walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Doing the Pap or maybe a Munro?

Doing the Pap or maybe a Munro?

Postby seamus0 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 18/05/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a good wee 1/2 day walk From Glencoe town. The initial plan was to climb the Pap which was always one of those hills I thought I'd keep for a relatively easy 1/2 day. However, on the way up we decided to do the Munro Sgorr nam Fiannaidh instead, which is simply a case of turning right or left further up the track, which hill you go up. I was always going to keep the Munro for when I get round to doing the Aonach Eagach, but thought, well Im here, might as well! So anyone else in a similar predicament, here's the route.

A good sized car-park (ref-108588) provides the starting point if you're driving just from outside Glencoe on the wee back road to the Clachaig. Walk along the road SE for a couple 100m SE.
IMGP0920.JPG
Path from carpark with Pap in distance

IMGP0923.JPG
Turnstile at side of road with PAP on it.

A gate, with a turnstile (which had 'PAP' on it) marks the track up.
IMGP0924.JPG
Track to Pap (with Pap in distance)

Another gate is crossed and follow the track up towards the Pap.

Climb up the hill next to a wood and cross over a bridge on the right to follow the track.
IMGP0944.JPG
Take this bridge on your right

This winds its way up the hill, in typical ziz-zag fashion. The track is pretty good, and no real map reading is required. Around 550m a Y-junction in the track appears. The left takes you up the Pap, the right takes you to the Munro. After a quick discussion, decision was made and we went right.
IMGP0926.JPG
Y-juntion on path, left takes you to Pap, right takes you to munro.

As you climb you get great views of Glencoe and the surrounding hills. It really is a good spot if you want good views of Loch Leven, and the hills around Glencoe with not much time.
IMGP0927.JPG
Views of Glencoe below and Loch Leven

The route to the Pap was relatively busy, we met 3 or 4 groups heading up it. But we were the only one's who took the right path. I guess most folks climb this Munro after doing the ridge. We met some coming off the ridge heading in the opposite direction on the way down. They confirmed it was pretty blowey on the ridge given the windy conditions.

We knew the weather was going to turn in the afternoon, so wanted to get off before the storm hit. At the bealach, the track pitters out and the slope becomes bouldery/scree in places.
IMGP0929.JPG
Picture of the Pap from the Bealach

IMGP0928.JPG
Route up becomes more screey

However its relatively easy to follow, heading up. Eventually it reaches a broad ridge flattening out.
IMGP0932.JPG
Walking along the broad ridge, weather closing in.

The track can be found again on this ridge which leads to the top. The large walled cairn can be reached in no time.
IMGP0931.JPG
The top of Sgorr nam Fiannaidh

The cairn had a hole in it, not sure what that was for?
IMGP0939.JPG
Cairn with a hole in it?

On the top, the weather was turning into a gale. We lost some visibility, and couldnt see the Aonach Eagach at the top. We confirmed it wasnt a day to hang around (or to be doing the ridge!) We were considering a bit of recon to see if we could get any shots of the ridge, but it wasnt on, so decided to turn back.
IMGP0943.JPG
Heading back the same way, it was difficult to stand up in places!

It became difficult to stand/walk in places with the gusts exceeding 60mph. still there was no real exposure so it was only a challenge keeping on your feet.

From beginning to top is just over 2 hrs. So around 4.5 hrs in total. So this makes a good wee walk! We got back to the car just as the storm hit, and it rained for the next 24hrs with gales. Good timing! Next time, I'll go left and do my original plan and do the Pap....and the 'dreaded' Aonach Eagach...well it will just have to wait for another time :-)!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Doing the Pap or maybe a Munro?

Postby hills » Thu May 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Good report, enjoyed that, the view from the pap is so iconic, great hill. i did both the munros without doing the bit in the middle, think lots of folk do... :D :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Re: Doing the Pap or maybe a Munro?

Postby seamus0 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:12 am

Cheers Hills, im hoping to do the bit in the middle in the 'summer' if it ever arrives. I hear its not to be missed, as long as you go with someone who knows it. We shall see!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland