walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tolmount & Tom Buidhe from Glen Doll - A Sunburned bogfest

Tolmount & Tom Buidhe from Glen Doll - A Sunburned bogfest

Postby jupe1407 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 19/05/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 970m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These hills take a bit of stick, and to be fair, they're far from spectacular, and i'm sure if they weren't Munros, few would bother with them. However, after walking up there today thinking of them as a couple of blue balloons to be gotten out of the way, I found them to be pretty pleasant. The forecast was decent, with predicted low-ish clag early on, to clear in the afternoon.

I arrived at Glen Doll's car park at about 10:30am (£2.00 charge, but an excellent facility), and was soon off up towards Jock's Road. I was expecting a bit of a bog-fest in the lower lying areas after a fair old rainfall overnight. The path through the forest was an indication of what was to come. After a couple of miles, the forest is exited to reveal Glen Doll. I'd been up here for a walk to the shelter with my girlfriend on Friday. There was a slight contrast in conditions....

DSC_0010.jpg
Glen Doll on Friday

DSC_0003.jpg
Glen Doll today

Hmmm. I hoped that by the time i got to Davie's Bourach, it might have cleared.

DSC_0009.jpg
Not exactly.

However, I carried on. This was indeed an absolute bogfest. The path was mostly a quagmire, and i soon discovered my boots were no longer waterproof. A long tedious slog ensued, as did a running hide-and-seek battle with Jock's Road. I finally left it at the Cairn below Crow Craigies, and cut across the slopes (and clag) towards Tolmount. I was now extremely fed up of squelchy ground, endless clag, and seriously questioning the sanity of getting out of bed on a Sunday morning to walk through a marsh. Indeed, i fully expected Gollum to appear to guide me through, muttering about a "a great battle long ago".

Finally, Tolmount's summit appeared after a quick pull uphill, and as if done by order, the clag lifted in the space of a few minutes, and after briefly wondering if I was about to be hit by a stray comet, realised that this was in fact the Sun. Tolmount has a fine summit viewpoint across to the Lochnagar hills, and down into Glen Callater. I sat here for a while, chatted to a couple of guys who were heading off to Tom Buidhe, and another chap and his son who were out on a similar walk. I sat here for a good while, eating an unhealthy number of cheese sandwiches and a "limited edition" 5 finger Kit Kat. Most enjoyable.

DSC_0011.jpg
View down to Glen Doll from Tolmount's summit cairn

DSC_0013.jpg
Clag briefly threatened

DSC_0036.jpg
Glen Callater

I sat here for ages, and considered including Carn an Tuirc and Cairn Of Claise, which looked pretty tempting. However, needing to be back home for 6pm, and anticipating another tedious boggy trudge, I decided to save those for another day. So it was off to Tom Buidhe. There's a reasonably clear path all the way to the summit from Tolmount, although it does disappear in more unpleasant boggy nonsense in the bealach. However it's easily picked up. I briefly stopped to take a couple of photos. And also for a fag.

DSC_0045.jpg
I think these are the High Cairngorms

DSC_0047.jpg
Down Cannes Glen towards Mount Blair

A quick pull to the summit followed, and yes, to be honest, this is a really boring hill. I took a couple of quick photos then decided to embrace the upcoming trudge through the wet and mud.

DSC_0050.jpg
Tom Buidhe Summit

DSC_0052.jpg
Cairn Bannoch?

I then spent about half an hour trying (and failing) to keep my balance on the wettest, slippiest hill in Christendom. Finally I arrive at the White Water and began the hilarious task of finding a crossing point. This proved fruitless, and realising that there was little point in keeping my feet dry anyway, just waded through it. It was "refreshing". My uttering of "F***ing Hell" seemed to disturb a grouse close by.

On the plus side, it was still hot and sunny. On the minus side, I hadn't bothered with any sort of sun protection. And I was getting fed up of unending marshland. Eventually i linked up with Jock's Road, which wasn't much better. I did have one hilarious "Vicar of Dibley" moment, standing on a patch of dried-out looking mud, and sinking in it to knee height. Finally i got to the sheltered and a semblance of decent path, and had a highly pleasant walk out, back through Glen Doll to the car park.

DSC_0063.jpg
Heather

DSC_0064.jpg
Craig Rennett

On balance, an enjoyable day, a couple of munros and some nice weather (which has now left the back of my neck looking redder than Harry Redknapp's cheeks). Tolmount was especially enjoyable and I'd have happily chilled out there for an hour or so. Tom Buidhe, not so much.

My advice to anyone planning these from Glen Doll - wait for a lengthy dry spell ( :lol: ). And bring sun block.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Tolmount & Tom Buidhe from Glen Doll - A Sunburned bogfe

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 pm

looked a good day - nice to see the weather turned out fine after the claggy start - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pollyh33 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Smashing report JP.

Rather hoping to include these two into a meander around Glenshee rather soon. Great to have an insight into alternative routes if things don’t go to plan .
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 am

pollyh33 wrote:Smashing report JP.

Rather hoping to include these two into a meander around Glenshee rather soon. Great to have an insight into alternative routes if things don’t go to plan .

I think they'd be easier to include from the Glen Shee side with Carn an Tuirc and Cairn of Claise (and indeed Glas Maol and Creag Leacach). I suspect the walk-in would be a good deal shorter, and slightly less bog to contend with.

On the other hand, the walk from Glen Doll forest to Davie's Bourach is very enjoyable and the Clova Hotel is handy for some decent scran afterwards. Decisions decisions!
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 am

A lovely set of photos, I really like the shot of the clag threatening to come in
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 22, 2013 11:47 am

Nice one Jupe. Loving the photography work with thon big piece that you have. :wink:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Wed May 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Entertaining report and some lovely pics. :D

I'm very fond of Glendoll and grab any reason to visit it so will probably do these two this way as well, but might vary it by taking the approach in the "leg" of the glen which holds the South Esk and tyhen descending your way - that way I'll have seen all three of Glendoll's "legs".

Thanks for sharing
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby jupe1407 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:37 pm

kevsbald wrote:Nice one Jupe. Loving the photography work with thon big piece that you have. :wink:

:lol:

Cheers (i think) ... might take it to Skye in August, although I'm not sure i fancy lugging it up onto the ridge!

Sabbathstevie wrote:Entertaining report and some lovely pics. :D

I'm very fond of Glendoll and grab any reason to visit it so will probably do these two this way as well, but might vary it by taking the approach in the "leg" of the glen which holds the South Esk and tyhen descending your way - that way I'll have seen all three of Glendoll's "legs".

Thanks for sharing

That'd be an interesting way to tackle these two.

Sarah86 wrote:A lovely set of photos, I really like the shot of the clag threatening to come in

Thanks Sarah, that's my favourite one as well :)
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland