walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stac Pollaidh under nice sunshine

Stac Pollaidh under nice sunshine

Postby Premlal » Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 11/05/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 613m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:wave:

As I promised myself after doing Suilven, I did Stac Pollaidh last Tuesday. The plan was originally to to do it the day before which was much less shiny as can be seen below:

DSC_9069.JPG
Monday: Too many clouds

DSC_9289.JPG
Tuesday: That's more like it!

I won't talk too much about the walk which you can already find in other reports moreover, pictures are worth a thousand words!

DSC_9290.JPG
The start, just on the other side of the car park

DSC_9295.JPG
Scaring off deers!

DSC_9298.JPG
Cul Beag

DSC_9299.JPG

DSC_9302.JPG
Suilven starting to show

DSC_9306.JPG
Suilven with a skirt of clouds

DSC_9312.JPG
Where I'm coming from

The first cairn is reached fairly easily however, given the conditions it would have been a shame not to try the true summit. So I decided to give it a go. However, I thought the "famous rock blocking the summit" would be easier to find, basically I though it could be seen from the first cairn. I was wrong so this meant some wandering around to find the route. This was very entertaining, Stac Pollaidh kind of brought me back to my childhood when I was trying to climb everything I could find only in a much bigger scale, a grown up's playground basically!

DSC_9319.JPG
The true summit in view

DSC_9320.JPG
View to the south

DSC_9325.JPG
View to the east

DSC_9350.JPG
View to the north

DSC_9352.JPG
Some of the pinnacles up there

DSC_9355.JPG

Untitled_Panorama4.jpg
Panorama to the south

Untitled_Panorama3.jpg
Panorama to the north

In the end I was very pleased of doing the true summit as this is pretty nice in such weather and could say yes when people later asked me if I went to the true summit :-D .I've done a little bit of filming with my GoPro and will try to put together a video showing a way to the true summit.

Cheers
Premlal
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Stac Pollaidh under nice sunshine

Postby blueyed » Sun May 12, 2013 4:03 pm

amazing!
on the day do walked stac Poddaidh i was just climbing the far neighbour- suilven! brilliant day it was!
yeah previous day wasnt that great so instead of trying the big boy, i drove to old man of stoer, with plan of tackling suilven the next day, tuesday. so you were on stac pollaidh on tuesday and i followed your footsteps - climbed it on wednesday! :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby denfinella » Sun May 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Love your second photo. Can't wait to do this one... thanks for sharing!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 12, 2013 6:25 pm

It was blowing a hoolie when we were up and we chickened out of going to the top - so nice to see what we missed! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Premlal » Sun May 12, 2013 11:11 pm

blueyed wrote:amazing!
on the day do walked stac Poddaidh i was just climbing the far neighbour- suilven! brilliant day it was!
yeah previous day wasnt that great so instead of trying the big boy, i drove to old man of stoer, with plan of tackling suilven the next day, tuesday. so you were on stac pollaidh on tuesday and i followed your footsteps - climbed it on wednesday! :)

II hope we will get a report for Suilven and Stac Pollaidh? I did Stac Pollaidh in the morning and the Old Man in the afternoon so I should be sharing some pics soon.

dogplodder wrote:It was blowing a hoolie when we were up and we chickened out of going to the top - so nice to see what we missed! :wink:

If it had been blowy I guess I would have chickened too! The way on the right is pretty quick when its done but the drops strangely make it feel longer when you're hanging. The way back (on the left) felt much easier.
Premlal
Mountain Walker

Postby blueyed » Mon May 13, 2013 10:03 pm

yeah, i will share reports from suilven and stac polly soon, was going to write them today but ... fell asleep lol so will do tomorrow
unfortunately when i was on stac polly it was blowy like hell (excuse my french) and i actually struggled to stay on my feet on the ridge. did explore it a little bit but didnt tempt the fate and did not try climbing the very summit. regret it a lot, but conditions were too much for me :crazy:
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby HighlandSC » Wed May 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Stunning :)
On my trip up there a couple years ago it was like your Monday pic. We had fun on the ridge but were in cloud, pishing rain and wind, so despite giving the summit scramble a good look we opted not to.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Premlal » Wed May 15, 2013 9:58 pm

As promised, the video of my walk up Stac Pollaidh and from 2:10 the path I followed to the summit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj66ljoQly0
Premlal
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland