walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich - great tonic for the hillwalking blues

Ben Donich - great tonic for the hillwalking blues

Postby PeteR » Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 02/05/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It’s all a bit sad and pathetic really, but for reasons that I won’t go into (MrsR and I had had words :crazy: :oops:) I was on a self- imposed exile from the hills. While the actual cause of the exile had been easily resolved, and despite MrsR’s protestations I should go a wee walk, my desire to get back out on the hills had been somewhat lacking since :? So much so that I had even packed all my walking gear away :(

In the end though the self- imposed exile lasted for all of a fortnight :lol: :lol: :lol: (I’ve been kept off the hills longer by foul weather :shock:). My last outing had been an aborted attempt at Ben Donich, where I had turned back due to the lack of visibility, path disappearing in the snow and the weather deteriorating on the day. So it seemed fitting that I made a return to Donich to mark my return to the hills :D

Initially I wasn’t oozing enthusiasm, but after a bit of fannying around at home, using the forecast as another excuse I eventually left the house around mid-day, which is unheard of for me. Didn’t start walking until 1.15, which must be my latest start ever. As it was the route would be completed in 3.5 hours, and would have been considerably quicker had I had my a**e in gear on the way up :crazy:

Photos are a combination of both visits, giving a contrast in the conditions both days. All-in-all this is an easy walk and even the scramble, which looked dodgy the first time round in the snow and clag, was a doddle. So much so I may have persuaded MrsR to give the hill a go during the spring bank holiday weekend at the end of the month :D
DSCF7212.JPG
Start of the walk second time around

DSCF7198.JPG
"Donich Gate"

DSCF7219.JPG
Loch Restil and Stob Coire Creagach

DSCF7221.JPG
The path up the hill, a bif boggy in other places along the way

DSCF7201.JPG
A bit snowy on the way up first time round

DSCF7207.JPG
Snow clad on the first attempt

DSCF7239.JPG
A bit of clag as I made my way up

Weather-wise second time round thick clag had been replaced by enthusiastic wind and clag higher up. The snow had gone, and so the path was easy to follow. I was surprised how little I recognised from my first clag filled trip just two weeks earlier :shock:

It was straightforward up to the short downward scramble, where the boulder section looked interesting. Had a little “explore” on the return :wink:
DSCF7246.JPG
Approaching the most entertaining part of the route

DSCF7211.JPG
Time to stop on the first attempt

DSCF7250.JPG
Second time around - the view down the scramble

DSCF7255.JPG
View back up the scramble

DSCF7263.JPG
One of the rock features near the scramble

DSCF7264.JPG
View back to the rocks and scramble on the way to the summit

From there it was a simple walk to the summit, where I was able to enjoy extensive views of……clag :crazy: To be fair the cloud did part for all of 30 seconds at one point. Just long enough to capture the next bank of cloud fleeing across in front of what little view I did have :lol:
DSCF7275.JPG
Almost at the summit

DSCF7280.JPG
Summit trig

DSCF7289.jpg
My summit "view"

Standing at the summit, face into the wind, in the vain hope I might get a view, for a brief few minutes I stood there taking a good pounding as the wind hit me hard, but I was absolutely loving it :D :D Here’s a short video of that experience.

With no expectation of views opening up I was eventually on my way back down, enjoying a delightful horizontal April snow shower :? Toward the bottom this was then replaced by a brief break in the clouds, giving a great view back up to the summit of Donich, as we as to the surrounding area :D :D I could also see the dark clouds gathering for the next instalment of weather :lol:
DSCF7299.jpg
Back at the scramble

DSCF7320.jpg
Finally, the cloud starts to break

DSCF7329.jpg
Loch Restil again

DSCF7341.jpg
Toward the main Arrochar "Alps"

DSCF7342.jpg
Darker clouds gathering in the west

DSCF7345.jpg
"Water damage" on the lens.....well, it was a tad damp at times :-)

DSCF7350.jpg
View back to Ben Donich summit

DSCF7355.jpg
View west toward the Fyne area

DSCF7361.jpg
View of Restil through the trees

Then it was a just short walk back to the car. All in all Ben Donich gave a good short walk, and was just the therapy I needed :thumbup: :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Ben Donich - great tonic for the hillwalking blues

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu May 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Ben Donich is a braw wee hill, one of the first I've done. The wee scramble looks nasty from your first visit :shock: Mrs R will love it if she goes 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Graeme D » Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 pm

PeteR wrote:It’s all a bit sad and pathetic really, but for reasons that I won’t go into (MrsR and I had had words ) I was on a self- imposed exile from the hills. While the actual cause of the exile had been easily resolved, and despite MrsR’s protestations I should go a wee walk, my desire to get back out on the hills had been somewhat lacking since

Aha, that old routine!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Been there more than once!

A nice hill that I have had my eye on for a long time but never got there yet! :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Fudgie » Fri May 03, 2013 9:43 am

One of the few hills I need to return to on a clag free day :lol: I got caught out a wee bit at the scrambly section with ice assisting my descent :shock: Definitely waiting for better weather to go back to it 8)
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Collaciotach » Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 am

Grand report and even better therapy :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Have also had a long layoff, Pete, so you have my sympathies - good way to get back out though despite the late start - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby PeteR » Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Ben Donich is a braw wee hill, one of the first I've done. The wee scramble looks nasty from your first visit :shock: Mrs R will love it if she goes 8)

Thanks lomondwalkers. I think MrsR will love this hill until she gets to the scramble :lol: Then I may have a challenge :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Graeme D wrote:
PeteR wrote:It’s all a bit sad and pathetic really, but for reasons that I won’t go into (MrsR and I had had words ) I was on a self- imposed exile from the hills. While the actual cause of the exile had been easily resolved, and despite MrsR’s protestations I should go a wee walk, my desire to get back out on the hills had been somewhat lacking since

Aha, that old routine!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Been there more than once!

A nice hill that I have had my eye on for a long time but never got there yet! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure there's a few of us been there a few times Graeme.

Donich's a good little hill. Provides a perfect short walk. Definitely one to consider :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Fudgie wrote:I got caught out a wee bit at the scrambly section with ice assisting my descent :shock:

That was my concern first time round Fudgie :shock: Glad I turned round a returned once the snow was all gone :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Grand report and even better therapy :clap:

Thanks Colla. It was more misty therapy on my latest walk :lol: Added bog in too :lol: Just need to write something up now
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Tue May 07, 2013 10:23 pm

rockhopper wrote:Have also had a long layoff, Pete, so you have my sympathies - good way to get back out though despite the late start - cheers :)

Thanks RH. These lay offs are not good :( If your Mullardoch trip comes off though you certainly trump me on the "re-introduction to the hills" stakes :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Good wee hill.
There must be something in the air - I got into trouble for NOT going on the hill last night. :crazy:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland