walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon 4 ( snow showers and sunburn)

Glen Lyon 4 ( snow showers and sunburn)

Postby markthespark » Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 15/05/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With my thighs fully recovered :lol: :lol: :lol: and deciding that for now, I'm better solo walking to save holding folk up :lol: ( as grass seems to grow faster than I walk), I headed through from Linlithgow to Invervar and parked up at the wee area beside the phone-box.
Booted and suited by 8.30 but found that the entry to the WH described path was blocked due to security railing around the "old smithy" :roll: so had a slight detour around the back and over the fence to get to where I needed to be.
The path up through the woods and out alongside the Invervar burn was pretty soft underfoot, but there are marker posts to show directions to Carn Gorm. Crossed over the wee bridge and followed the fence line of the planted forest to you reach the corner and the open moorland and then upwards over pretty boggy conditions to the plateau of Creag Ghlas.
Glen Lyon from Greag Ghlas.JPG
Glen Lyon from Creag Ghlas

Carn Gorm from Creag Ghlas.JPG
Carn Gorm from Greag Ghlas

From here it's a steady climb up to the crest and over to the cairn of Carn Gorm. When I set away from the car park, there was still a lot of clag on the peaks but by the time I reached the first summit, was happy that it had all cleared for some more pickys of surrounding views.
Lawers Hills - Ben Lawers, An Stuc & Meall Garbh.JPG
Lawers Hills - Ben Lawers, An Stuc & Meall Garbh

Loch Rannoch from Carn Gorm.JPG
Loch Rannoch from Carn Gorm

Headed off again, following the path down into the beallach and skirted the side of An Sgorr the along the fence post line up and over the boulder field towards the cairn at Meall Garbh.
From Meall Garbh Cairn to Meall Corranaich, Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers.JPG
From Meall Garbh Cairn to Meall Corranaich, Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers

Schiehallion from Meall Garbh.JPG
Schiehallion From Meall Garbh

Quick cuppa coffee and then headed off again following the path down and back up to Meall a' Bharr where I took shelter from the first of the snow :roll: . Wasn't too bad, but after half the day in relative decent weather, my face was getting a kinda freezing grit-blast :lol: :lol: so I was happy to "honker down" and wait for the worst to pass...
Shoogled off again once the snow had abated, but I could see there was more coming so was happy to reach the cairn at Carn Mairg for some more scran and shelter.....was hoping to fire off reams of pickys of Schiehallion but with the snow and the clag all you're getting is one of me at the cairn... :lol: :lol:
Me at Carn Mairg Cairn.JPG
Me at Carn Mairg Cairn

Ok, I said I was solo, but actually I had Billy Joel, Crowded House, The Commitments & Fleetwood Mac for company on each of the hills respectively :lol: :lol:
Of the whole day, I found the descent from Carn Mairg over the boulder field the hardest and was glad to get back onto the soft under-footing of Gleann Pollaidh before the short climb up to Meall na' Aighean.
Carn Mairg from Creag Mhor ( Meall Na Aighean - 981m).JPG
Carn Mairg from Meall na' Aighean

Carn Gorm from Meall Na Aighean.JPG
Carn Gorm from Meall na'Aighean

From Meall na' Aighean I followed the path on the ridge on the South side of the Allt Coire a'Chearcaill and by now the sun had re-emerged and was beating down on my "less than hairy napper" :lol: :lol: so by the time I reached the car-park, it was, along with my bugle, the colour of the adjacent phone box :lol: :lol: much to Mrs. Sparks amusement when I eventually got home :roll: :roll:
All in all, another fine day out, but this will be the last for a couple of months as I'm away back to work....

Slaters...

Sparky.
markthespark
Walker

Munros:17   

Re: Glen Lyon 4 ( snow showers and sunburn)

Postby hills » Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Great report, enjoyed that, good hills these... 8)
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby markthespark » Thu May 16, 2013 3:39 pm

hills wrote:Great report, enjoyed that, good hills these... 8)

Thanks for that...was a slog in the boggy stuff, but worth it for the views
markthespark
Walker

Postby simon-b » Thu May 16, 2013 7:50 pm

Nice to see the photos, Mark. I missed most of the views when I did these 4 the previous week. It's a good round.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby markthespark » Fri May 17, 2013 10:26 am

simon-b wrote:Nice to see the photos, Mark. I missed most of the views when I did these 4 the previous week. It's a good round.

I rattled off a few photos of Loch Rannoch and towards Glen Coe but the setting on the camera was wrong, so they didn't do the actual view justice :( :(
markthespark
Walker

Postby Second chance » Sun May 19, 2013 5:18 pm

These hills are on my list for tackling soon. Won't be tackling them as a one'r though, too old for multiple Munro's.
Enjoyed your photos and report well laid out and a good read.
Best regards, Second Chance.
Second chance
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   

Postby markthespark » Sun May 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Second chance wrote:These hills are on my list for tackling soon. Won't be tackling them as a one'r though, too old for multiple Munro's.
Enjoyed your photos and report well laid out and a good read.
Best regards, Second Chance.

Ta for that SC....canny say that I'm the fittest of walkers myself :lol: :lol: ......but I get there eventually......happy at times dawdling along, taking photos so my wife can see what it's like :D
markthespark
Walker

Postby Stuart Angus » Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 pm

:thumbup: cracking wee read this, love the pics and the views you got :thumbup:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby JimboJim » Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Some nice pictures there, Mark. Thanks for sharing.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland