walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on Scafell!!

Sunshine on Scafell!!

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Date walked: 20/04/2013

Time taken: 6

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Chasing the weather time again...

An assault on England's highest peak was the order of the day due to Scotland being cold, wet & windy....I'll never complete the Munros at this rate :shock: :lol:

Left Glasgow 7am and walking by 10am.

Did the corridor route which turned out to be a pleasant stroll with no real difficulties. The walk back via Esk Hause was lovely, the lakes are very nice indeed.

Only downside was the amount of people present and some not suitably dressed...just like the tourist route up Nevis. But at least the folk were out walking...

Photos of our day.

The lakes make a nice alternative to the rugged barren landscapes of Scotland and should be visited at least once per year, and only a couple of hours from Glasgow.

Liked the look of Blencathra via Sharps edge and have this in mind when another opportunity arises.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Sunshine on Scafell!!

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Some nice pictures DB, shame about all the people but you cant avoid them on the Pike just like Nevis as you say.

Scafell is much grander mountain in my opinion than Scafell Pike with no where near as many walkers around in fact you will have a good chance of the summit to yourself.

The assent via Lords Rake from Hollowstones is worthy of a visit next time your down our way

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Nice to see you back in the Lake District, DB. Some great pictures there, which really capture the views from that route well. I was on the much less busy Wainwright, Haycock, that day with a great view of the Scafells, sorry I couldn't recognise you from that distance. You certainly picked the right time regarding the weather, I got a good soaking on some nearby hills the next day.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Glad you had good weather on your visit south of the border again, Paul!
Loved the photos :thumbup: Pity about all the tourists :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Glad you had good weather on your visit south of the border again, Paul!
Loved the photos :thumbup: Pity about all the tourists :lol:
Cheers Susie. Yeah the tourists - enough said :lol:

simon-b wrote:Nice to see you back in the Lake District, DB. Some great pictures there, which really capture the views from that route well. I was on the much less busy Wainwright, Haycock, that day with a great view of the Scafells, sorry I couldn't recognise you from that distance. You certainly picked the right time regarding the weather, I got a good soaking on some nearby hills the next day.
Yeah the weather window was for one day only so took the opportunity. I will venture down this way again.

L-Hiking wrote:Some nice pictures DB, shame about all the people but you cant avoid them on the Pike just like Nevis as you say.

Scafell is much grander mountain in my opinion than Scafell Pike with no where near as many walkers around in fact you will have a good chance of the summit to yourself.

The assent via Lords Rake from Hollowstones is worthy of a visit next time your down our way

Cheers
Had planned to do that route but with soooo many folk around i was desperate to get back down again and away from the mayhem. Nice walk though and one for winter.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby DaveB1 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:05 am

Nice to see you in the Lakes DB. Great photos. Shame about the people, but '3 peaks' season approaches and the Pike is a good place to avoid. I agree with L_hiking, Scafell via Lord's Rake much more fun and much quieter, but if you want real peace and quiet, try the fells on the other side of Wasdale, Middle Fell & Seatallan. Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland