walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nos 212 & 213 and an Invitation to 214

Nos 212 & 213 and an Invitation to 214

Postby DaveB1 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:09 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike, Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike, Yewbarrow, Yewbarrow North Top

Date walked: 20/04/2013

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 9.89 km

Ascent: 933m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A flying visit to the Lakes to complete numbers 212 and 213, started with a drive to YHA Wastwater on a Friday after work. After negotiating the traffic around the M6 at Preston, the further north I went the quieter the traffic and by the time I’d passed Grange and Muncaster, the roads were quiet, the sun shining and the spirits soaring.
After a very pleasant night, Cumberland Ale and a good book, coupled with a ‘snore-free’ sleep and a hearty breakfast (self-prepared!), Saturday morning dawned clear and fine and a short drive to the car park at the base of Yewbarrow (212), gave me a good photo start.
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 004.jpg
View from the Car Park

Boots on, poles readied, map checked, Yellowhammer spotted and off I went.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having taken the advice of Bob (Warden at YHA) on a previous stay I planned to go up the nose till I reached the wall, turn left and contour round to the bealach between Red Pike and Stirrup Crag and then up the Crag along the top and back down to the car.
Great plan! But, yes there is always a ‘but’, I turned left too quickly, probably the lazy gene kicking in and followed what I thought was the obvious path ( I know, I’d not checked the GPS or map!) :crazy:
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 008.jpg
Not the right path but it looked good!

As I merrily contoured round; revelling in the views and silence, realisation dawned and as the photo shows when I eventually decided I was off course, the uphill pull to the right path was a suitable punishment. I really should not be let loose on my own! :lol: :lol:
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 010.jpg
The right path I started from middle right of the photo

Gradually the view opened up and heading between the big boulders I eventually gained the top and a welcome sit down.
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 013.jpg
The big boulders

The view from the top was superb and as yet I’d not met a soul.

Stirrup Crag was the next objective and as I sat happily munching a banana and a caramel wafer, I surveyed my next challenge. The path up is obvious for about half the height, then it disappeared.
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 015.jpg
Stirrup Crag

Whilst pondering the route, cursing my ageing eyesight and packing the rucksack, help arrived in the shape of two fellow walkers descending the crag.
Off I went up the crag and sure enough met the guys at the point where I hadn’t been able to see the route. These two informed me they were doing a recce for a trip the following weekend to do the ‘Bob Graham Round’ in four walking days. (I hope they made it!). They also pointed me in the right direction and sure enough the awkward bit (face first into the rock and a step round left) was soon turned and the first summit attained.
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 018.jpg
First summit and Great Gable

Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 021.jpg
Spine and Last top

The views from the top were great and the trot along the spine very pleasant, I just followed the path, reached the cairn and continued in a general downward direction. I’d read AW and all about the Great Door, but I just followed the path and line of least resistance.
The National Trust were repairing the path and had left great big bags of rocks on it, so the path was obvious, getting round the bags was a complete pain, but they were there to do a job, which in all honesty needs doing as the erosion was pretty severe in places. Nevertheless I was delighted to see the local MRT out practising as the descent was very steep and loose and one missed step could have proven interesting.
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 026.jpg
Mountain Rescue practice

The rest of the descent was fine and I saw where I’d gone wrong on my ascent. Yewbarrow was a lot more fun than I’d anticipated and despite its loftier neighbours makes a cracking mornings’ walk. :clap: :clap:
My next hill, Cold Pike (213) was a valley away, so I hit the road and drove round into Eskdale, going over the HardKnott Pass to The Three Shires Stone at the top of the Wrynose.
Parking was tight but I managed to find a spot and set off for the summit.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 029.jpg
Cold Pike
Cold Pike

I stuck to the path towards Red Tarn but then went ‘off piste’ and took a direct route to the summit. Wandering ever upwards, gave a good view of Red Tarn not seen for many a year and the silence was broken by the shouts of two rock climbers on Long Scar (I think). I watched their progress for a while admiring their skill and determination, until the eyes failed the detail and I made for the summit.
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 030.jpg
Red Tarn

I hadn’t been to this area for some thirty years and whilst I remember doing Pike O’Blisco, Crinkle Crags and Bowfell from Langdale I could not remember whether I’d included Cold Pike so I thought I’d best do it again just to make sure.
I parked myself on the lee side of the summit and admired the view to Crinkle Crags and Bowfell.
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 033.jpg
Crinkle Crags and Bowfell

After a suitable rest, refreshments and a chat to a father and son (11yrs) combination, who were about 150 into the Wainwrights. I reversed my route and arrived back at the car. :D
All that remained now was the drive back to Ambleside and off down the M6. It would have been a great journey except for the Mods on their scooters. There were bloody hundreds of them coming up the pass, making progress slow to say the least. :shock:
So that leaves just the one still to do. It’s Rannerdale Knotts above Buttermere and I’m doing it (come rain or shine!) on Sunday 9th June 2013. If anyone wants to join me, Mrs B (yes she’s doing it!) Jim, Lassie and a few friends I’ll be leaving about 10am from NY 175170, the bridge over Mill Beck. You are all most welcome and thanks for reading this! See you there, Dave. :lol:
Attachments
Yewbarrow & Cold Pike 014.jpg
Kirk Fell and Great Gable
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Nos 212 & 213 and an Invitation to 214

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Well done, Dave :D I've lost count how many times I have walked up Yewbarrow but, quite a few as we always camped in Wasdale every August for several years :lol:
Good Luck for the 9th and enjoy the day :thumbup: Don't think I'll be able to get over as we're staying in Keswick for the week at the moment :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: Nos 212 & 213 and an Invitation to 214

Postby DaveB1 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:10 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Well done, Dave :D I've lost count how many times I have walked up Yewbarrow but, quite a few as we always camped in Wasdale every August for several years :lol:
Good Luck for the 9th and enjoy the day :thumbup: Don't think I'll be able to get over as we're staying in Keswick for the week at the moment :D

Many thanks Susie, I'm looking forward to the trip as we're camping at Dalegarth Sat & Sun. Nine Standards Rigg this weekend meeting Jim who's on the Coast-to Coast trip! :lol:
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland