walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fan Nedd & Fan Gyhirych

Fan Nedd & Fan Gyhirych

Postby garyhortop » Mon May 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Date walked: 27/04/2013

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11.7 km

Ascent: 573m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well it has been a while since posting anything or doing any walking so this was a real and refreshing change!! Sadly work has kept me away from the hills and the Willywalker and I had originally planned to head up to the lakes on this weekend but couldn't really stretch the time off. So instead I went across to what turned turned out to be a very sunny Wales and WW planned this trip as "somewhere a bit different and away from Pen y Fan"!!

We were also joined by another friend of our's Martin who was having his first wander in the hills for some time and so we headed off looking forward to getting out somewhere a bit different!!

You start this walk just north of Ystradfellte and we managed to squeeze in between 2 Army landies and the whole walk was pretty much spread out before us!
030.JPG
The Walk Ahead!

031.JPG
The Three Amigo's! (or Muppets perhaps?)

It's a steady climb as you head up the fairly obvious path towards Fan Nedd and once you get there you realise the cairn that you can see isn't really the summit but simply a marker one the way to the summit.
035.JPG
Martin at the Cairn

As WW was a bit out of shape we waited there a short while admiring the view across towards Pen-y-Fan and the surrounding countryside.
037.JPG
Is that WW or Ivor the Engine?

A stunning day with superb visibility all around!
034.JPG
Towards Fan Gyhirych

036.JPG
Pen Y Fan Peeking over the top!

From Fan Nedd you head down the other side into the valley and towards an obvious track running along the bottom of the valley. Following this you then simply look for a spot to veer off and head up the side of the escaprment toward the summit of Fan Gyhirych (Don't ask me to pronounce this - I was with 2 welshmen and neither one of them could agree on the correct pronounciation!).
040.JPG
Fan Gyhirych

043.JPG
Summit Fan Gyhirych

Once on the summit we had the well earned break for butties, coffee, choccy and anything else we could lay our hands on!

044.JPG
Chris and Martin on the Cairn near the summit - feeding their faces!

It was then simply a question of about turn - well nearly - we followed the edge of the escarpment along and back the way we came. We decided on a slight detour on the way back. Rather than go back over Fan Nedd we followed the wall around the face of the escarpment and back to the car.....and a stop off at the New Inn in Ystradfellte for a well earned cold one!! (I can strongly recommend the welsh cider!)

All in all a superb walk and frankly a lot more enjoyable then the usual Beacons wander with the crowds around Pen Y Fan!!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Fan Nedd & Fan Gyhirych

Postby willywalker247 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Nice report Gary. A good day had by all. Ivor the engine was pushing me up the hill :D :D
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri May 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Great to see you out walking again, Gary, and enjoyed your report :D
Looks like you had a good day with lovely weather :thumbup:
garyhortop wrote:I can strongly recommend the welsh cider!)

Originating from Somerset, I have to disagree :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 10, 2013 3:55 pm

garyhortop wrote: I was with 2 welshmen and neither one of them could agree on the correct pronounciation!
:lol:

Great to see you out in the hills Gary, I've been exiled myself of late down to the missus doing her masters at weekends. Finished for the summer now so just waiting on some decent weather.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby garyhortop » Sun May 12, 2013 4:34 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great to see you out walking again, Gary, and enjoyed your report :D
Looks like you had a good day with lovely weather :thumbup:
garyhortop wrote:I can strongly recommend the welsh cider!)

Originating from Somerset, I have to disagree :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Susie, It was great to be back out again!! As I am currently spending what seems all of mu life in Bridgwater at the moment and I am also getting used to the Somerset Cider too!!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Sun May 12, 2013 4:37 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
garyhortop wrote: I was with 2 welshmen and neither one of them could agree on the correct pronounciation!
:lol:

Great to see you out in the hills Gary, I've been exiled myself of late down to the missus doing her masters at weekends. Finished for the summer now so just waiting on some decent weather.

Thanks JK - It's good to be out there again and Chris (WW) really looked after us by sorting out a really nice walk!! I have been exiled with work...so gotta take it when its offered although the daily round trip of 110 miles is starting to wear a bit thin now!! Hoping to get out on Dartmoor this coming weekend too!! :D :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland