walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum - a better way?!

Ben Challum - a better way?!

Postby IainMacG » Sat May 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 24/05/2013

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 900m

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Guide book routes are normally good - they are tried and tested and follow the wisdom of many experienced mountaineers over many years...
...but very occasionally you look at a map and the description and it just doesn't look right. The standard head-on approach to Ben Challum is one of those. A straight up and back route on what every description acknowledges is a boring and boggy route. So why do it???

Instead we started at Auchtertyre Farm (SAC research station) and headed up the track up Gleann a' Chlachain - keeping L of the river. This climbs nicely up the glen through some terrain that has been wonderfully fenced from the sheep and deer pest and is regenerating nicely.
IMG_1562.jpg
Looking back down the approach glen - with the track behind

At the end of the track a wee climb gains the bealach just below 600m below the good looking NW ridge of Ben Challum. A nice looking ascent and far, far preferable to the usual route (but which makes a perfectly good descent route).
IMG_1561.jpg
NW ridge of Ben Challum

The ascent ends pretty much on the summit of Ben Challum leaving the wonderful summit ridge as a descent towards the lesser top.
Further on, trend R towards the rail viaduct and you can again pass under it - this time on the SE side of the river (L as you are looking down the glen).
IMG_1566.jpg
Descending towards the rail viaduct - over 100 years old!

Just after you have passed underneath there is a stile and a lovely wee walk down through the woods next to the river to finish through the farm and a bridge back to the NW side of the river and back to the car.

The route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IainMacG
Stravaiging

Munros:191   Corbetts:21
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Ben Challum - a better way?!

Postby TRG318 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 pm

You can remove the question mark from your title: this is without doubt a better way of tackling Ben Challum. I did it today and had a great circular hillwalk, returning to the walkers' car park at Auchtertyre Farm with dry feet and clean boots. Many thanks!
TRG318

Munros:107   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:23   

Postby IainMacG » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:08 pm

Do you know, that’s made my day!
Thanks for taking the effort to post - making me glad I made the effort to write my route report!
slàinte / cheers
IainMacG
Stravaiging

Postby gaffr » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:04 am

The road end in Glen Lochay is also an interesting side from which to reach both Challum and Creag Mhor. :) When I am out with folks to visit a hill on a return effort I often choose an approach from another side. For Challum from Strath Fillan it was more recently well within the last decade. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby NeepNeep » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 am

I agree. I'd left this hill on the night of my ML assessment. The assessor at the time said if anyone wanted to go and bag it in the evening go ahead....I couldn't be bothered.

Last year I spotted inversion weather on the cards and made a plan for Ben Challum - I wanted a slightly longer day so added the two Corbetts to the N and NW - Beinn Charorach and Cam Chreag. This was a fine mountain day and I didn't see anyone until the final parts of the descent. Cracking route up the hill. Thanks for posting.
NeepNeep
Stravaiging

Munros:105   Corbetts:28
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:79   

Postby echappers1 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:17 am

Thinking of trying Ben Challum again after having to abort on a previous attempt. Could do without re-treading the boggy woe slopes of the main route though so this alternative looks good.

Can I just ask where you parked though? Did you nab a cheeky space near the wigwams or just use the layby on the A82 and walk to your start point at Auchtertyre?
echappers1
Bird-watcher

Munros:30   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:2   

Postby IainMacG » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:40 am

echapper1 - see my original report and map but yes, just park at SAC Auchertyre (which I think is also the wigwams place?).
IIRC there’s a wee car park just after you turn off - basically for walkers.
IainMacG
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:56 pm

Yes, take the turning with the sign for the wigwams and there is ample parking just before the bridge at Auchtertyre (NN353290). It is indeed a very worthwhile alternative to the normal route. There is a steep rocky section about a third of the way up the NW ridge - the slabs on the right hand side of this are a nice wee scramble on clean rock, but you can bypass this easily on the left.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby IainMacG » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:11 pm

Nice one - thanks for confirming “jmarkb” 👍
IainMacG
Stravaiging

Postby KatTai » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:49 pm

Saving this route for the future! Sounds like a great alternative :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Nelsonzon » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:31 pm

Me and my friends used your gpx today, and I can only thank you very much for posting your walk all those years ago, this is absolutely a better way to climb this hill!👍
Nelsonzon
Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:7
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   

Postby IainMacG » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:58 am

@Nelsonzon thanks so much for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated.
Almost ten years ago now that I posted that!
How were the regenerating trees coming on in approach glen???!

cheers
IainMacG
Stravaiging

Postby Nelsonzon » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:47 pm

Sorry but never really noticed, as the weather was so good yesterday, that we were preoccupied with the views of the rest of Scotland! :roll:
Nelsonzon
Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:7
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   

Postby MountainTrail » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:42 pm

Hi Iain , great route you provided , much better than the up and down bogfest . Walked it last Friday evening in wet conditions . Remained dry throughout and really enjoyed the final 400m ascent to the summit. Regeneration appears to be going really well with a fine spread of vegetation in the glen . Would recommend this walk to Ben Challum . A couple of pics here , as well as a similar angle to yours , cheers :D
Attachments
IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7795.JPG
MountainTrail

Munros:281   Corbetts:29
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:12   

Postby IainMacG » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:04 am

Smashing - glad this report is still helping people!
Thanks for taking the time to let me know. And for those pics - interesting to see how the trees have filled in (although I’m surprised it doesn’t stretch further up the glen!)
IainMacG
Stravaiging

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland