walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glencoe Well named!

Glencoe Well named!

Postby coachmacca » Mon May 13, 2013 11:15 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 12/05/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So my understanding is that Glencoe means Glen of the weeping, or Glen of tears... while this name may hark back to some time in history that I wont drag up yesterday its name rang very true as the heaven wept, and wept and wept some more all day for our double to on the Wee Shepherd,

Munro's 14 & 15 for me and Mrs Macca and I had been up for hitting Glencoe for ages with the Big Shepherd and Am Bodach etc firmly on the radar for the next few months!

Anyway, I'll keep it short (for once I hear you cry!)

IMG_5104.JPG
The wee shepherd (before CLAG!)

Up at a very early for us 5.30, out the door for 6.30 and up to the 'Coe for the car park at the Cairn in good time, only 4 other cars.

Rain was steady but light so we decided just to get the waterprooof's on from the outset - thank goodness. (taking my Berghaus Packlights back btw as the zips failed after a bout 2 hours , first catching on the storm flap then falling apart totally!)

Followed the great track, views to the 3 sisters (added to the soon to do list) up to the beallach and after meeting 2 lads coming down off Stob Core Raineach (RAIN!) we set of up to summit 1.

Rocky going but easy enough we made a quick ascent - stopping for a wee coffee on the way up to take in the view - of Clag -

Lunch.jpg
Romantic Lunch with Mrs macca

occasionally it parted to show us the main body of Stob Dubh but obviously not its summit or ridge... Reached the summit cairn then headed further NE to the outlying rocks for a look at the Clag - lovely this time of year :lol:
IMG_5076.JPG
Stob Coire Raineach Summit

Quick snaps and then -- compass out - where the path?.. clag bound and rocks everywhere I thought it best to stop and make sure before blundering around... Bearing sorted we headed down the steep scree, veered slightly to the east but found out way down quickly.

IMG_5068.JPG
Rocky Road (not the tasty kind)

Back down and time to head up Stob Dubh.. still no view to speak of :( we started up the flank and again found a wee sheltered spot for rolls and a coffee.

10 mins later up and away again.. up the not too steep path we soon met snow and cut diagonally up and across starting to gte a sense of the ridge shape of the Munro.
IMG_5079.JPG
Snowy traverse heading up Stob Dubh

Once up we made our way along the top, along the ridge (not too narrow at all but making it an interesting summit) we passed the first cairn (with the little toy soldier/action figure on it) and on to climb the final rise , to the summit cairn with its very pointy top stone!

IMG_5087.JPG
Stob Dubh Ridge

IMG_5091.JPG
Stob Dubh Summit Cairn

We carried on a bit for the fun of it but lack of view , driving rain and us being very wet meant we didn't hang about too long before heading back down

IMG_5086.JPG
Heading off the ridge

lastly down the path for home with great views across to A'Chailleach and Am Bodach

IMG_5097.JPG
Views back down

Back in Glasgow nice and early for a curry :D

Good day, great mountain just shame about the "tears from heaven! :wink:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Glencoe Well named!

Postby Fudgie » Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 pm

I got the exact same views on this one as yourself although thankfully it didn't rain as much. I didn't hang about as I couldn't see anything so I got round the two in about 3hrs 15. Another one for the "return to on a clear day" list.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby coachmacca » Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Fudgie wrote:I got the exact same views on this one as yourself although thankfully it didn't rain as much. I didn't hang about as I couldn't see anything so I got round the two in about 3hrs 15. Another one for the "return to on a clear day" list.

3hrs 15 is good going but we do love a faff and coffee, lunch, photies.. more faffing.. :wink:

Right now we are trying to work out how we can get a table and chairs light enough for dining at the summit :lol:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 pm

well done getting another 2 in the bag, pity about the rain, seems to be in fashion at the moment !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon May 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Nice one - glad to hear I wasn't the only one soaked this weekend!
wilkiemurray

Postby Luke88 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey pal, great time well done!

Cant believe how rocky that first summit is, the snow there three weeks ago was deeper than any of that! Same with the ridge! Good effort though, well done
Luke88
Mountain Walker

Munros:89   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:4   

Postby coachmacca » Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:Nice one - glad to hear I wasn't the only one soaked this weekend!

Hopefully we will be seeing the last of it soon! :(
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Wed May 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Luke88 wrote:Hey pal, great time well done!

Cant believe how rocky that first summit is, the snow there three weeks ago was deeper than any of that! Same with the ridge! Good effort though, well done

Yeah the NE summit was cool , like a bit of jagged rocks :D

Tbh I was glad it wasnt much deper, wouldnt be too keen trying to work out if I was on ridge or cornice lol :lol:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland