walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn It! Tomsie's Gone And Lost His Pole!

Geal Charn It! Tomsie's Gone And Lost His Pole!

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Route description: Geal Chàrn, Monadhliath

Munros included on this walk: Geal Chàrn (Monadhliath)

Date walked: 12/05/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 625m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well having been disappointed at not making the Munro Meaderers first Unofficial Big Weekend Out, I gave Tomsie and shout and we settled on a nice easy alternative on the Monadhliath, as that finished that area off for him and was also my first on that side of the A86.

We met up with impecible timing at Garva Bridge and were out walking in decent weather about 9.30am. The route initially crosses over the ancient bridge built by General Wade's lackies, then immediately turns right just past the big Cairngorms National Park stone.

Up ahead the countryside is being crushed beneath the awesome power of man, as the every increasing demand for electricity is serviced by the building of the new Beuly to Denny powerline. One benefit of this however, is the shiny new bridge leading back across the Allt Coire Iain Oig. The bridge even has a wee walk way underneath it for wildlife and sheep!

Staying close to the burn on it's right bank, we followed a muddy path along until the stream split. Here we remained on the right bank and began the plod uphill.

Not long after, we crossed the allt and assaulted Geal Charn.

After crossing the burn, the path disappears, but it's obvious where to go... just keep plodding up the big rounded thing in front of you!!

The views aren't spectacular either until some height is gained, when you can see over to the other Geal Charn beside Creag Pitridh and Beinn a'Chlachair and the out lying foothills of the Creag Meagaidh range.

All too soon though, the steady slope eases off and the summit plateau is gained, with featureless views into the Monadhliath.

For such an easy hill, it has one almighty cairn.

We didn't quite return by the same route, we took a bearing for the neighbouring hill, Beinn Sgiath, and went over the see the wee hanging valley between Geal Charn and Sgiath, but even this wasn't amazing. But as we walked over to Beinn Sgiath, Tomsie dropped his pole. A golden coloured pole on this landscape was like looking for a needle in a haystack, but we got it back!

From the hanging valley, it was a 180 degree turn and a wet, but not as bad as expected, trudge down the glen back to the where we had crossed the burn, then back to the start.
Just in time before the rain started!!

As you can probably tell from the length of the report, not a stunner this one, but it's done and it's now a blue balloon. Roll on better days on better hills. :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Re: Geal Charn It! Tomsie's Gone And Lost His Pole!

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 am

Not much of a hill but saw more than last week. Back to car just in time before the rain, glad I found the pole like having an extra leg
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Hill-loving lady » Mon May 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Tomsie wrote:Not much of a hill but saw more than last week. Back to car just in time before the rain, glad I found the pole like having an extra leg

Pleased it wasn't washed away in a river crossing like Spider's almost was when we were up there with Jen. Scenery was much improved by watching him splashing about in the very much in spate burn, on his backside at that!

Did we laugh? Ohhh yes!!!! :wink:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Hill-loving lady wrote:Did we laugh? Ohhh yes!!!! :wink:

Did you get a photo
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon May 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Nice one SL think this is underated in my opinon got my mo-jo back when I did it,pity you missed the Culra weekend it was a blast mate.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Mon May 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Good wee read SL when i done it i thought about going over to Beinn Sgiath and down the ridge but i to could'nt be bothered :lol: :lol: .
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland