walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ton Up on Creise

Ton Up on Creise

Postby weaselmaster » Thu May 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 16/05/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 26.7 km

Ascent: 2133m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

(Actually it was 100 up on Meall aBhuridh but that didn't sound as catchy :wink: )

creise.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Been feeling lethargic and somewhat out of sorts this week. So a spot of self-diagnosis - acute lackofhillitis. After all I'd only managed one hill last weekend. Treatment prescribed - More Hills :wink:
So with a day off work it seemed reasonable to get away. It was also going to bring up my 100 after sitting on 99 for - well, actually only 4 days, but it was niggling away :) Had originally thought I should go up to Lochnagar, but the forecast was a bit iffy and I knew I shouldn't do a big walk if I'm going out at the weekend - so Meall a'Bhuirdh and Creise seemed to fit the bill. Forecasts were clashing, with MWF predicting sunshine and MWIS heavy snow from lunchtime. Ho hum :roll:

Got away at the leisurly time of 6.30 and got up to the White Corries ski centre for about 8. Rather alarmed to see the amount of snow on Creise which was way more than I'd been expecting. Met another guy in the car park and chatted for a bit - he'd been hoping to go down Sron na Creise, which I'd been looking at too, but since he'd not brought his crampons he reckoned that wasn't going to happen.

chair lifts by 23weasels, on Flickr

Set off up the path under the ski tow which was boggy at the start, and there were numerous streams to jump over, but by about 650m the snow was predominating. Quite a good consistency down here. The path becomes more bouldery as I reached the shoulder of Meall aBuiridh.

creise by 23weasels, on Flickr

towards the bookil by 23weasels, on Flickr

Ski warning signs were posted along the edge which was an unusual sight to see.
General warning? by 23weasels, on Flickr

No difficulties were encountered in the remaining stretch up to the summit, although I could see the mist drifting in along the ridge of Creise and resigned myself to another day of clag.
Clag approaches Creise by 23weasels, on Flickr

Celebrated my 100 in a subdued style with no audience- much like my 50 on Beinn Udlamain :( Headed over to the eastern top in case it was higher - it wasn't.
Top of MaB - 100! by 23weasels, on Flickr

second top MaB by 23weasels, on Flickr

Started off along the route to Creise, but after only a wee distance decided to put my KTS crampons on as the snow was developing a bit of icy crust on the downward slope. By this time the guy from the carpark, who turned out to be a Vet from Forres called Andy had caught me up and we decided to walk through the clag along the ridge together. He was in pursuit of tops so we detoured to take in Clach Leathad which had some impressive cornicing still in evidence over Coire an Easain.
Top of Clach Leathad by 23weasels, on Flickr

Clag still down as we returned to the 1070 point and set off along the ridge to the summit of Creise. This was quite exciting with some rocky scrambles in the snow and a wee bit of exposure. Got to the summit of Creise to find with some delight that the clag was lifting and we could see things :clap:

creise summit with stob a ghlais coire by 23weasels, on Flickr

creag dhubh by 23weasels, on Flickr

bookil again by 23weasels, on Flickr

creag dhubh by 23weasels, on Flickr

MaB by 23weasels, on Flickr

back along the ridge by 23weasels, on Flickr

me with MaB in background by 23weasels, on Flickr

After some photos we had a chat about what to do next. We both fancied the steeped descent down Sron na Creise and decided to at least go and have a look at it. There were good views over to the Bookil and the buttress of SnC looked ominous and black against the snow surrounding it. More cornicing along the ridge.
glas coire by 23weasels, on Flickr

sron na creise by 23weasels, on Flickr

ridge towards SaGC by 23weasels, on Flickr

looking back from SaGC by 23weasels, on Flickr

sron na creise by 23weasels, on Flickr

its a long way down by 23weasels, on Flickr

We got to Stob a Glaise Coire and decided we'd go down into the coire to the east of the rocky crags. Snow was soft here and the descent steep initially - i was quietly cursing the lack of front points on my KTS's while Andy was cursing the lack of crampons altogether :wink: Ice axes were brought into play and we carefully headed down, finishing off with a super bum slide on the final bit of snow.
descent from SnC by 23weasels, on Flickr

descent #2 by 23weasels, on Flickr

looking back up by 23weasels, on Flickr

close up by 23weasels, on Flickr

the ben by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1020049 by 23weasels, on Flickr

bookil with rain behind by 23weasels, on Flickr

We then picked our way through the steep grass/scree slopes down into Cam Ghleann and crossed the river before heading over the lower slopes of Creag Dhubh and back to the Ski Centre. By this time it's only about 1pm - the weather is looking like it might rain or at least shower, but Andy was keen to add one outstanding Glen Etive hill from his tally and asked whether I fancied going over to do Beinn Fionnlaidh. When have I been known to turn down the opportunity of a hill that I haven't done? Of course I was up for it :crazy:

We drove along the narrow road down Glen Etive - Andy had a route that started from Invercharnan and we parked up at a small parking area next to the opening for the quarry. A word of warning - there are numerous rocks sticking up out of the ground which make sickening noises on the underside of your car when you reverse over them :shock:

car park by 23weasels, on Flickr

ben starav from invercharnan by 23weasels, on Flickr

The path starts going through the quarry then along a good forestry track, although most of the trees have been chopped. The alarming thing was the elevation at the start of the walk- 52m above sea level :( = 907m of elevation to be gained all over again :roll: Was easy going thru the forest as we slowly gained height. We could seethe grassy slopes of Meall nan Gobhar and the 841 hill ahead of us through the trees.
towards beinn fionnlaidh by 23weasels, on Flickr

meall nan gobhar and the 841 top by 23weasels, on Flickr

There's a wee cairn that marks where to leave the main forest track and head out of the trees to the Old Sheilings. Heading downhill a little to the west and crossing some - um - interesting bridges over the streams.
bridge! by 23weasels, on Flickr

sgurr na h-ulaidh in distance by 23weasels, on Flickr

#2 by 23weasels, on Flickr

#3 by 23weasels, on Flickr

etive range by 23weasels, on Flickr

We could see that it was going to be a steep pull up the grassy slopes. We followed the well marked path and then headed to the R of some crags on the ascent. We see an eagle circling langurously overhead, a newt pops out of the grass at my feet and numerous tiny vivid green frogs somersault their way into wetter grass.
steep slope by 23weasels, on Flickr

Oh yeah, this is steep going on tired legs. But we both keep up a good pace and, after reaching a bank of unpleasant loose scree get to the top of the 841 top.
the ben again by 23weasels, on Flickr

the big bookil ridge by 23weasels, on Flickr

down glen etive by 23weasels, on Flickr

both bookil ridges by 23weasels, on Flickr

looking over to ben more on mull by 23weasels, on Flickr

We can see the dark brooding hulk of Fionnlaidh curled over to our left and the views up to the Bookils and down to the other Etive hills is superb. There's another wide ridge to follow towards BF and then a narrow path leads along the south side of the hill, coiling away from coire reidh and allowing access to the summit of BF from behind.

first view BF summit by 23weasels, on Flickr

BF curving by 23weasels, on Flickr

cruachan by 23weasels, on Flickr

closer view BF by 23weasels, on Flickr

A short section of steep wet snow and then we are there. The views are impressive, though the air is a little hazy. It's nice to be able to identify many of the hills I see - from Cruachan to the south, Beinn aChochuill, the bulk of Starav then up to Glencoe and beyond - it's like greeting old friends and I'm so happy that I let the mad vet talk me into this :clap:

top BF by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1020081 by 23weasels, on Flickr

another view towards the sea by 23weasels, on Flickr

the ben by 23weasels, on Flickr
After a well deserved coffee and flapjack it's turn around time and down the slopes. We don't bother retracing our steps to the 841 top but head straight down once we get back to coire reidh - initially this is steep and slippy, but finally levels out onto a gentler gradient and the trek back to the car is made in good time - just over 4 hours all in for this hill.
descent by 23weasels, on Flickr

fhionnlaid.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It's been a delightful day and I'm happy also to have taken my tally to 102 hills which means 100 since I started this hillwalking malarky in september (I had 2 hills in my numbers from the 1990s). Got the top down driving back along the Glen Etive road with some fantastic hill views in the evening sunshine.

on the road back up glen etive #1 by 23weasels, on Flickr

#2 by 23weasels, on Flickr

#3 by 23weasels, on Flickr

#4 by 23weasels, on Flickr
Last edited by weaselmaster on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Ton Up on Creise

Postby battie72 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Well done on passing your 100th!
Wish I'd been there with you but some of us had to work you know.....mild jealousy at work me thinks!!!
battie72
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:135
Fionas:212   Donalds:79+37
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:3   Islands:21

Postby rockhopper » Fri May 17, 2013 12:01 am

Congrats on the 100, WM :clap: - looks like you got the best of the weather as well - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby denfinella » Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 am

Congratulations on your 100, and looks like a good day to mark it! Looking snowy for mid-May...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Stuart Angus » Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 am

:thumbup: Well done on the 100.................and for adding Fhionnlaidh onto these two ya mad man :lol: :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Fudgie » Fri May 17, 2013 9:46 am

Congratulations on reaching 100 :clap: I'm thinking about heading down Glen Etive tomorrow so this is a very timely report 8)
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri May 17, 2013 8:33 pm

A fine landmark,so well done on the 100.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby hutchy1 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Congratulations on the ton up some cracking pics thats 26 in the couple of months since we met on an stuc :clap:
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby simon-b » Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Congratulations on the century, WM, and a great report with excellent pictures. Wise title choice too; "Ton up on Meall a' Bhuiridh" might have sounded like downhill skiing at 100 mph.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby dawnfoth » Sun May 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Nice one weaselmaster! I really enjoyed reading your report. Well done for adding Beinn Fionnlaidh. Great effort. I did Meall a Bhuirdh and Creise on a good day and also bagged the 'top' which it has to be said was far more enjoyable than the munro itself! I however, returned via MaB to descend as Sron na Creise looked mighty steep and that was on a summers day! Great to go out on your own and end up in company too! :D Some great pics there.
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby Owen b » Sun May 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Well done on the century.

I did more or less the same route this morning in thick clag (which annoyingly cleared shortly after I got back to the car). It's amazing how much difference three days makes; there's still lines of soft snow on the north and east sides of the ridges but it's easily traversed or avoided without crampons or axe. I took the east and then slightly south east descent off Stob a' Ghlais Choire (rather than north east off Sron na Creise) which was quite steep and loose and uncomfortable but there was no snow left at all on that side and it was not scary.
Owen b
Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:222
Fionas:168   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:204   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:9

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland