walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A nice couple in the cairn gorms

A nice couple in the cairn gorms

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu May 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 28/04/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

55 miles after setting sail I parked in the car park just before Auchlean farm. I cycled along the road then track to large gate at woods near Achleum. It was pretty boggy so I dumped the bike and strode along edge of forest over peaty hag direct to Meall nan Sleac ridge.
Carngorm2013 001.JPG
Toward Meall nan Sleac

Carngorm2013 003.JPG
Up Coire Garbhlach

A wee steep climb required to reach summit cairn at 800m. I continued along easy track that converged with main motorway leading up to summit ridge.
Carngorm2013 012.JPG
Motorway

Some mini blizzard conditions were waiting in clouds to restrict visibility, but hey it is winter/spring. After about 1km meandering on ridge the summit cairn was touched at 0945.
Carngorm2013 016.JPG
Summit of Mullach Clach a Bhlair 1019m

I continued back along track to main junction to ramble 3km over plateau toward Carn Ban Mor summit 1040.
Carngorm2013 022.JPG
cairn on Carn Ban Mor 1052

Carngorm2013 021.JPG
Bit of spindrift and poor visibility along ridge
Some poor visibility

Soft snow and poor visibility hindered progress and navigation with the compass and map. I personally do not believe in the growing trend of reliance on GPS or other sat nav. systems, we might as well ask for signposts to be put on the motorway routes with countdown markers for key junctions. Anyway, I hovered around the summit cairn at 1052 for a long time using my abacus to work out timings etc. Even had time to wonder why this was not a Munro on its own right.
Weather was getting worse and I could not see very far, even with the trendy new goggles. I decided to do some radial checks to find a back-up landmark. I sourced the main stalkers path, sound a true bearing, then off with renewed determination toward Sgorr Gaoith.
Carngorm2013 026.JPG
Approaching SG summit

A wee rise to the summit keeping well back from the edge of the cliffs the cairn was touched. 1320.
The cairn was perched close to the edge of a sheer drop down into Coire na Caillich so there was no point in standing too close to the corniced edges.
Carngorm2013 065.JPG
Another two walkers approaching summit of SG

Carngorm2013 099.JPG
Ridge to North Tops and Heavy Cornices

Carngorm2013 095.JPG
Summit cairn looking south

Conditions eased on summit and the visibility improved just as a couple of walkers from Gourock appeared.
Carngorm2013 075.JPG
Lady from Gourock

Carngorm2013 094.JPG
Man from Gourock

Carngorm2013 092.JPG
down to Loch Einich

Carngorm2013 089.JPG
Back south across walk

They had just walked up from the glen and were completing SG on a shorter circular route. We had a chat and took some photos before heading off in opposite directions.
Carngorm2013 101.JPG
Southeast

Carngorm2013 102.JPG
South

Carngorm2013 103.JPG
SE

Carngorm2013 112.JPG
Braeriach

Carngorm2013 113.JPG
The Gourock Couple on Summit of SG

I contoured round CBM and followed the main road (coincidentally a great job being carried out by the path conservation gangs) back down to the bike before a short ride back to the car at 1530.
Attachments
Carngorm2013 093.JPG
Across to north tops and some cornicing
Carngorm2013 076.JPG
A wee peak over the edge
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: A nice couple in the cairn gorms

Postby gordon l » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:13 pm

I am the man from Gourock; was good to bump into you on the summit (almost literally given the cloud conditions). It was great to get a wee peak at the other peaks on the summit. Golf is rubbish; don't let it spoil a good walk :D
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Re: A nice couple in the cairn gorms

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:49 pm

gordon l wrote:I am the man from Gourock; was good to bump into you on the summit (almost literally given the cloud conditions). It was great to get a wee peak at the other peaks on the summit. Golf is rubbish; don't let it spoil a good walk :D

Nice one. Good to meet you and your girlfriend, hope your return journey was sound.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland