walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Donalds from Glendevon Church

Two Donalds from Glendevon Church

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 05, 2013 8:33 am

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie, Tarmangie Hill

Date walked: 04/05/2013

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 12.84 km

Ascent: 501m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had thought about parking adjacent to Borland Farm near the bridge but there was a sign NO PARKING, so I headed buck up the road A823 and parked at the Glendevon Church/Churchyard, a sign on the road to Church. I had looked at these hills earlier when coming off Steele's Knowe and decided to head on up from the bridge at Borland Farm.
10.JPG
Car parked at Glendevon church
11.JPG
From the access road turn right and walk a short distance down the A823 until you come to the bridge over the River Devon
12.JPG
Pass through a couple of gates and walk up the North East shoulder of Innerdownie, within half an hour climbing without a path you reach the main path coming from the car park adjacent to Auchlinsky Hill. The way I came up with Steele's Knowe in background
13.JPG
Signage re path to Innerdownie
14.JPG
Just follow the path to the summit
15.JPG
Steele's Knowe
16.JPG
Keep on up the path with a stone dyke on your right
17.JPG
Summit cairn in sight. Wonderful walking so far making good time and really enjoying the openness of it all, no others about as yet
18.JPG
Glenquey Reservoir from the summit
19.JPG
Summit view towards Tarmangie Hill, it looks a long way, will I? you bet I will, am really enjoying myself now, good underfoot conditions although wet in places, but so what it's only the back of 10.15am, lets prolong the enjoyment. I have nearly forgotten about the cancelled trip to Knoydart because of the weather, and here I am here walking in the Ochils for the very first time, and if I manageTaramangie Hill I can maybe include Blairdenon Hill with the othe Ochill Donalds.
20.JPG
Follow the path on the left of the wall until the low section where you find an access gate in the deer fence next to the wall, pass through the gate keeping the small tree plantation on your right. Snow still here in May
21.JPG
Follow the wall on your right and cross over it at a newly constructed access gate, no need to go through the gate, and keep the stone dyke and new fence line on your left all the way to the summit. Because of the continual downpor the previous day there are many wet and boggy sections but in the height of Summer tis would be perfect walking conditions
22.JPG
Summit cairn of Tarmangie Hill, I now headed back the same way
23.JPG
The first sign of others on the hill, near the point I head on down off path to Glendevon Church
24.JPG
Glendevon Church, where I found a spot near the river to have my cuppa and piece. Must come back to the Ochils soon

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Two Donalds from Glendevon Church

Postby alvason » Sun May 05, 2013 2:31 pm

I'm following you with interest, Rod!
alvason
Ambler

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 05, 2013 3:56 pm

alvason wrote:I'm following you with interest, Rod!

Hi there Adam, getting nearer to Alva, will and try and get some good photos for you! :D I really enjoyed these two hills.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi Rod

A busy day!!

I did my 1st couple of hills in the Ochils a couple of months ago and like you really enjoyed them.

Finishing in Perth at 3.30 every thursday it probably makes sense to do some more exploring on thursday nights after work.

Hope you are well.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

A busy day!!

I did my 1st couple of hills in the Ochils a couple of months ago and like you really enjoyed them.

Finishing in Perth at 3.30 every thursday it probably makes sense to do some more exploring on thursday nights after work.

Hope you are well.

Hi Gordie, I'm well thanks, how's your training getting along, feet standing up ok? not long to go now. Ochils, excellent walking, just read your Ben Cleuch report, that sounds a good way, away from the hoards of folk, although if your up early enough you miss em :lol: I think I'm going to have to invest in a new pair of boots as well, just checked out the soles, nae much grip at all, guess that's why I had my wee tumble :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:

A busy day!!

Hope you are well.

Hi Gordie, I'm well thanks, how's your training getting along, feet standing up ok? not long to go now. Ochils, excellent walking, just read your Ben Cleuch report, that sounds a good way, away from the hoards of folk, although if your up early enough you miss em :lol: I think I'm going to have to invest in a new pair of boots as well, just checked out the soles, nae much grip at all, guess that's why I had my wee tumble :(

Disaster struck last friday in the form of an XXL blister on the ball of my right foot. I completed my usual walk on the friday and quit after 11 miles on the saturday :( :( :(

This weekend it's 4 days of painting and gardening to give the foot a chance to heal and now I have to decide whether to go with the old boots (that have given me the problem) or risk approach shoes I've only worn 3-4 times.............decisions,decisions :? :? :?

I really enjoyed the Ben Cleuch day even with the tarmac start and finish but I need to head back soon as I missed the views due to a hazy view over the Forth - looking to do Tarmangie and Whitewisp next from Glen Devon.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:

A busy day!!

Hope you are well.

Disaster struck last friday in the form of an XXL blister on the ball of my right foot. I completed my usual walk on the friday and quit after 11 miles on the saturday :( :( :(

This weekend it's 4 days of painting and gardening to give the foot a chance to heal and now I have to decide whether to go with the old boots (that have given me the problem) or risk approach shoes I've only worn 3-4 times.............decisions,decisions :? :? :?

I really enjoyed the Ben Cleuch day even with the tarmac start and finish but I need to head back soon as I missed the views due to a hazy view over the Forth - looking to do Tarmangie and Whitewisp next from Glen Devon.

That's not good news! bit of a nightmare, as you say decision time. Which raises the question, how do you harden the soles of your feet, maybe put a post on WH and ask the question, and see what answers come in, no doubt some funny ones. Good luck anyway, by the way I got to quite enjoy the painting after a while, at least it kept my mind occupied and off the injury, yours Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby naepace » Mon May 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Nice report Rod. I think the Ochils are great. If that is your first 2 you have lots of nice hills still to climb ahead of you.
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon May 06, 2013 2:55 pm

naepace wrote:Nice report Rod. I think the Ochils are great. If that is your first 2 you have lots of nice hills still to climb ahead of you.

Thanks naepace, I'm raring to go back, and soon, yep there nearer to you than me, but really enjoyed my day up there. Fantastic :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland