walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wander in the mist

A Wander in the mist

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Eel Crag, Grasmoor, Wandope, Whiteless Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Grasmoor, Wandope, Whiteless Pike

Date walked: 19/05/2013

Time taken: 6

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 970m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It’s been a frustrating time since returning from the Lakes at Easter with very little walking being done anywhere. So finally being given a free day and a decent forecast it was straight over to Lakeland to kick start the bagging once again. Both MWIS and the Met office promised early mist lifting from the hills by midday giving 80% chance of cloud free summits after 12.

Calm morning by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

When we first arrived at Cinderdale Common (grabbing one of the last parking spots as is our style :) ) things didn’t look too bad. It was a lovely calm morning with the cloud base at around 450m and some brighter spots promising the forecast would pan out. After starting up the Lad Howes ridge however it quickly became obvious that all was not going it go to plan as the cloud dropped quickly to around 200m accompanied by a very fine mizzle. :(

Cinderdale Beck by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Cinderdale Beck close up by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Into the mists we ventured up the increasingly steep ridge that was surprisingly dry underfoot given the recent rain. The lack of visibility made this a rather odd ascent without the focus of a big lump of a hill to aim for or great views to help encourage tired limbs. As you gain height the ridge becomes rockier and defined resembling a route up a Munro in the highlands rather than a Wainwright.

...and the mist comes down by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The summit shelter was eventually reached after much huffing and blowing particularly by Grace who had an attack of early onset teenager on the way up.

Happy family? by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We had already stopped for lunch on the ridge so it was a brief pause before the simple straight walk to Crag Hill for more misty whiteness. The lack of views certainly puts these fells at the top of the” return to” list once we’ve knocked off the others but in some ways experiencing the fells like this is worth it every once in a while. The silence and peace it quite something and I quite honestly could have had a snooze next to the dilapidated trig point.

Misty family shot on Crag Hill (with added lost midget) by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Onwards past Wandope with just a pause to stare into the milky white void before we started our decent from the fells down Whiteless edge. This is a fantastic defined ridge that I’m sure is a pure joy on a clear day but here only enhanced the feelings that we’d missed so much and would have to return.
We did get some slight glimpses down to Sail beck on our way down but it was not until we’d had a cup of coffee on Whiteless Pike that finally a view over Crummock Water opened up.

Parting of the Mist by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Dropping out of the clouds by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Crummock Water by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We descended down to Whiteless Breast before returning to the car through Rannerdale giving Rannerdale Knotts a miss as time was getting on.
It was a bit wet through Rannerdale but that did little to detract from a beautiful valley that provided a wonderful end to the walk. The famous bluebells were also out in force, just a pity there wasn't a bit of sunshine to get some better pics.

Along the Wall by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Rannerdale by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Whiteless Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Even with the failed forecast it was still a canny day out with four more Wainwrights and Hewitts added to the tally. We’re off to Wales next week hoping for some better weather than last year so the Hewitt tally can be topped up even further and perhaps explore a bit more of the beautiful sights of Snowdonia.

TR_130519-110438.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Wander in the mist

Postby Ibex » Wed May 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Oh dear, Grace didn't look too happy at the top of the first one.

Your photo's are spectacular. At least 4 or 5 of them could be postcards, or full sized blown up paintings.

We got some serious clag on a recent trip to the Lakes. Some days there was no point in taking the camera at all. Whinn Rigg and Illgill Head were pretty attrocious for views and horizontal rain. Hope I get some better weather this weekend.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Ibex wrote:Oh dear, Grace didn't look too happy at the top of the first one.

No she certainly wasn't :lol:

ibex wrote:
Your photo's are spectacular. At least 4 or 5 of them could be postcards, or full sized blown up paintings.

We got some serious clag on a recent trip to the Lakes. Some days there was no point in taking the camera at all. Whinn Rigg and Illgill Head were pretty attrocious for views and horizontal rain. Hope I get some better weather this weekend.

Thanks Ibex, we might not have got no views for most of the walk but it was still a very pleasant day to be out and about. We climbed Snowdon last year in horizontal rain and clag, no keen on repeating that experience this year.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby morag1 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Always enjoy your reports, mainly for the beautiful photos but also it's nice to see Grace and Hughie out there enjoying themselves (or not!) :lol:

It's great that you added a map to the report, lets the rest of us see exactly where this walk is and hopefully give it a go sometime :D
morag1

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 am

Another great report and photos :thumbup:
I particularly like the close up of the beck :D
I went to Rannerdale at the beginning of the previous week and a lot of the bluebells were still to come out.
Enjoy your trip to Wales :)
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 pm

morag1 wrote:Always enjoy your reports, mainly for the beautiful photos but also it's nice to see Grace and Hughie out there enjoying themselves (or not!) :lol:

It's great that you added a map to the report, lets the rest of us see exactly where this walk is and hopefully give it a go sometime :D

SusieThePensioner wrote:Another great report and photos :thumbup:
I particularly like the close up of the beck :D
I went to Rannerdale at the beginning of the previous week and a lot of the bluebells were still to come out.
Enjoy your trip to Wales :)

Thank you both, well worth a visit when the bluebells are out.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Sat May 25, 2013 6:20 am

Recently had a walk up Whinn Rigg and Illgill Head in the clag and horizontal rain. Saw nothing that wasn't 5 metres ahead of us and got soaked. We did walk through a little forest with the bluebells out though, which was nice.
They love the Lakes it seems, as there were tonnes of them all over the place.

I'm supposed to be back up there at the moment, but managed to get tonsilitis instead. So i've got to stay a home with the antibiotics, rather than be in the hills. Not too happy about that!

My Wife had a bit of a 'teenaged regression' when we went up Scafell Pike a few years ago. Not done much walking with me since.
As long as Grace keeps enjoying it, thats a wonderful thing. I'm just happy to look at your stunning photos.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

Postby Sarah86 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:54 am

Beautiful scenery and you photos as always are spectacular. Love the shots with the bluebells.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon May 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Ibex wrote:Recently had a walk up Whinn Rigg and Illgill Head in the clag and horizontal rain. Saw nothing that wasn't 5 metres ahead of us and got soaked. We did walk through a little forest with the bluebells out though, which was nice.
They love the Lakes it seems, as there were tonnes of them all over the place.

I'm supposed to be back up there at the moment, but managed to get tonsilitis instead. So i've got to stay a home with the antibiotics, rather than be in the hills. Not too happy about that!

My Wife had a bit of a 'teenaged regression' when we went up Scafell Pike a few years ago. Not done much walking with me since.
As long as Grace keeps enjoying it, thats a wonderful thing. I'm just happy to look at your stunning photos.

Get well soon Mate

Sarah86 wrote:Beautiful scenery and you photos as always are spectacular. Love the shots with the bluebells.

Thanks Sarah.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Phooooey » Mon May 27, 2013 10:58 pm

It's amazing how a few days can change everything in the Lakes. I've just posted my entry from Whiteside to Whiteless Pike from Saturday with similar pictures to yourself but in glorious sunshine. I was on Bakestall last week in the same weather as yourself but without a card in the camera. My views were possibly less than yours! Great report !!
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Phooooey wrote:It's amazing how a few days can change everything in the Lakes. I've just posted my entry from Whiteside to Whiteless Pike from Saturday with similar pictures to yourself but in glorious sunshine. I was on Bakestall last week in the same weather as yourself but without a card in the camera. My views were possibly less than yours! Great report !!

Cheers Phooooey
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby soapy27 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Great family day out there Anthony , and immense photos as per usual :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 pm

soapy27 wrote:Great family day out there Anthony , and immense photos as per usual :D

Cheers Soapy
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Some really nice photos there JK.... The Bluebells look great

Enjoy Wales
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby garyhortop » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:38 pm

That looked like a cracking wander JK and what some stunning photo's!!!!

I thought the early onset teenager really caught the moment for all those budding parents out there to what the joys of teenager huff's can look like. I wish I could say that they grow out them as they get into the 20's....sady not! That could have been a photo of both my step daughters!!! :D

Really though....amzing wander and some really atmospheric shot's there!!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland