walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

buachaille etive beag

buachaille etive beag

Postby d gwynn » Wed May 01, 2013 10:51 am

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 13/04/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

started out at 0700 hrs in a taxi to get me to the start point, in my rucksack for the first time were crampons and ice ax the weather was still but a layer of cloud was at approx 2500 ft covering the tops!
from the side of etive beag 13-04-2013 08-23-37.jpg
The walk up mam buidhe to the col on etive beag is not to much of a slog and the veiws over to the mamores and the grey corries get better as you get higher.At the col I turned left and went up stob coire raineach this is quite a rock strewn top and there was litlle snow on the route up to the top
stob coire raineach summit 13-04-2013 09-30-00 crop.jpg
summit of stob coire raineach
The wind had got up a little now, as promised, so no hanging about and off to bag stob dubh stopping to get this pic on route of the col and the northern end of the stob dubh ridge
looking across to stob dubh 13-04-2013 09-37-13.jpg
Once on the upward slope it was time to don the crampons and break out the ice ax the snow was wet and the avalanche forcast for that day was not a good one, so for a time on this slope I was well out of my comfort zone worring about man triggered avalanche but on getting to the ridge top all was well and the cramponed walk to the summit along the ridge and back was a real joy. :D
ridge up to stob dubh summit 13-04-2013 10-35-45.JPG
I then managed to glissade down the south east side of etive beag to go and do etive mor but half way up and after a spot of lunch the snow in coire altruim was very wet and hard going and with the threat of high winds later in the day andi thought prudance was best option so i left it for another day, it took the shine off the walk but at least i am still here and not under a load of snow!!!!
looking up coire altruim 13-04-2013 12-25-17.JPG
dinner in coire altuim
From here it was just a slog back to the SYHA all the way down the a82 following the old road at times the veiws are great but the mad buggers in cars ect think they are at a grand prix!
DSC_0015.JPG
looking down glen coe aonach eagach ridge on the right, NW end of buachaille etive beag on the left
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

d gwynn
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:200   

Re: buachaille etive beag

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm

You must have felt fear and excitement about using the ice axe and crampons.

Glad you enjoyed the experience though and a good call to leave etive mor for another day.

CMD and Nevis is a great route for winter :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland