walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back before the rain

Back before the rain

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Route description: Creag Mac Ranaich and Meall an t-Seallaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mac Ranaich, Meall an t-Seallaidh

Date walked: 12/05/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 21.4 km

Ascent: 1051m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Creag Mac Ranaich, Meall an t-Seallaidh
Date: Sunday 12 May 2013
Time taken: 4hrs 30mins (incl stops 35mins) - bike and walk
Distance: 21.4km
Ascent: 1,051m
Attendees: me

Suffering from a long layoff for various reasons incl family commitments and a recently developed aversion to walking in clag and rain with no views. Had hoped to resume this weekend but the weather forecast was far from encouraging – certainly not good enough to justify driving 300 – 400 miles for what would be a wet day with no views on the munros.

However, the Sunday forecast for Lochearnhead suggested dry and maybe bright until mid morning when the rain was due. So, got up [very] early on Sunday morning, had breakfast and drove up to the car park in Lochearnhead as there’s no parking nearer the start of the walk. On the M9, just before the Craigforth turnoff, a small animal dashed across the carriageway in front of me. Managed to catch a glimpse of it at the side of the road before it disappeared – first time I’d seen a badger in the wild.

Set off from the car by bike at just after 5.30am.

Back down the A84 then up the side road past the church. The next bit was a wee bit confusing so I took some photos on the way back down but included them here for info.

Continue up the road until just before a bridge. Don’t go over it, go down to the left.

Meet the cycle path, turn right, go under that bridge.

Continue up the cycle path on the zigzags. Get to the top of the zigzags, turn left and through a gate.

Keep going through more gates until coming close to a bridge. Don’t go under it – go through a gate to the left, up a grassy track and over the bridge to get on to the main Glen Kendrum track.

Cycled up this track. Hard going and slow in places until I got to around 400m when I stopped, hid the bike behind some grass and rock and locked it up.

Getting higher and looking ahead, the start of Creag Mac Ranaich looked steep.

Over to Meall an t-Seallaidh

Back to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Continued the walk up until reaching the bealach between the two hills. Then headed NW up the steep hillside – couldn’t see a track. Got up to the top then headed over to the summit with a small cairn.

There was another wee cairn further over so walked over to it. Then headed back via a wee top to the SW.

Slippery descent as I looked over to Meall an t-Seallaidh to work out the ascent route. Straight up to the right of Cam Chreag.

Found a wee loch up there before continuing over Cam Chreag and on to the summit.

Trig point and cairn at the top.

Back to Creag Mac Ranaich

Then headed SE to another cairn with what wood have been a good view in better weather.

Then a heathery descent NE to get back to the main track. Very brief spell of light rain when I got back to the track but nothing much.

Waterfall

Walked back down to find the bike and then cycled back to the car park arriving a few minutes after 10am. The rain came on lightly toward the end of the cycle but was safely back in the car and heading off before it came on heavily. Mission accomplished and no need for waterproofs – early starts have their advantages.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Back before the rain

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 am

Love that first photo. Terrible when one has to resort to Corbetts! :crazy:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 am

Good call. I made that decision a long time ago about travelling miles for no views when there are so many other hills on the doorstep. I look forward to your Corbett tally creeping up this year. :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pigeon » Tue May 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Just when i thought i could maybe catch up with you on the Corbetts at least :lol: Done these 2 over the winter with Ian and Jake but had to split them up into 2 trips,not so good a day on Creag mac but a better one on Meall an t Seallaidh,good hills though and less than an hour from my door.Good report RH :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue May 14, 2013 2:23 pm

He who dares wins! :clap:

I planned to do Chonzie & Auchnafree on Sunday and, having also been keen to avoid the worst of the weather, set my alarm for 4am. Had been up at 3.30am the day before and when alarm sounded I turned it off instead of snoozing it and dozed off only to awake 2 hours later, my window of opportunity gone I reckoned so, I just rolled over and went back to sleep again.

Been kicking myself since, so thanks for making me feel better :-x
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Graeme D » Tue May 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Nice hills these ones! MaS is a cracking viewpoint along the length of Loch Earn. Now, I'd better get my skates on and get a few more Corbetts done before......... :lol: :lol: :lol: This weekend should help! :D :D :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for the detailed info for start of walk - which could save many a body confusion at the off! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby denfinella » Wed May 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Lots of nice moody photos there rockhopper. That's looks like about the most confusing start to a walk I've ever seen...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby PeteR » Wed May 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Enjoyed this one RH :D

Corbetts certainly seem to be popular these days :lol:

I tend to get lost quite regulalrly at the start of walks (not that I make a big thging of mentioning that fact in my reports) so your detail is useful for when I get round tho these two :thumbup:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Aye I ve developed an aversion to "clag walking" and my the Corbetts is mighty fine subs :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby mountain thyme » Wed May 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Jees that was an early start :) i found it was a wee bit confusing at times finding the main path to the actual hill .. :crazy:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dooterbang » Thu May 16, 2013 2:32 pm

I seem to have succumbed to that terrible disease too and will not travel 4 hours simply to bag. I will travel anything up to 6 hours for sunshine and views though :D

Nice report and some nice views. Valuable info on route finding too.

Here's hoping summer is around the corner :roll:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Fri May 17, 2013 5:23 pm

cheers all :D

dooterbang wrote:Here's hoping summer is around the corner :roll:
the way the forecast's looking, it'll be next year before I get back on a munro :roll: :wink: :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland