistake. Thick fog and novices isnt a great combination.

Had a great day oot. No major mishaps. A word of encouragement to any fellow slightly rotund, big boned, or "i'ts not me, its my glands.." type of folk out there, if me and big Eck can do it, so can you.
Attachments
S5001213.JPG
The George Mallory walking pole monument- near summit.
S5001210.JPG
Big Eck and not so big Del at the summit
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben Vorlich

Postby Raymond » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:16 am

Can't wait to read the next instalment of your hillwalking prowess. :lol:
Raymond
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby delberto » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:00 pm

My hill walking prowess aint to god at the mo... went up ben chonzie yesterday in snow. Got 500 yards from the summit and had to turn back for 2 reasons. I was knackered and i didnt have enough time to get back down in day light. So i decided to play safe and get down before dark.
I have to say that walking in snow really takes it out of you if your not used to it.Especially at the parts where your feet sink 2 foot in the snow.

Right bruv see ya
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:49 am

I would say walking in snow seems to be about 10 times harder than not! It's okay when it's hard frozen though and you can skip along the top of it...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland