walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnwell 3, Tolmount & Tom Buidhe

Cairnwell 3, Tolmount & Tom Buidhe

Postby gman » Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn an Tuirc, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 16/05/2013

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1435m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather report looked OKish for these, it's a long drive for a short walk though so thought I'd bag Tolmount & Tom Buidhe as well if I was finished early.

Cairnwell 3
11km
605m ascent
2hrs 50

cairnwell 15-5-2013 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked at ski centre, Carn Aosda with ski tows etc.

There's a track, but I just went straight up following the fence - it's a bit muddy this way though.

Carn a'Gheoidh from the top of Carn Aosda.

Again, a landrover track to follow.

Soon down & up to the ridge, looking back to Carn Aosda:

Carn a'Gheoidh cairn, looking west.

Bit of weather over the Cairngorms.

Onwards, view of a glen & Baddoch Burn.

The path leading round to the Cairnwell is the least developed part of the walk & the minor tops in between are more interesting than the Munros.

Nearer the Cairnwell, Carn a'Gheoidh looks a bit more dramatic.

Loch Vrotachan.

Near the top.

Back to Carn Aosda.

Top of the Cairnwell.

Glen Shee.

Then back to the ski centre, short descent over steep wet grass.

Took 2 & a half hours to drive here so was hoping for more of a walk. Had a bite to eat then drove up the road for Plan B:

Tom Buidhe & Tolmount
16.5km
829m ascent
5:15

tolmount 15-5-2013 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had done the Carn an Tuirc 4 from here before, muddy path at the start.

Back to Cairnwell etc.

Top of Carn an Tuirc.

There's another cairn in the distance, headed to the right of this.

Down to the bealach with Cairn of Claise. Met a walker here who had done Tolmount & Tom Buidhe via Loch Callater with a cycle in, that sounds like a much better walk cos this way is pretty much a bog trudge.

First views of the Munros.

Hail & snow coming in from the Cairngorms, visibility deteriorated so now much chance of a view.

Tom Buidhe from the top of Tolmount.

Then onwards through a bog.

Tom buidhe cairn.

Back to Tolmount, brief sunshine.

Walked back getting blasted with hail in the face, tricky navigating so had GPS in hand most of the way. Went round the south side of Carn an Tuirc, bit steep so had to ascend over craggy bits.

Then a nice muddy walk back to the car in the rain.

Not the best way to do these hills I guess, but an easy enough walk to combine with the Cairnwell 3.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Cairnwell 3, Tolmount & Tom Buidhe

Postby Sarah86 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:53 am

I really wish we had headed here one of the nice days last week. I have been looking to visit the Cairnwell 3 for an easy(ish) walk but still getting the views. You had a great day for it and your photos are lovely
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Re: Cairnwell 3, Tolmount & Tom Buidhe

Postby gman » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 am

Sarah86 wrote:I really wish we had headed here one of the nice days last week. I have been looking to visit the Cairnwell 3 for an easy(ish) walk but still getting the views. You had a great day for it and your photos are lovely

Thanks, worth waiting for good weather to bag these - might be a bit dull without the views.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland