walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Ghlo

Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby gman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 20/04/2013

Time taken: 6.15 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1239m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

beinnaghlo actual 20-4-2013.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Thought car park would be busy on a Sat so got there before 8, only one car there at that time :D View from the car park, route turns right through a gate at the trees. Carn Liath ahead:

Further on, path branches to the left at wooden hut:

Gets steep on the hill, 'camera' break looking back down:

Tops were in low cloud, first Munro cairn reached at 9:10 - this is too early, thought watch had broke :lol:

Onwards on the ridge, most of the snow has gone now:

2nd Munro, Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, also in cloud. Clear path cut into ridge:

Back to Carn Liath:

Top of Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain:

Then down to the bealach, Carn nan Gabhar in cloud. Clear patches in the snow on the way up:

Path a bit icy so easier to walk around.

3 cairns at the top, pretty much a level walk between them. Second cairn has a trig point.

Cloud has lifted now so all 3 tops are clear:

View north from summit.

And east:

Back to middle cairn from the summit & possibly Ben Vrackie?

Met a guy on the top who was heading back down over Airgiod Bheinn, this looked a bit craggy on the map so I went back to the bealach instead:

The return path is mainly muddy/boggy all the way back:

So coming down Airgiod Bheinn (on the right) might be a better option, doesn't look too bad:

Rare dry section of path:

Leads back to landrover track, then to the road. Car park a bit busier now :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:16 pm

thanks for posting ..really handy as this is on my radar for nxt week! :D :clap: cheers for info .still undecided about going over Airgiod Bheinn ...? :?
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby ceaser » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 am

another good report gman ,my mate was up there 2 weeks ago and theres been a considerable amount of snow melt since then :D ,always look forward to your reports as your times are almost identical to mine on most hills that we have done ,and it gives me a better idea of actual times when i go to do them ,although i had already done these 3 .....could you have a look at my hill map and pick somewhere ive not done the next time :lol:
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby gman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:32 am

SAVAGEALICE wrote:still undecided about going over Airgiod Bheinn ...? :?

jwramsay's report has some pics of the zig zag path down Airgiod Bheinn, looks like it would be easier to avoid the path and continue down the ridge. All roads lead to bog eventually though :lol:

ceaser wrote: .....could you have a look at my hill map and pick somewhere ive not done the next time :lol:

Haha, will do my best!
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am

Airgoid Bheinn is fine: however, I would recommend going up that way and doing the main ridge E to W. This has the advantage of getting the boggy trudge out of the way at the start of the day, and the Carn Liath path is much less soul-destroying in descent.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jonny616 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Nice one. The walk out is a ball ache. If/when i do this again i will go back over the Munros, the additional ascent will be a treat compared to what is in my opinion the worst walkout ever volume 1,999,999 :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Pity about the clag but having some snow around seems to accentuate the switchback curves of the ridge - as with jonny, that's one walkout I won't forget - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Martyn83 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Did these three with my friend RyanfaeScotland earlier today, though we decided to tackle the circuit in reverse.

Cracking day out :)
Martyn83
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Rockhopper was that you in the red coat??! :)
SAVAGEALICE

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm

[quote][/quote]
by jonny616 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Nice one. The walk out is a ball ache. If/when i do this again i will go back over the Munros, the additional ascent will be a treat compared to what is in my opinion the worst walkout ever volume 1,999,999

johnny you drama queen ..it was ni that bad!! :) :wink:
SAVAGEALICE

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 am

jmarkb wrote:Airgoid Bheinn is fine: however, I would recommend going up that way and doing the main ridge E to W. This has the advantage of getting the boggy trudge out of the way at the start of the day, and the Carn Liath path is much less soul-destroying in descent.

Went with this advice but Carn Liath's descent was murderous on the calf muscles after the long walk round and felt a bit precarious as the legs were a little unsteady from a long days walking. Think this path is going to hurt no matter which way you go!

Also been a fair bit more snow since gman was up it, still manageable though. :)
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland